P2763 Code, oh joy! Consequences and costs??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By 13ir14314
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, P2763 Code, oh joy! Consequences and costs?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. I have a 2004 Deville with 128,000 miles that just started shifting hard through all the gears with ...
    arifleman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 deville

P2763 Code, oh joy! Consequences and costs??

Hi all. I have a 2004 Deville with 128,000 miles that just started shifting hard through all the gears with a service engine light and current code PCM P2763, TCC Solenoid. (Naturally this occurs just as wife and I start talking about replacing the old deville with a newer car) I understand this indicates a failure of the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid. Questions:

1. How long can car be driven with the hard shifting, i.e., what are consequences of not repairing or trading it in quickly? Common sense tells me that harsh shifting cannot be good for neighboring components.

2. Any ideas on cost of this type repair?

3. Are there any things I should check for under the hood or underneath car that might be causing this failure? Car has been a reasonably good runner except for the rear main oil seal leak which developed sometime soon after warranty so it is a little oily down underneath the car.

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: P2763 Code, oh joy! Consequences and costs??

Quote Originally Posted by arifleman View Post
    Hi all. I have a 2004 Deville with 128,000 miles that just started shifting hard through all the gears with a service engine light and current code PCM P2763, TCC Solenoid.....
    The definition of your P2763 is Short to voltage in the TCC Solenoid.

....I understand this indicates a failure of the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid.
    Not necessarily, not even one of the first items to be concerned about.

If it was my car, I would remove all the intake air plumbing duct work between the air filter box and the throttle body to gain access to the "round" 20 pin connector that electrically connects the transaxle to the chassis wire harness.

Also remove the intake air filter and whatever else has to be removed to gain access to the PCM and connectors that tie the PCM to the chassis wire harness.

Now you are ready to use bright light and a magnifying glass to inspect for foreign material in both sides of those connectors as well as inspecting the chassis wire harness for damage.

A spray can of electrical contact cleaner is a handy tool.

....Common sense tells me that harsh shifting cannot be good for neighboring components.
    In fact, GM powertrain engineers defaulted to high pressure to protect the transaxle when certain faults are detected.

....except for the rear main oil seal leak which developed sometime soon after warranty so it is a little oily down underneath the car.
    I would be suspicious of a 100,000+ mile Northstar that was NOT oily underneath. That oil dripping is of no consequence and the rear main oil seal is NOT the sole source or even the major source of the seepage.

Thanks Jim. I will take a look at those connections this weekend. Should that fail, I have a transmission shop appointment next Tuesday to get a diagnosis and estimate. I will keep this board updated.

Update:

Hi Jim. Well, I pulled the air box this weekend and the only connection under there is a bank of three large connectors side by side. Is this where the 20 port connection is? Do you know which of the three is the tranny connection? I didn't pull any of them since I was guessing at that point. This was under the air intake box (just to the left of the air filter housing).

The local Aamco transmission shop today was a scam. They had the car all day to diagnose and when I stopped by in late afternoon they told me the transmission would need to come out for a rebuild, about $3000. When I asked what their diagnosis steps were they said they looked at the fluid, drove it, and dropped the tranny pan - it was full of shavings. B.S.! I know they didn't drop that pan - not for a no fee inspection. They did no diagnosis of the wiring.

So I guess I will make a call to the nearest Cadillac dealer. I don't know if I can get any satisfaction that way either. I would like to get someone that knows their way around a multi-meter to diagnose the wiring harness according to Cadillac's shop manual. If all these places can offer is a used or rebuilt tranny, I would have to think real hard about spending $3000 on a car that is only worth maybe $5000. Might be easier to sell as is with the hard shift.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

If you go to the dealer there will scan it and use tool J44152 to test the 20 way connector Its round and connects the fuse and PCM to the transmission if you take the connector apart look at the transmission side you will see a white (ign. side) wire and a tan tcc pwm solenoid wire they might be marked on the connector as U/white and T/tan . Resistance between U and T is 10 to 25 ohms resistance from T to all others except U is 250k ohms.

If any reading is off you have one of two problems a internal transmission wire harness fault or or a bad tcc pwm solenoid valve it is the larger of the 2 valves held in with a clip remove and check the valve for dirt inspect or replace the seals remove the springs pin the clutch control valve and spring inspect the valve bore for nicks scratches or wear.

To replace the trans wiring harness or its extension you have to remove the trans.

