New owner of a 2002 Deville.. Problems already
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, New owner of a 2002 Deville.. Problems already in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone.. Just picked up a new to me 2002 Deville (base)with 101k miles. So far the car has been ...
    o2k
    o2k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

New owner of a 2002 Deville.. Problems already

Hello everyone.. Just picked up a new to me 2002 Deville (base)with 101k miles. So far the car has been great.. I have been part of a volvo community for a while and my other car is a 2004 Volvo S60R. This is my first Cadillac and first V8. But I have been having a few issues that I need help with.

1. The fuel gauge is being buggy. Sometimes it reads perfectly fine. And sometimes the gauge will bounce between full and low. Any ideas?

2. There is a noise coming from the front drivers side. It sounds like a card on the spokes of a bicycle. Initially it was diagnosed as cupped or chopped tires... But I still didn't think that was the case. The car was put up on lifts and put in drive. The drivers side wheel does not engage. The noise is coming from the transmission. I'm not getting any lights on the dash.

3. There is some kind of loud electric motor sound coming from the back.. I'm assuming it's for the leveling suspension in the back.. But is it supposed to be very loud? And how often is it supposed to come on when driving?

4. Brakes seem to be on the soft side. They put in brand new pads.. But I read somewhere that there is a heavy duty brake system offered for the deville. Can I upgrade to that so I can get more performance from the brakes?

These are the only issues I seem to be having at the moment and I hope they are easy to fix. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: New owner of a 2002 Deville.. Problems already

1. The fuel gauge is being buggy. Sometimes it reads perfectly fine. And sometimes the gauge will bounce between full and low. Any ideas?
    Probably need to change the fuel level sensor. There is an access panel in the trunk so there is no need to drop the tank.

2. There is a noise coming from the front drivers side. It sounds like a card on the spokes of a bicycle. Initially it was diagnosed as cupped or chopped tires... But I still didn't think that was the case. The car was put up on lifts and put in drive. The drivers side wheel does not engage. The noise is coming from the transmission. I'm not getting any lights on the dash.
    When both wheels are off the ground and the car is in gear, only one wheel will spin. That's normal. Can your hear the noise when you spin the tire by hand? At what speed does it start to make noise when driving? Ripped CV joint boot perhaps?

3. There is some kind of loud electric motor sound coming from the back.. I'm assuming it's for the leveling suspension in the back.. But is it supposed to be very loud? And how often is it supposed to come on when driving?
    Yes, the ELC compressor. It should be a low groan type of sound, but should not be REAL loud. It should only come on once at start up and then only to level the car when and if needed. If it runs often, there is probably a leak in the lines or the shock boot. Spray the lines, connections and boots with soapy water when it is running. A leak will foam.

4. Brakes seem to be on the soft side. They put in brand new pads.. But I read somewhere that there is a heavy duty brake system offered for the deville. Can I upgrade to that so I can get more performance from the brakes?
    HD brakes are for limos. If your brake pedal is soft, the brakes may need to be bled.

o2k

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Probably need to change the fuel level sensor. There is an access panel in the trunk so there is no need to drop the tank.
    Thanks!

When both wheels are off the ground and the car is in gear, only one wheel will spin. That's normal. Can your hear the noise when you spin the tire by hand? At what speed does it start to make noise when driving? Ripped CV joint boot perhaps?
    I thought the traction control would kick in and send power to the other wheel? The noise sounds like its coming from inside of the trans. I can't hear the noise when I the wheel is spun by hand.. maybe because I'm not spinning it fast enough... But when I am driving.. It starts coming on at about 25mph.

Yes, the ELC compressor. It should be a low groan type of sound, but should not be REAL loud. It should only come on once at start up and then only to level the car when and if needed. If it runs often, there is probably a leak in the lines or the shock boot. Spray the lines, connections and boots with soapy water when it is running. A leak will foam.
    Will try this out this weekend. Not sure what is often.. but lets say on a 50 mile trip.. it comes on at least 5 times... with just me in the car.

HD brakes are for limos. If your brake pedal is soft, the brakes may need to be bled.
    Brake pedal is hard.. But braking distance is long... Maybe this is due to cheap pads? Rotors look original though.... I will try to bleed the brakes when I can.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If the noise starts at 25 MPH I wouldn't think it was wheel or tire related, but stranger things have happened.

I assume you have checked the trans fluid (engine idling at operating temperature)?

The ELC running 5 times in a 50 mile trip with no weight being added points to a leak in the system someplace.

Brake pedal is hard.. But braking distance is long... Maybe this is due to cheap pads?
    Cheap pads, glazed rotors,

03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS
    Do you have solid or cross drilled rotors? I put Brembo cross drilled on mine, and I have a tick. If anybody jumps in on this one, yes I 100% know it's from my rotors.

o2k

Firestone told me the noise is coming from within the trans. They said it sounds like the traction control is trying to engage buy can't.. which is maybe what is causing the noise. That is all they know.

Also, talked to my dealer earlier. The Day I picked up the car from the dealer, they finished replacing a "Torque converter clutch solenoid." It was causing the CEL to come on. Trans fluid was just replaced. All pads are brand new.. Rotors are just regular non slotted or drilled rotors.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by o2k View Post
    Firestone told me the noise is coming from within the trans. They said it sounds like the traction control is trying to engage buy can't.. which is maybe what is causing the noise. That is all they know.
    Either you misunderstood what you were 'told', or no one at that tire dealer's operation knows the first thing about front wheel drive Cadillac traction control. Your transmission has nothing to do with traction control.

o2k

They also noted it in the paperwork that I got...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.