Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Darth Mobius If you are going to be doing this more than just this one time, have ...
    seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!

Re: Help please! what happened to this pushrod? 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mobius View Post
    If you are going to be doing this more than just this one time, have your mom (or whoever own the car) invest in the Repair Manual on CD. The one for my 94 Deville was only $15, and as I said, it will work for the MOTOR of the '92 and the '94.
    Way ahead of ya my friend :-)
    I have both service manuals for my girls 94(which helped with the 4.9), got an FSM for my 79 also. Ill have a 92 FSM very soon also.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Well, according to the guy who put the motor in my car (a 1993 4.9 liter in a 1994 Deville) the motors are exactly the same, for the 91-94 or something like that (Check with a GM mechanic, that is what he did), so if you can find the part for the same motor in a different year, it should work just fine.
    Not exactly the same. 1991 was the first year for 4.9 and quite a few improvements were made in 1992. Also the 4.9 was made from 91 to 95.

Update:
    went out this weekend and finished the job, dropped in a new lifter, used a good straight rod I had.
    Felpro gaskets, went with a NEW Napa try Flo water pump (lifetime warr)
    for $60. Seems well built. Time will tell.
    I noticed about 5-6 random pushrods were completely clogged with sludge. Blew them out. Buttoned it all up and car ran great that night and the next day. Yesterday morn my mom fired up the car and it started slappin again.
    So I went out today and pulled the valve cover, looks and feels ok. Fired it up and watched I noticed it took a few minutes for oil to make its way out of the pushrods, the tick went away after 2min. 3 of the pushrods would only show oil if I revved it up to over 2-3000 rpm or so. I pulled the rods again just to look at the lifter bowls and see if it looked ok. Look fine. Pushrods are clear. Put it all back together and it runs fine, no tick. But a few rods still dont show oil unless its revved up. could the lifters be sticking occasionally? Why would these rods not flow oil? Could the major sludge I found in the pushrods back in the beginning tell me there might be an oiling problem? Something sludged up and restricting flow? Like I said it runs great but I dont want something to cause a problem again. What about an oil additive to run thru it and do a couple quick oil changes. Any ideas?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you had sludge in the push rods, you can bet there is sludge elsewhere. Might try shorting it one qt of oil and replacing it with a qt or trans fluid or MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) to try and clean it up.
    98eldo32v and 98eldo32v like this.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

^^^^^ Sounds like good advice. I'd go a weight lighter on the oil also.

So far so good.
    thanks for everyone's help and input. It helped me out greatly and hope this will help someone else if needed in the future.

aeronca36606 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado

These engines are known to sludge up a lot if there are any coolant leaks into the crankcase. These can come from a failed intake manifold gasket or less likely a failed cylinder sleeve o-ring. The 4.9 is the best of the 4.x series and is least likely to have this kind of failure. The 4.1's where the worst. It could also be from plain old poor maintenance / lack of oil changes. If you want to attempt to fix the problem you may want to replace all of the lifters and push rods after you try the oil tricks. If you have access or can borrow a boroscope, (They are cheap nowadays. Just got one for around $100) You should take a look at the lifter oil galleys. With the lifter removes you should be able to get a good enough look to see if they are plugged up.

Darth Mobius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If you had sludge in the push rods, you can bet there is sludge elsewhere. Might try shorting it one qt of oil and replacing it with a qt or trans fluid or MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) to try and clean it up.
    Or, run a couple quarts of Tranny fluid for a few minutes with a clean oil filter (not for too long, but definitely long enough to clear out your nastiness in the engine, I would say five or ten minutes at idle, not driving it) and then complete the oil change a s normal. (This was recommended to me by my Auto Tech teacher in college. Tranny fluid is actually a more pure lubricant with a lower viscosity and just as much protection power. I once had to run a quart and a half of Tranny fluid for a week before I got my oil changed and the truck ran BETTER when I was done)

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    ^^^^^ Sounds like good advice. I'd go a weight lighter on the oil also.
    What weight are you using? I ran 10W-30 for a few months in my 92 Deville, and about this time of year she started idling rougher, taking longer to start, and just generally being a very unhappy car. I swapped her to 5W-30 and ALL of those problems went away and never came back.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Tranny fluid is actually a more pure lubricant with a lower viscosity and just as much protection power.
    I believe it's also higher detergent.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Depends on where you live on oil weight to be honest. Up in the great white north I always ran 5w30 in the winter when usual was 10w30 or even 10w40. Here in the south I run 10w30 winter and 10w40 summer or even 10w40 all year, depends on what's on sale
    The trans fluid is a good idea, but a little is good more is NOT better...

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

With mine I'm running 10W30 in the warm half of the year and 5W30 in the winter. It gets cold enough here that with 10W30 sometimes it hardly turns over.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I run 10w-30 all year round. If it means anything I try and let her warm up in the winter, and of course I drive with a leadfoot once she is

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

should have replaced all the lifters while it was apart!

Quote Originally Posted by houg View Post
    should have replaced all the lifters while it was apart!
    Not an option. At $30 a piece, it was out of budget. Plus they all looked fine, car ran great just prior to that lifter collapse, so I dont think it was really necessary. After the flush, and both oil changes I pulled the valve cover and oil flow up the rods look good. Hopefully everything will be fine now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.