Harmonic balancer/crankshaft vibration? 05 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By oldmanlesabre
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Harmonic balancer/crankshaft vibration? 05 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I popped the hood yesterday after a good amount of driving yesterday as I wanted to see everything once it ...
    oldmanlesabre is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

Harmonic balancer/crankshaft vibration? 05 Deville

I popped the hood yesterday after a good amount of driving yesterday as I wanted to see everything once it had warmed up real good, as I haven't been driving the car lately, and needed to do a routine check of things. I finally saw where my tensioner does start to have play when the compressor kicks in , I knew it was getting weak so no more driving the car till I put it on during my next few days off. I just have never seen it have any movement until yesterday. Then I looked at everything else, and noticed my balancer vibrating...I know it is a vibration damper, and NO it was not a wobble. The outer portion of the balancer was rotating smoothly with no movement....the bolt LOOKED to be tight....but that doesn't really tell me much. Last time I had a better look at the balancer it looked in decent shape, Its hard to see from up above, but watching the bolt...there was some movement in the center portion of the balancer that made me uneasy. I am not getting any engine codes, but still, it seemed a bit off to me. Is this kind of vibration normal in the center portion or is that a sure sign of the balancer going out...or something else? I have NO oil loss....thankfully. The only balancer I have replaced rested snug up on the crank-bolted in, with a sensor behind it. Is it possible the bolt is coming loose? I would think there would be wobbling in the wheel/pulley itself if that were the case. Is there another sort of rubber bushing behind the balancer or anything else that could be failing? Thoughts anyone? I finally have some days off coming up and the change to take care of some things....well I had the change, I bought what I thought was all I needed, although now I am not sure. Could this be related to the weakness in the tensioner?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Harmonic balancer/crankshaft vibration? 05 Deville

If your damper bolt was loose, you would be loosing oil pressure. And it would most likely turn your oil light on.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If it ain't broke don't fix it, and don't get paranoid.

As posted, if the balancer hub was loose, no oil pressure. If the pulley itself was rotating smoothly, not to worry. If the rubber coupling between the pulley and hub was faulty, the pulley wobbles - wobbles - not the hub.

Ah, thank you! I do tend to worry, especially about something like that...but some of the worry went away with noticing the pulley looked to be rotating smooth...some of it. I had a balancer fail on me...really due to lack of knowledge and negligence i guess, the replacement was not correct...ended up having to have one shipped in from dealer...it was a royal pain. I assume over time that rubber on the damper has to wear out though? I will look at the condition of the rubber this weekend when I have a better angle on it.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Very rarely does a damper fail.

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

Was there any particular reason for this inspection like felt vibration in the car or some kind of noise?

No, I just know there are a few things I need to do, I like to look beforehand, and I also just like to look occasionally-I have been an 'operator' in more than one industry now, biggest part of the job is getting used to how everything should look, sound, and feel on a regular basis so its easier to tell when something is not quite right, and its helped me catch a lot of things before going from slightly off to horribly wrong, so I do the same with my car. On a side note....I really have to say I enjoy the placement of that belt tensioner... **** YOU GM! need to go buy a 15mm offset wrench, have to wait till monday unless I want to drive 80 miles to get one. Why is everything on my american car metric? not that I have a problem with metric...but convert or quit using this half metric half standard bs! Guess I will go take a stab at my plugs, and see about that water pump tensioner...

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanlesabre View Post
    No, I just know there are a few things I need to do, I like to look beforehand, and I also just like to look occasionally-I have been an 'operator' in more than one industry now, biggest part of the job is getting used to how everything should look, sound, and feel on a regular basis so its easier to tell when something is not quite right, and its helped me catch a lot of things before going from slightly off to horribly wrong, so I do the same with my car. On a side note....I really have to say I enjoy the placement of that belt tensioner... **** YOU GM! need to go buy a 15mm offset wrench, have to wait till monday unless I want to drive 80 miles to get one. Why is everything on my american car metric? not that I have a problem with metric...but convert or quit using this half metric half standard bs! Guess I will go take a stab at my plugs, and see about that water pump tensioner...
    Most everybody who has tools usually has standard. Gotta get your money somehow!

Good thing I bought a WAL-MART socket set that has both. I am genuinely impressed by its longevity. I've gotten mad and trhown the socket driver, hucked it at the ground as hard as I could, dropped the entire set, accidentally kicked it, and it hasn't had ANY problems. WOW.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.