Needless to say check the control valve first, pan removal. Mike

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The local Aamco transmission shop today was a scam. They had the car all day to diagnose and when I stopped by in late afternoon they told me the transmission would need to come out for a rebuild, about $3000. When I asked what their diagnosis steps were they said they looked at the fluid, drove it, and dropped the tranny pan - it was full of shavings. B.S.! I know they didn't drop that pan - not for a no fee inspection. They did no diagnosis of the wiring.
    Now there's a shocker.

So here's the final update on this car: The dealer appointment was this morning to evaluate and r&r solenoid issue in transmission for an estimated $1500 parts and labor. I thought that sounded reasonable.

In the last couple days though I had a sudden loss of recovery tank coolant over a 24 hour period. This car has been leaching maybe 2 ounces of coolant a month from unknown source over the last year. Couple that with a sloshing sound of water in the cabin when the car is under motion, also increasing over the last year (symptoms starting to sound familiar to some of you wrench heads?) Anyway I had the dealer check the coolant issue BEFORE tackling the transmission. The car failed! The crossover gasket is leaking at two points, and a block test showed exhaust gas in the coolant so dealer advises it is a head gasket failure as well.

At this point I think we'll just dump the car for whatever we can get out of it, as is condition. The local market for these used Devilles just isn't worth spending the $7000 or so the dealer estimates to put this car right again.

I still think it interesting the car picked this time to kaput - right as we have a new car on order. I'll take liberties paraphrasing an old quote, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a good car scorned".

A big thank you to the folks on this site. You have been most helpful over the years and I really appreciate the resource and advice this site provides. My very best to you all.

(By the by, Lexus gets our business this time around in case anyone at GM is taking notes.)

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

So here's the final update on this car: The dealer appointment was this morning to evaluate and r&r solenoid issue in transmission for an estimated $1500 parts and labor. I thought that sounded reasonable.

In the last couple days though I had a sudden loss of recovery tank coolant over a 24 hour period. This car has been leaching maybe 2 ounces of coolant a month from unknown source over the last year. Couple that with a sloshing sound of water in the cabin when the car is under motion, also increasing over the last year (symptoms starting to sound familiar to some of you wrench heads?) Anyway I had the dealer check the coolant issue BEFORE tackling the transmission. The car failed! The crossover gasket is leaking at two points, and a block test showed exhaust gas in the coolant so dealer advises it is a head gasket failure as well.

At this point I think we'll just dump the car for whatever we can get out of it, as is condition. The local market for these used Devilles just isn't worth spending the $7000 or so the dealer estimates to put this car right again.

I still think it interesting the car picked this time to kaput - right as we have a new car on order. I'll take liberties paraphrasing an old quote, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a good car scorned".

A big thank you to the folks on this site. You have been most helpful over the years and I really appreciate the resource and advice this site provides. My very best to you all.

(By the by, Lexus gets our business this time around in case anyone at GM is taking notes.)
    ----------------------------------
    before jumping to any conclusions about a bad head gasket -
    do your own BLOCK TEST -

Well 1500 for the PWM solenoid valve is very high do it yourself for less than a 100 bucks the pan gasket is reusable chances are a cleaning and new fluid will solve that problem.

Crossover leaking put somes bars leak in the lower radiator hose might solve that problem.

As advised do the block test yourself along with a system pressure check and the surge tank cap.

A 04 HG problem odds are against it much to soon to trash the car. Mike

Something is not right here you are trying to disguise it but you sound pleased. It like your saying see I told you cadillacs are POSs and now Im going to buy a great japlopy.

128000 and 8 years with a little oil under the car the car dont owe you anything.

I think you are confusing the TCC solenoid that engages the clutch with the Pulse Width Modulator Valve in the transmission control body. You dont have to remove the trans. to fix just the pan.

I dont care if you dont buy GM and Im pretty sure Gm dont either.

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

I wouldn't drive a lexus if it was given to me for free.

Imported cars hurt our michigan economy bad, and they also have a tendency to get cut off keyed etc on our roads.

There are lots of nice options from buick chevy and chrysler (the new 300 seems more deville like than the new xts in my opinion) that are much better than an asian made pos.

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5514
    Crossover leaking put somes bars leak in the lower radiator hose might solve that problem.
    I would never recommend anybody do this. I bought my deville knowing it had a coolant leak and was told it was the water pump. It ended up being the thermostat o-ring then three months later the coolant cross-over. When I got in there it was obvious that someone had put a sealer in there and made a huge mess and made the job a lot more difficult.
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.