Whats it worth?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Whats it worth? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My brother bought a 1999 Deville D' Elegance yesterday for $750 bucks. 90,558miles and runs great we put a radiator ...
    Crudsturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville

Whats it worth?

My brother bought a 1999 Deville D' Elegance yesterday for $750 bucks. 90,558miles and runs great we put a radiator in it because the person who put the last one in didn't set it back right right and the fans were cutting holes in it. He is concerned about the head gaskets per horror stories he has read. But all in all the car is in outstanding shape. Tepmature goes up to about 240 at times but he says runs at 210-215 most of the time. Fans dont kick on until 227 or higher.

Also if it does need head gaskets down the road is it really that bad of a job. He is an outstanding mechanic who builds forklift engines and has not in 8 years had a single issue from any motor he has built. He says he is 100% familiar with the open deck setup and says even those if done right can hold up if done right. I know from using this forum that you guys are on right on with information and and words of wisdom here would be great.

He was skeptic to buy a cadillac but he loves everyone I have ever owned (lol so far only 3). I fell in love with the brand when I had my first 93 Sedan Deville and regretted it every day since I sold that car. I however love the 4.9 although I am not scared of the Northstar like so many people cringe when you say the name.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: Whats it worth?

For $750, I'd say just drive it and enjoy it. IF you end up with head gasket issues, you're not really out that much. I wouldn't spend $2500 - $3000 to fix a $750 car, though.

240 does seem a bit too high. Have you done a block test?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The '99 is the worst year for HG failures for some reason. If they need to be replaced he will have to drop the drivetrain to drill, retap and install the inserts or studs and then replace the Hgs.

That 240 degree temperature "at times" is not a good sign.

A block test was performed on it a few months ago and supposedly passed but it wasn't us that did it. The girl had it here at the shop I acquired and was asking 2500.00 for it with a bad radiator. She was also told that the head gaskets were replaced but I am positve they were not. IT came in for overheating after a radiator was installed. We put one in and it was a matter of installing it correctly so the fans didnt rub a hole in it.

Could he use a fan controller to have them on more to help with cooling? Just doesnt seem that they come on when they should. He uses one of these for his 78 chevy electric fan.

Also is it really 2500-3k just for Head Gaskets? Mind you he is the one doing the labor so thats not a cost factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Crudsturbo View Post
    Could he use a fan controller to have them on more to help with cooling? Just doesnt seem that they come on when they should.
    That is a band-aid that will just prolong the inevitable. Fans should come on at 224. 3 degrees should not make that much difference, assuming that your 227 is accurate.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

crudsturbo, As you already know from reading all the threads in here, Northstar Performance, and Cadillac Tech Tips fans go to Slow at ~224, fast at ~236 and run in Slow any time an A/C function is set. 240 is hot, and 265 is overheated. The design thermostat begins at ~188 and is fully open at ~206. The engine should run at 195 - 205 degrees at all times except when stuck in traffic with no A/C function set; then it will go to 224, fans come on and cool to 213, fans OFF, cycle starts over. normal

If the engine and cooling system are in good condition ANY of these cars has absolutely no trouble maintaining design coolant temps in any ambient temperature on earth. If it won't, then something major is wrong, and band-aids won't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    crudsturbo, As you already know from reading all the threads in here, Northstar Performance, and Cadillac Tech Tips fans go to Slow at ~224, fast at ~236 and run in Slow any time an A/C function is set. 240 is hot, and 265 is overheated. The design thermostat begins at ~188 and is fully open at ~206. The engine should run at 195 - 205 degrees at all times except when stuck in traffic with no A/C function set; then it will go to 224, fans come on and cool to 213, fans OFF, cycle starts over. normal

If the engine and cooling system are in good condition ANY of these cars has absolutely no trouble maintaining design coolant temps in any ambient temperature on earth. If it won't, then something major is wrong, and band-aids won't fix it.
    Yes I was getting the information of when they come on and speed from here. And agreed that if designed like that than it should cool. How accurate is the digital tempature guage? We found the thermostat was sticky so he replaced it and still same temp issue. We are worried that 240 is high and you confirmed our worry.

The digital temperature readout should be pretty accurate.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

check the PURGE LINE for proper coolant flow

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.