Power Steering stiffness solved!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Power Steering stiffness solved! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Let me share my story in hopes that it will help others out there with the same problem I ...
    aespino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville

Power Steering stiffness solved!

Hi Let me share my story in hopes that it will help others out there with the same problem I had with my 2001 Deville. About a eight months ago my power steering started to get stiff with low RPM's about 625 to 700 (specially on stop lights). I thought it was the fluid so I changed it. I still had the problem so I decided to change the power steering pump after 50K maybe it was on its way out. I installed the new pump but still had the same problem. After doing research on the this forum and other places on the web I came to the conclusion that it had to be the steering rack. While working on installing the new power steering pump I notice that the drive belt was kind of loose but didn't much attention to it I was more worry about the steering problem. Later that day I started working on Pontiac Bonneville and notice that the belt tentioner was not as easy to move as the Deville's. So I started to compare both the tentioners and the belts. Then I also notice that The Deville's belt was making more noise that it should. So I decided to get a new belt and tensioner. I installed them both brand new and to my very happy surprise the problem was completely gone! To doble check and since it's not difficult to do I reinstalled the old pump and the power steering worked perfectly, so the problem definitely came from the belt and tentioner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Re: Power Steering stiffness solved!

Good post. This kind of stuff is always good to know.

My power steering was a little stiff. But the belt was fine. I ended up changing the fluid by suctioning out the reservoir. I did this about five times so far. I have been re-filling with Royal Purple synthetic P/S fluid, and the steering has gotten noticeably smoother and easier.

-

LeaderX11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville 2004

Mine also stiff under turning with very low speed and while the car not move .....
    Thanks I'll check the belt .... I know that it's never replaced so far ....

aespino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville

Remember also to check the belt tentioner

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FWIW, also change the water pump drive belt tensioner pulley - if that goes you're in for a nasty repair job because it WILL take out the intake cam water pump drive pulley as well as the belt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.