Tires Plus store damaged my Deville weatherstripping
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Tires Plus store damaged my Deville weatherstripping in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just got my first Cadillac - a used 1999 Deville, and I have been browsing the forum learning many, ...
    Ohm_Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Base; 2001 Seville SLS

Tires Plus store damaged my Deville weatherstripping

I just got my first Cadillac - a used 1999 Deville, and I have been browsing the forum learning many, many new things. I had hoped to post a simple yet happy introduction here, but unfortunately, within five days of Cadillac ownership, Tires Plus has managed to put a damper on my "new Caddy high" by damaging my weatherstripping. I have a web accounting of the event here: http://www.mlittle.com/tp/

I'd welcome any thoughts from the pros here. What is involved in replacing the weatherstripping? Is this something that one can do oneself?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Tires Plus store damaged my Deville weatherstripping

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy View Post
    I just got my first Cadillac - a used 1999 Deville, and I have been browsing the forum learning many, many new things. I had hoped to post a simple yet happy introduction here, but unfortunately, within five days of Cadillac ownership, Tires Plus has managed to put a damper on my "new Caddy high" by damaging my weatherstripping. I have a web accounting of the event here: http://www.mlittle.com/tp/

I'd welcome any thoughts from the pros here. What is involved in replacing the weatherstripping? Is this something that one can do oneself?

Thanks!
    -------------------
    if Tires Plus damaged your car - I'm sure they will have it repaired -

--------------------

What is involved in replacing the weatherstripping?
    remove the old weather stripping -
    clean and prep the surface -
    install the new weather stripping -
    ---------------

Is this something that one can do oneself?
    without knowing anything about your personal ability - it's hard to say -
    this not rocket science -
    but it does require a certain level of skill and patience to do it right -

--------------------

if this is your first Cadillac - you should read the entire Owners Manual -
    pay particular attention to the "Memory and Personalization" section on page 2-90

and to prevent problems in the future -
    inform the shop your doors locks automatically when the door is closed -
    OR - change this option - so the doors do not lock automatically -

I'm fairly qualified with mechanical, electrical, and electronic repairs, having had years of auto mech training, some professional mechanical job experience, followed by 15 years of industrial troubleshooting and machine control design experience. I've been a computer and network manager for the last 15 years or so, doing my own auto work on my cars and trucks. I think this makes me a hobbyist, at this point.

But I've very little bodywork experience. I'm certain that I can pull a strip and replace it, from a strictly mechanical "go through the motions" standpoint, my concerns lie mostly in how tough it is to get it aligned, layed in straight, whether there are clips to break or other hidden pitfalls. Is this an idiot-proof job? I really don't want to do a junk-job on my Caddy.

bmoore2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I read your blog post. You over-reacted on a huge scale. Your comment about seeing a couple nicks in a 13 year old molding that "Seriously, I was so upset that I needed to back away for a moment so as to not just lose it completely." says that you need to back away for more than a few moments and relax. It's a 13 year old car with over 100k miles, it's not factory-fresh. That's not saying that shops should have carte blanche to damage your vehicle, but if something happens, it happens and most things can be resolved without making such a big fuss about it.

What is your objective with this? Seems like you're trying to shame Tires Plus for a mistake they already said they would fix?

Yup, I sure did feel like I needed to back away. It may not matter to you, but when someone heavy-hands a car I've had for less than a week and causes damage to it, I don't feel the need to apologize for getting upset. I didn't spout off at them, I let them know I wanted to discuss it and I stepped back through the door to the customer lounge.

The car certainly isn't factory-fresh. There are some dings and scratches, and even places on the passenger side where the trim is damaged. But the reason I bought it last week was because it was in such good shape. Whatever age is on the car does not give them liberty to cut it up. That strip looked like a new one until they carved on it.

The service manager screamed that he would fix the window motor, yelling at me that nothing they had done could have made it stop working. They wanted me to stay and have them tear into it. I declined. That turned out to be a good thing, since the window was working after all.

And I don't know, dude - maybe you operate a tire center, but if you think that's an acceptable way to treat customers, I hope I don't happen into your shop. I've been doing business at this particular shop for many, many years, buying tires for all of my vehicles there. Never had them do this stuff before.

As for the write-up, I wrote what happened. Yes, it is my side of the story. But I didn't make any of that up, and I didn't wait until my recollections got fuzzy. It is what it is.

At the moment, I'm looking for some insight as to the best way to repair that weatherstrip. Perhaps you have some tips...

bmoore2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Pull it off. Pay $40 for a replacement. Push the new one on. Realize there are far more important things in life to get upset about than a cheap rubber seal.
    dna_level_c7 and dna_level_c7 like this.

Is that a dealer item, or do you know of a vendor selling the trim?

SSickLS2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don’t think you overreacted. I would have pulled the plug on the entire debacle when I seen 3 idiots head to my car with a pry bar and a wire. But I am the dick who stands 5-10 feet away (or as close to my car as possible) when low-skill idiots are changing the tires or oil. If I see something I don’t like I speak up immediately.

I would get a quote to fix everything you claim they F'd up from a Cadillac dealership and speak to the General Manager or District Manager of Tires Plus and demand that they pay for the dealership to fix it. If you don’t get satisfaction from the GM or DM ask to speak to their boss and so on and so forth...

If some rink-a-dink tire shop damaged my car, you better believe I am not going to let them cut corners and attempt a repair. The fact that they did not let you know your keys were locked inside and just instinctively grab a pry bar and wire says a lot about their integrity as a repair shop. Not to mention humiliating you in front of other customers...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

How in the hell did they damage that changing tires?

