Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I pulled this Push rod out of my moms 92 Deville after she heard the engine start tapping yesterday. I ...
    seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!

Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9

I pulled this Push rod out of my moms 92 Deville after she heard the engine start tapping yesterday. I pulled the Valve cover and noticed the rocker arm was loose so I removed it and pulled the Rod... heres what it looks like...

Ive never gone any deeper into a 4.9 let alone MANY engines at all. ive done a few intakes, rockers, etc. but not on a 4.9.
    what do you guys think went on here??? Is it a straight fwd repair (pull intake, new lifter/rod)?? or is it worse than that?
    I have a FSM for our 94 Deville 4.9, hoping it wiill help me out with the 92 4.9.
    She loves her Cadi too much to let it go and is pretty bummed out about it so
    Im thinking positive here... any advice will be great guys!

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9

Is that the rocker end or the lifter end?

That's the lifter side.

Also, if anyone can tell me where to purchase the replacement parts from. So far im assuming I will need push rod and lifter. Along with any gaskets and other normal items.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Looks like the lifter is bad. Which could mean the cam is also bad. Once you get a look at the lifter, let us know.

Ok, I should have the intake off this weekend. I hope the cam isn't shot... :-(

This is the first 4.9 intake I've removed. Is it pretty straight fwd? How much can I leave attached to the intake much and still lift off? Don't want to remove anything unnecessary.

Very straightforward. I don't remember it being worth the effort to leave everything attached as it's all readily accessible anyway. That said, if you reall want to, I'm pretty sure you can leave the TB, EGR, and fuel rail on and remove it all as a unit with the manifold. Other major items in your way, not including little sensors and brackets, include the alternator (remove), PS pump/tensioner bracket (lines can remain connected, just unbolt and shift to the side), distributor (remove, obviously), valve covers, rockers, etc... Just remove anything in the way. No tricks.

The only potential area of concern to the inexperienced is the rockers. You had to have touched this area to show us a picture of the pushrod, but I'll reiterate this anyway. These are mounted on a support bar that bolts onto the head studs. DO NOT attempt to remove the individual rockers as you would on a classic OHV engine. The pivot bolts are self-tapping, threaded into an aluminum bar. Risk of stripping threads is high. Instead, remove the bar and rockers as one unit.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

Allante's replaced this rocker mount bar with one made from steel. The Allante was expected to run in a higher rpm range more and they switched to steel from aluminum just for this reason.

Ok, got her torn apart and heres how the lifter looks....
    This is exactly how it was removed, the seat ( dont know the correct term) was out of wack and im guessing the push rod sunk down a little wich caused all the scoring and loose rocker arm. the bottom roller on the lifter looks nice and shiny, no marks of any kind, and looking down the hole the cam also looks smooth and shiny. im hoping this means everything is ok??? some professional advice and input would help me out alot since this is my first time working on the 4.9.

Doing the waterpump while im here since i noticed a slight leak under the pump pulley. Could someone please stear me in the right direction to get EVERYTHING I need new to reassemble this?
    push rod
    lifter
    WP
    gaskets
    etc.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WOW! Never saw a lifter like that. That certainly would explain the push rod. I would think it should be fine after replacing it.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

You can get a lifter from several different places, GM #17109057 about 30 bucks. The water pump if going for a new AC Delco is about down to dealer item, getting real hard to find from other parts stores resources. Reman can be bought from almost any of the parts stores but I wouldn't buy a reman, (just me as I prefer GM new pump and yes they are expensive). Push tube you are going to have trouble finding one new. If it were me I'd go to the salvage yard and grab a push tube. Not sure I'd buy a used lifter, but I suppose it would be OK if it were low mileage and I couldn't find one anywhere. Gaskets can be bought from most any parts stores or onliune sources. Go with the common brands like Victor or Felpro, should be ok with either. Use some ultra black for the ends of the intake in the corners and on the blocks on the top end under valve covers on the blocks. Look real close at all of the other lifters to be sure they aren't missing the ring at the top that holds the innerds together. Looks like the snap ring on that failed lifter came off. MAke sure you get the torque specs on reassembly as it is critical on rocker arm support, tightening sequence and torque. Same with intake manifold, don't guess get the sequence and torque spec. If you need those I can post up some images from the FSM for the asking.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Ouch. Usually there is a clip that holds that cap in the lifter in place so you might want to see if you can find it. If you can't find a new pushrod quicly you can probably reuse the old one but make sure it's straight and smooth out the scrapes. I've had a better luck with new aftermarket waterpumps then delco ones.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    I've had a better luck with new aftermarket waterpumps then delco ones.
    Ditto, times 1000000.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    Ouch. Usually there is a clip that holds that cap in the lifter in place so you might want to see if you can find it. If you can't find a new pushrod quicly you can probably reuse the old one but make sure it's straight and smooth out the scrapes. I've had a better luck with new aftermarket waterpumps then delco ones.
    There are several grades of Delco water pumps out there. Just because the box says AC Delco on it does not mean it is the better one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.