I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I understand that about the internal vanes. What I was trying to point out is either the casting or label ...
    dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: I think my slotted/dimpled rotors were installed backwards

I understand that about the internal vanes. What I was trying to point out is either the casting or label in the images indicate the side of the car they go on. Arrows on image....

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

................and, FWIW, those black rotors came in individual boxes labeled "L" and "R".

Head for your nearest high performance automobile dealer. Snoop around their topline models in whatever you want - BMW, Cadillac, Jaguar, Chevrolet, Mercedes, Ford etc., etc. The models with slotted or dimpled/slotted rotors ............ which way do the rotors "point" ?

In Rock Auto - your car, brakes, rotor. AC Delco high performance rotors are sold by part number - left and right. Which way do the rotors "point" for each part number ?

This may prove interesting - and make sure to go through the blue links at the bottom of the pages - there's a ton of brake info in there.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...rs/index.shtml

bmoore2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What may be more interesting is the fact that the best brake upgrade is often the tires.

If you have sufficient braking power to lock up the wheels, then the only difference braking "upgrades" will make is in modulation (which is going to be overridden by ABS in near-maximum stops, anyway). There is no way to brake beyond the friction coeficient of your tires, so that is the ultimate limiting factor.

No question about that ^^^ and no doubt that brake lockup is the worst way to stop a car in a hurry - BUT the "upgrade" rotors and pads allow you to brake harder, faster, longer before fade sets in. If you track, autocross, or drive in a "spirited manner" on rural roads then consistent, strong braking ability enters the picture.

Traction control and ABS uses wheel speed as one of the threshold values to initiate the system - poor tires will skid - trigger ABS - sooner than good or excellent "sticky" tires, so there's a sliding scale there: On the SAME car two different sets of tires may well have a different "stopping power" before ABS sets in. (and yes, more powerful brakes factor in there too, as that also affects wheel speed.)

Just for grins and kicks, in 05/11, just before doing my brake/pad work I did several forceful stops from above 120 mph. At the end of the second stop there were essentially NO brakes - it literally felt like, when you stepped on the pedal, the car went faster. (Not so, but a weird feeling, and been there, done that with drum brakes during sports car racing years ago) After 500+ miles of break-in with the new rotors/pads I could (and can) do 3 successive stops from above 100 before fade sets in.

No, I'll never need that level of brake ability on the way to the Burger Doodle or in local suburban/rural sane driving - but it's comforting to know that the extra margin is there if needed. Does Grandpa need that level of braking ??? Probably not. But I am in a country setting, still enjoy driving a machine to its limits and occasionally do, in fact, use the extra braking to advantage.

All good points. My point is that there are no times in normal driving where you will need to do several 120mph+ stops in succession. If you're on a public road and you need to scrub off 100mph in a hurry because you need to stop to avoid something, then need to scrub off another 100mph in a hurry before the brakes have cooled, you're doing something wrong.

I think the ceramic pads make more of a difference in feel and power than any modifications to the rotors, but having whatever extra margin for "playing" on country roads is understood. Most times that I see slotted rotors / "big" brake kits, though, the explanation is "it makes the car stop so much quicker," which simply isn't the case. If you really want to stop faster, get something like this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE-11 and stop quicker on stock brakes than any level of brake upgrades on all-seasons.

Tires can easily make your car stop much faster, it's a shame there isn't anything reasonably available to make these GO much faster.

03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS
    To original question, my Brembo drilled are set up the same. And that's per manufacturer instructions. So to answer your question, I think it's based on the manufacturer rather then opinions of how things think they should work.

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

Why would you even want more braking power in a deville?

Only stood on my brakes once(car pulled out in front of me), it completely changed my mind on buying high performance rotors and pads.

03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS
    I drive about 200miles a day in DC traffic where the beltway can go from 0-60 then back to 0 in a blink of an eye. My stock rotors warped due to the up and heavy down speeds. After 2nd set oem rotors warped, I went with Brembo. Never an issue. Got about 30g miles on them with ceramic pads. Did I pay more. Yes. Do I like the fact my car will stop no matter what. Yes. Extra couple hundred to value my car and my life worth it? Definitely a yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 03GrayDTS View Post
    I drive about 200miles a day in DC traffic where the beltway can go from 0-60 then back to 0 in a blink of an eye. My stock rotors warped due to the up and heavy down speeds. After 2nd set oem rotors warped, I went with Brembo. Never an issue. Got about 30g miles on them with ceramic pads. Did I pay more. Yes. Do I like the fact my car will stop no matter what. Yes. Extra couple hundred to value my car and my life worth it? Definitely a yes.
    This is another popular misconception. Rotors do not typically "warp," instead what you feel is vibration due to material from the pad transferred to the rotor due to several factors, most often not allowing your brakes to cool properly after hard and/or long stops. This is almost entirely preventable. I'd say your lack of problems with the most recent set is due to your brake pad compound change instead of "rawr Brembos."

All you want to know about that stuff here: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    Including
    Other than proper break in, as mentioned above, never leave your foot on the brake pedal after you have used the brakes hard. This is not usually a problem on public roads simply because, under normal conditions, the brakes have time to cool before you bring the car to a stop (unless, like me, you live at the bottom of a long steep hill).

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

Because even with brand new brakes the car doesn't stop like I would like it to. I know how to drive a car so I don't need any lessons in planning stops or other comments to that effect please. My '05 DeVille seems to require an appointment to stop when compared to many cars I have owned. I realize it is a large and heavy car compared to many but the way this thing brakes doesn't inspire confidence. I had to do a quick stop on the Interstate a week ago and I wasn't even going 50 mph. it was by simple luck I didn't hit the car in front of me. Of the larger cars I've had my Seville and Jaguar VDP stopped better. So it seems something has to be wrong here. I have no fantasy about turning this thing in to a track car but I would very much like to improve the stopping ability. Any recommendations from firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Slotted/dimpled rotors will not increase braking force. In fact, having less surface area, they actually decrease braking force. Their point is to keep gas from building up between the pads and rotors under heavy and/or long braking applications.

What kind of pads are you using?

Is the pedal mushy or hard to press?

Yep ^^^^

FWIW, DBA-One's Deville weighs just about exactly the same as my STS - 4,000 pounds +/- 50. The EBC slotted brakes and Redstuff ceramic pads on my car WILL, without question - stop it faster, straighter, more reliably before fade than the OEM brakeset - the difference is not The New Coming, but is IS noticeable.

www.ebcbrakes.com - Automotive, American - many informative links.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    How are the shocks/struts/elc system?
    My 98 stopped like a pig due to elc not functioning, think all that weight transfering forward.
    Once I fixed it stopping was much better.
    Since you had the brakes off did you check everything over real good for corrosion? If the rears aren't adjusting out as they should that'll cause some issues also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.