1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe ABS Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe ABS Light in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm looking into buying a 90 Fleetwood Coupe. So far, the only issue I can see is that when the ...
    smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe ABS Light

I'm looking into buying a 90 Fleetwood Coupe. So far, the only issue I can see is that when the car is started, the ABS & Brake lights remain on for about a minute, but do go out. Does anybody know what this means? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe ABS Light

Check the fluid level in the reservoir. I'm not absolutely positive about your year 90, but if memory serves me correctly, it has a Teves master cylinder pump assenbly. The ABS could be part of that assembly, which is expensive to repair or replace. Look at the master cylinder to see how much fluid is leaking out.

Being that the car is somewhat far away (35 or so miles, and I'm not eager to make the drive) I'm relying on what the seller has told me via the computer. Supposedly all the fluids were changed, including brake fluid. Is there anything else that would cause this, or something that the car computer could tell us? Thanks again.

You can't read ABS codes from your climate control and fuel data center, only the BCM and ECM (engine and body). I would never go by what somebody tells me over the puter or phone. Unless you know that brake system, I'd turn my back on that one. How do you know if it even stops? Brakes are nothing to take for granted.

ABS isn't something that I really need. Anyway, I could never make this car a daily driver. But, if problems go deeper than the ABS not working, I'll be sure to pass.

I would NEVER purchase a car sight unseen. I've wanted one of these for such a long time, and I will go take a look at it. If I do buy it, I'll be sure to report back! But I won't let my wanting one cloud my judgment. Thanks for all your help.

dosottawa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Fltwd Cpe(FWD-60,000km) Buicks 69 Lsabre

Interesting - I have the same year and model 2dr coupe - bought it 3 yrs ago with 60,000km now have 85,000km. It too always has the light stay on for about a minute before they go out - Other than a set of new tires and oil changes it has been trouble free- otherwise brakes are excellent - not had to touch them. But did do the water pump today! could hear the bearing on the pump so had it replace - quiet as a mouse now. Was worried about the idle seemed to be high but with the pump replacement all is good.

The 4.5 high performance engine is great and quick. How much re they asking?? Cheers

hey Dennis -been awhile see antelope 2dr pics http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2322867

Guess the car this guy may be considering is on ebay in NJ

I see. And I remember your Fleetwood. You know compnine.com can tell you how many of your Coupe were built and all that stuff. They will not call it a Fleetwood, but it will show the option list and if you know what that trim option is, drag it to the middle column at the bottom of the page to see how many were built with that option. And you have a Bose, any problems with it? Just type in the VIN. Free to use once a day.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Ebay in Jersey? Don't see it, must have either sold or ran out. Do you have the original listing? Also, did you get a FSM? I know the ABS in a 90 is a different animal than the 91-93.

Yup, ebay in Jersey. I'll probably be holding off on this one, because I don't want to buy a mess. Even at 70k, its a bit too in the mileage department, unless I got it cheap, and in all honesty, I can't decide between an 87-88 model, or the 89-93 style. Another thing that's put me off is that one of the plastic pieces between the taillamp and the right quarter panel looks somewhat grayed. I don't know if they discolor and fall apart like the bumper fillers on the earlier deVilles and Fleetwood Broughams, but being that the other side looks mint, and that I've never seen another of these cars with the same issue, I'm willing to bet something funny is going on.

Maybe if it goes for cheap enough, I might

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...item43b33dc5a5

Yup, ebay in Jersey. I'll probably be holding off on this one, because I don't want to buy a mess. Even at 70k, its a bit too in the mileage department, unless I got it cheap, and in all honesty, I can't decide between an 87-88 model, or the 89-93 style. Another thing that's put me off is that one of the plastic pieces between the taillamp and the right quarter panel looks somewhat grayed. I don't know if they discolor and fall apart like the bumper fillers on the earlier deVilles and Fleetwood Broughams, but being that the other side looks mint, and that I've never seen another of these cars with the same issue, I'm willing to bet something funny is going on.

Maybe if it goes for cheap enough, I might

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...item43b33dc5a5

Look at the pictures. Rarely will you see the engine compartment that clean and no signs of rust under the hood. Especially in Jersey. The mileage is not that high, if taken care of it has many more left in it's life. It would be worth the trip to me to look under that car to see what condition the under body is in. The RH filler, yes it looks dulled, faded whatever. That is one piece that can easily be taken off and painted to match. Any good body shop can take care of that. It has nice looking wheels, don't see to much wrong with it from the pictures.

Agreed - Well I had thought your questions were all fair ones - but I noted they were not all addressed in the reply? ...like how old was the paint?? So I asked for more detail (i.e. based on your questions asked previously).... as well as how long he has owned it? no reply to Ebay as of yet..... so it may not be what it looks like - always best to have look to see if it stands up to close inspection.

As I said previously mine is the same year and model...... it too has a delayed brake abs light that seems to stay on for about a minute before turning off.

You have to remember the age of the car, not that many miles for that age. Mine has a couple hundred shy of 130k, but I would not hesitate to get in it and drive it to Maine if I wanted to. But then I know what kind of shape it's in. Finding one in pristine condition is not that easy and you will pay considerably more for it. I guess I'm partial to coupes.

You both make very valid points. 70k over the course of 22 years is only a little over 3 thousand miles a year. In that sense, its a great car. Cosmetically, it *appears* to be a great car, but only a test drive/inspection by myself will confirm this.

I've wanted one of these styles of Cadillacs for close to 15 years now. My father had an 86 or 87 CDV and it is, to this date, despite it being cosmetically the worst maintained car on the road for miles around, my favorite car. I'm really in debate over whether or not I want an 89+ model, or if I want a car like my father's. If I got a newer (89 restyle being newer) model, The top of my list would be an 89 model, because of the super comfortable, steering wheel w/ telescopic, as well as the nicer (in my opinion) older style egg crate grille. The airbag steering wheel doesn't suit me as well as the older one does. Then, I'd go for a 4.9 car, which kind of leaves the 90 in an awkward spot.

Then, it comes to colors. I'd love a dark blue exterior with a white leather interior. Then red with white leather. Then blue with a full blue interior. Lastly, red with red interior. I've passed up some pretty nice examples over the years, and I've waited this long, so I can wait a little longer, and hopefully find what I truly want.

Just to get a "taste" of the car, and if I can get the time before the auction ends, a trip to Jersey might be in order... Maybe I'll fall in love.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.