TCC solenoid??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 70cougar
  • 2 Post By Mojo88
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, TCC solenoid?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey I wanted to replace my TCC solenoid, in my 2003 Deville base model, they told me that they are ...
    taylorrmj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Deville

TCC solenoid??

Hey I wanted to replace my TCC solenoid, in my 2003 Deville base model, they told me that they are 2 of them 1-4 solenoid and 2-3 solenoid??? I didn't know it was 2 so I didn't buy one yet? I do fill a slight jump once i hit 52miles and maybe another around 70-72 but nothing major. I did do the codes at autozone, & my own code reads P0741 TCC stuff Off and When I go through the emission the same code as well. So if anyone has replaced one or know which one I need to buy with the part# please let me know, and how to replace it, I like to get this done ASAP Iam tired of seeing the SES light on thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: TCC solenoid??

Based on your codes, the TCC solenoid is fine. You have a leaking seal on the torque converter clutch, and to fix it the transmission needs to be dropped. Pricey repair. Go to local transmission shops and get quotes, or, if you have time, do it yourself. There are members on here who have dropped transmissions in order to repair them, so we can help there. Lastly, if worse comes to worse, just drive the car as is. You'll lose a couple MPG, but AFAIK, no one has experienced anything further.

Hey so for the seals to be worn will cause the light to come on instead of the Solenoid being burnt and relaying the off signal to the DIC causing the SES light to come on?? I need to pass emissions and I thought just for me to replace the switch will cause the light to go off and pass emission it can come back on afterwards but i want to pass emissions if I have to drop the whole tranny just to pass emissions i will continue to pay the fine, until the tranny goes. but if any one can help thanks

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

There is a GM TSB that tells you what work needs to be done to fix a P0741:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...60-1998-a.html

As Luke said in post #2, it requires the transmission to come out. Costs about $1,500 at a good indie shop that knows what they are doing. Don't know what you pay every year for emission failure, but that's your trade-off.

Some claim you can drive around in 3rd gear and you'll get a "ready" code for emission tests and not trigger the SES, but on my car that trick did not work. My FSM says that P0741 is checked for in 3rd gear so I wasn't surprised.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by taylorrmj View Post
    Hey so for the seals to be worn will cause the light to come on instead of the Solenoid being burnt and relaying the off signal to the DIC causing the SES light to come on?? I need to pass emissions and I thought just for me to replace the switch will cause the light to go off and pass emission it can come back on afterwards but i want to pass emissions if I have to drop the whole tranny just to pass emissions i will continue to pay the fine, until the tranny goes. but if any one can help thanks
    -------------------------------------------
    the torque converter is supposed to go into "LOCK-UP"
    at speeds above 41 MPH unless you are accelerating -

if the P0741 code is by itself - the ONLY way it gets set is due to leaking seals -
    and the ONLY way to fix it is to remove the trans -

there IS a way to pass emissions -

clear the codes -

while driving for the next several days - before getting it tested -
    YOU MUST KEEP YOUR SPEEDS BELOW 41 MPH -

if you go above 41 MPH - and the driving conditions are right for getting into LOCK-UP -
    the leaking seal WILL cause the SES light to come on - and you will have to start the process over -

the above method is the only way you will pass emissions -
    the other possibility is trying to get a waiver due to the expense of the repair -

I will try that method before i go to emissions, the cost per trip is $14 and the only code is the P0741 but i will try that then ask for a wavier. thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your 4T80E transmission is FULL of sensors and solenoids - your first post referred to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids on the valve body. That's another, separate failure and replacement job from P0741 (TCC stuck OFF). P1860 refers to the TCC solenoid itself, which IS replaceable with the transmission in the car but separated 2" from the engine - it's microsurgery and you had better be good at it. It's in the Tech Tips forum.

For pictures and diagrams of a lot of your engine and transmission parts, look in my albums - click my username, open the profile, 2 albums, 6 pages in the left column. There are locator diagrams in there for all your transmission sensors/switches/solenoids.

If you currently have the SES light and transmission code, after you clear them and drive at less than 40 mph, it will take a week of driving to have the emissions and powertrain codes checked and the proper "ready" flags set by the car's OBD-II system. It takes as many as 15 normal starts, warmup, drive, stop sequences to set some of the "ready" flags, and they must ALL be set for the car to pass the test.

ok thanks

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I had similar issue on my '03 Base DeVille. I found good tranny shop and had it fixed. Yes, it was pricey, as the whole drive train has to be dropped. But now it's fixed and perfect.

IMHO, the only way you'll be happy is to get it fixed properly.

Good luck.................

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

If you're like this guy or me, you won't be happy till the SES light turns off

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

Paid 1600 to get mine fixed, you only loose a couple mpg1-2 under 70 (mine was 2-3, at speeds above 75 mph)

Also it shouldn't affect the life of your trans in any meaningful way, you will just continue to drive around and not have a torque converter.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by PineyJustice View Post
    Paid 1600 to get mine fixed, you only loose a couple mpg1-2 under 70 (mine was 2-3, at speeds above 75 mph)

Also it shouldn't affect the life of your trans in any meaningful way, you will just continue to drive around and not have a torque converter.
    ----------------------------------------------------

you will just continue to drive around and not have a torque converter

slight correction - the torque converter just won't go to lock-up -

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

Even though it was worded that way I'm fairly sure it got my point across, I'm pretty sure the code doesn't melt your torque converter into transmission fluid.

Either way, you should be able to drive around indefinitely with that issue, I just hated the fact it kept the SES light on potentially hiding other issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.