I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can anyone help me confirm before I have my mechanic swap it....
    purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards

Can anyone help me confirm before I have my mechanic swap it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: i think my drilled/dimpled rotors were installed backwards

Had to resize pictures here they are, it is of the drivers side front wheel.
    Attached Images

bmoore2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Those are dimpled/slotted, and for what they are, their orientation is fine.

Wow, thanks super helpful espically since you don't know what I paid. Yes I see now I typed drilled instead of slotted.

I'd be willing to bet you paid more than the $35/per that AC Delco stock replacements cost.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I pretty much agree with bmoore2. That said, I don't think you CAN install them backwards.

I'm not sure where you found front AC Delco brand rotors for $35 each but no I paid 60 for the pair. Though I'm not asking for opinions or a debate on brake technology simply advice from someone who actually knows the answer and isn't just here to criticize.

Yup if mounted on the wrong side they will whistle. Depending on the design they will whistle anyways just less noticable. sometimes they are marked R or L other times not.

Oh, you mean backwards as in left vs right. Now I see what you mean.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Me thinks that rotor should be on the passenger side...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: i think my Slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards

According to several different brake websites, your dimpled/slotted rotors are installed backwards.

Theory says that the dimples allow for gas relief during HEAVY braking while slots move air and dust OUT of the rotor, so theoretically you're now spinning dust and grit into the hub, not out of the rotor.

Get into www.ebcbrakes.com, automotive brakes, America and surf through the INFO links at the bottom of the page. Somewhere in there is a link with pictures of mounted slotted and slotted/dimpled rotors as well as the theory and reasoning behind the different types.

I can testify that bmoore2's comments concerning brake noise and premature wear on a FWD Cadillac are probably opinion rather than experience - I have personally now done 4 (no, not all that many, in the order of things) slotted rotor/ceramic pad installs - My STS, another STS, an SLS and a DTS. None of these cars has noisy, squeaky, chattery, wear-prone brakes to date, and 2 of them are highway cars with 2 years on the installs. In my car's case, the slotted rotors/ceramic pads will stop the car quicker more times with less fade than the stock brake set - and I still have that set if anyone would like to look at original stock STS brakes after 52,000 miles of rural and highway driving. (Yes, most aftermarket "performance" brake sets cost more - in some cases a LOT more - than the OEM stock brakeset.)

Here is the LR rotor and pads during my install about 1.5 year ago............

Re: I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards

I guess I stand corrected. Sorry bout that. I'll edit my post.

Direction is determined by the internal vaning of the rotors, not the shallow grooves cut in the surface.

If the vanes in the rotor are curved, then there is a left/right orientation.
    If the vanes are not curved, then there is no difference in "performance" in whatever way they are installed.

The first posting of pictures shows that the vanes are not curved. Doesn't matter how they are installed.

If you are tracking your car, congratulations, I guess, they can make a marginal difference in fade. On the street? If you're driving the car to the point that slotting makes a difference, then you're driving like a maniac. (I'd more say it's the ceramic pads that make the most difference you're seeing, they tend to have much more initial "bite" than semi-metallic pads.)

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by bmoore2 View Post
    The first posting of pictures shows that the vanes are not curved. Doesn't matter how they are installed.
    There is a label on the rotor, look again at the picture. Look at Sub's pictures, are they curved? Don't look like it to me...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

bmoore2 is talking about the internal vanes (in the front rotors only) which are used for cooling because the fronts do about 70+ % of the brake work. In some rotors the internal vanes are skewed - sort of like the vanes in a centrifugal water pump - so that, when turned in the proper direction, the vanes tend to "pump" cool air from the hub area out the outer diameter of the rotor. In reality, whether the internal vanes are skewed or radially straight they still move quite a bit of air through the rotor - the inside surface of the rotor does not meet the hub - it's cast as (attached to) the back side of the vanes, so you can see the inner edges of the vanes at the hub also.

Look real hard - the fronts are "hollow", the rears are solid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.