Intermittent Electrical Problems with a 2004 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Intermittent Electrical Problems with a 2004 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I just bought an '04 Deville... it's my first Cadillac but I'm having a few issues with it. ...
    jaredrichardson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville DTS

Intermittent Electrical Problems with a 2004 DTS

Hi all,

I just bought an '04 Deville... it's my first Cadillac but I'm having a few issues with it. I already had several oil leaks fixed, but I've had a few incidents where all the dash electric systems just stopped working. Then I turned it off and on a few times with no change. Then I got out, locked, unlocked it (with the key), then everything worked again.

The electric seats weren't working, the AC, radio, dash electronics, etc.

I've also had an issue with the gas tank showing the wrong amount. I've seen it flipping from "empty" to "full" and back again. I've added Techron to the tank and read about the fuel pump and/or sensor going bad, but it seems like it might be related to a larger electrical problem.

I just had the battery tested at the local auto parts shop and they say it's in good shape.

Any ideas for a new owner on what I can check or test out next?

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LeaderX11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville 2004

Re: Intermittent Electrical Problems with a 2004 DTS

Sometimes These things like to to be like this ! If you unlucky !!

But a floating ground wire do bad things more than what you experinced ,,,,,
    You may need to check wiring and ground spots, one of them is near the battery, make sure it tight and not damaged or corroded ...

Fuses Boxes also should be checked,,, I dont know why it may related to your problem ....
    But your car has two ,,,, one near the battery, the other in engine bay (passenger side) near engine coolant tank ...

If you can pull error codes,,, they may help you to know what going on with the electrical system ...
    From here :
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

Additional information.. I pulled the onboard diagnostic codes. I had plenty of them, all labeled as historical. Then I reset them and only had one.

DDM B1918, which switched between historical and not (I reset the all codes a few times). And googling the code tells me that it means:

"B1918 - Heated Seat Switch - Temperature Input Shorted to Battery"

The AC feature for the seat seems to work fine. I'll try the heat setting (but I've read that my model using forced air for the heat).

The other codes that were listed (all historical) were:

ABS U1000
    AMP U1301
    DDM B1918
    DDM B3069
    DDM U1301
    DDM B2507
    DDS U1301
    IPC U1301
    IPM U1000
    IRC 1301
    MSM B1327
    PCM P0463
    PCM P1106
    PCM P1301
    RCC P1301
    RFA U1305
    RIM U1301
    RSS U100

Thanks! I was posting the codes as you posted.

I pulled the back seat today and the connections there (including the ground wire) looked fine. I haven't looked as closely at the connections under the hood, but I'll look over them again in the morning.

This post sounds ~exactly~ like my issue... I just haven't tried hitting the door yet.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-crazy.html

But I'll work through the same steps suggested for him. I'll remove, clean, and re-attach the ground wires, then look for a short near the door.

LeaderX11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville 2004

HISTORY Error codes mean they no longer detected ....

After you reset the error codes ,,, and only one error came back again, although it become history , it remains an electrical related error ...
    and if it really caused because there is a short, it may happens in less than second,,,

I dont have any idea about how the car protect the equipment either by fuse or relay or even circuit breaker ...
    But it sounds alot related to the last error code : "B1918 - Heated Seat Switch - Temperature Input Shorted to Battery"

Also I dont know how the heated seat function is work, But in my car there is some wires that between the seat and the metal surface of the car body
    If any one of those wires have damaged insulation and with movement of the car touch the metal surface or anything connected to the electrical system
    may cause short or electrical leakage which also may trigger relay or blow up fuses .

If you open the cover of fuses box(under the seat) you will see a schedule filled with fuses and relays numbers and the equipment they Control\protect ....
    See which one is for heated seat and check it....

And BTW you can inspect the wires that connected to battery and to the fuses box....

That's what I can tell at my knowledge limit ,,, and more familiar people will help you further of course ...

I've noticed another interesting thing... when some of the electrical systems aren't working (for instance, yesterday it was the power seat controls), but they started working when I ran the diagnostic to show the ODB codes. I'm wondering if it resets the internal computer (for some set of computers aboard the car). I haven't had the opportunity to test this more than once, but thought it was worth sharing to see if anyone else has seen the same behavior.

I've been pulling the ODBs while driving to work (just to see if anything new has popped up), but I haven't had any problems in several days. I wonder if pulling the codes is resetting the system and preventing me from seeing problems. If so, it's a cheap fix!

Now I'm starting to think I may have just bought a lemon. A few days ago while driving the check engine light came on, then new OBD codes registered. The power seat controls stopped working. The power steering dropped out for about 30 seconds, etc. Crazy stuff. Then the next time I cranked the car, it's all fine.

This time, and the previous time (when the electrical system lost it's mind) it was raining heavily. Is it possible that I simply have an exposed wire that's shorting?

If so, I'd appreciate any hints on likely spots to start looking for frayed wires or missing covers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.