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    -----------------
    the OP's car is set to automatically lock the doors when closed -
    the tire guy left the keys in the ignition and closed the door -
    locked the keys inside -

tsgrpr97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Coupe DeVille, 99 DeVille D'Elegance (diamond white)
    I can't believe the car locked itself. I'm going to look through my manual, but I can't think of any circumstance where the car would lock itself upon exit. You can have door lock in gear or door lock after start enabled, and DISABLE door unlock in park or unlock key off, but you would still have to manually unlock the door to get out. And if you've unlocked the door manually you would have to act upon it in some way to get it to lock again.

The Deville is set up to make it very difficult to lock the keys inside. The power locks will not 'lock' with the driver door open and key in ignition. Motor off or running. I'm also thinking if you manually lock it, with key in ignition, the power locks open when you shut the door... but I'm not positive about that. I'm going to try on mine tomorrow. I'm assuming that my 99 sdv should function the same as yours.

And no. You're not out of line being upset about this. It doesn't matter if a car is ten years old or ten days old its unprofessional and unacceptable to bend the door open to unlock. A "professional" who does this all the time with no damage, is able to do so because they go down between the window seal and jimmy the lock with a slim jim.

New weatherstripping might not be enough to get rid of that air leak because the door is probably bent.

TravisJamesBarrett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 deville

they probably put it in neutral with the door open to get it on the lift. locking the doors as it went into gear, then closed the door

tsgrpr97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Coupe DeVille, 99 DeVille D'Elegance (diamond white)
    No I tried that on mine. Doors don't lock when open and key in ignition. If the door was shut when it goes into neutral, it could have locked but you'd have to open it to get out. When I closed it again it did not lock.

I was wrong about manually locking it. You can lock the car with the keys in the ignition if you manually lock it.

Unless its haunted like my msm

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yeah, I don't recall any of them locking just by closing the door.

Sorry, been gone for a while. Let me see if I can catch up...

Quote Originally Posted by bmoore2 View Post
    Pull it off. Pay $40 for a replacement. Push the new one on. Realize there are far more important things in life to get upset about than a cheap rubber seal.
    If you have a new one, I'll buy it for $40 with a smile.
    GM Parts Giant shows NLA for GM part #683737 or 683738. I think 683737 is the driver's side, If I am guessing correctly.
    Reference: Diagram at GM Parts Giant Item # 16

Quote Originally Posted by SSickLS2 View Post
    I donít think you overreacted. I would have pulled the plug on the entire debacle when I seen 3 idiots head to my car with a pry bar and a wire. But I am the dick who stands 5-10 feet away (or as close to my car as possible) when low-skill idiots are changing the tires or oil. If I see something I donít like I speak up immediately.

I would get a quote to fix everything you claim they F'd up from a Cadillac dealership and speak to the General Manager or District Manager of Tires Plus and demand that they pay for the dealership to fix it. If you donít get satisfaction from the GM or DM ask to speak to their boss and so on and so forth...

If some rink-a-dink tire shop damaged my car, you better believe I am not going to let them cut corners and attempt a repair. The fact that they did not let you know your keys were locked inside and just instinctively grab a pry bar and wire says a lot about their integrity as a repair shop. Not to mention humiliating you in front of other customers...
    They didn't use a pry bar, but one dude was pulling outwards hard on the door edge with both hands while another sawed into my weatherstripping. I think the dealer quote is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    They damaged it while opening the car after locking the keys inside. They are actually pretty good with the "changing tires" part.

Quote Originally Posted by tsgrpr97 View Post
    I can't believe the car locked itself. I'm going to look through my manual, but I can't think of any circumstance where the car would lock itself upon exit. You can have door lock in gear or door lock after start enabled, and DISABLE door unlock in park or unlock key off, but you would still have to manually unlock the door to get out. And if you've unlocked the door manually you would have to act upon it in some way to get it to lock again.

The Deville is set up to make it very difficult to lock the keys inside. The power locks will not 'lock' with the driver door open and key in ignition. Motor off or running. I'm also thinking if you manually lock it, with key in ignition, the power locks open when you shut the door... but I'm not positive about that. I'm going to try on mine tomorrow. I'm assuming that my 99 sdv should function the same as yours.

And no. You're not out of line being upset about this. It doesn't matter if a car is ten years old or ten days old its unprofessional and unacceptable to bend the door open to unlock. A "professional" who does this all the time with no damage, is able to do so because they go down between the window seal and jimmy the lock with a slim jim.

New weatherstripping might not be enough to get rid of that air leak because the door is probably bent.
    Yeah - I couldn't/didn't/don't believe it myself. I'm pretty sure the car didn't just up and go the attack, but the SM at the store tried to act like it. I personally think that the tech somehow triggered the security system, but I don't really know. I do know that once they opened the driver's door, the window wouldn't operate. The other 3 worked fine, but not the driver window. I was in a panic when it happened, and everyone was in defense mode trying to make sure I knew that they thought it had to have come in like that. This is part of why the SM was so mad, I think, because he thought I was trying to get a free fix for an old problem out of them. Truth is, I never got a chance to say anything much, other than to say that the window had been working while I was bringing the car to their shop. They didn't believe me, I'm sure. I got back in the car in the parking lot when they were done, and on the drive home, the window worked just fine. I do not claim to understand it anymore than that.

I'm also hoping that the door isn't warped very bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.