Not the usual P0741 tcc situation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Not the usual P0741 tcc situation in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have the P0741 code only on my 99 Deville. The part I am not seeing in the threads is ...
    hurst7t9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Eldorado and 99 Deville

Not the usual P0741 tcc situation

I have the P0741 code only on my 99 Deville. The part I am not seeing in the threads is when the torque converter does disengage when I bring it up to 50 MPH steady and tap the brake, the RPM's do rise about 200 rpm's then drop back down. The converter is working properly from what I've read. Does anyone know if this situation points to the TCC solenoid only? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Not the usual P0741 tcc situation

Sluggish or occasional solenoid malfunction OR the torque converter clutch is beginning to leak fluid. Is the code Current or History, and if you leave the code alone will it disappear in a week or so ? Do you ever get the SES yellow light ?

Find a quiet stretch of highway. Normally accelerate to 50 - does the tach do the 300 rpm drop over 43 mph, light load ? OK - Holding steady speed with your right foot, touch and hold the brake pedal - engine speed should increase by about 300 rpm or so - and when you remove your foot from the brake pedal, it should drop back that 300 or so rpm.

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I recently had this issue on my '03 DeVille. I could not feel any difference while driving the car, just the 'check engine' light came on, and I used my code reader and saw the P0741.

The way it was explained to me (my transmission guy has 30 years experience doing auto trans only) was that the Cadillac TCC pulsates (at least, in my '03 model year), so that the transition to lockup is smooth. He says this pulsating effect DOES make for a smoother transition, but also shortens the life of the components.

Good luck with your fix. Mine cost me almost $3k.

Submariner, the code is current and the trans does perform exactly as you asked. If I clear the code the SES will stay off for a little while. Sometimes it'll come on at 50 miles driven or sooner sometimes later like 100 miles.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sounds exactly like mine. I'll bet it usually comes on with the cruise set on a slight incline. It's a seal leak. The RPM drop you got doing the test that Sub posted proves that the solenoid is working properly. Live with it and clear the code every time the SES light comes on unless you are subjected to emissions testing. If you are, you might try the clear code and drive in 3rd for a few days before the test trick.

Ranger, I haven't noticed it coming on during cruise control useage necessarily. It seems to happen at random times. I've been careful to watch the SES light and driving conditions to see when it happens. What a PITA

Cruise control really has nothing to do with it. Same thing will happen if you are driving without it. mine is random as well, but I have noticed the hill climb will almost always trip it. Yeah, it is a PITA, but living with it and clearing the code when it appears is the lesser of the two evils.

The light makes me crazy. I must address it not only for my mental health but I plan on selling this car soon and I want it right. The car is low miles and in really good condition. I'd hate to sell it and not get what it's worth because of a problem I can fix. However, if its a inner transmission problem, I won't fix that. Not worth it.

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

Quote Originally Posted by hurst7t9 View Post
    However, if its a inner transmission problem, I won't fix that. Not worth it.
    Below is a GM TSB on this problem. It definitely is an "inner transmission problem". Will cost $1,500+ to fix at a good indie trans shop. More at a dealer.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...60-1998-a.html

Cougar. I read the thread on the TSB. Interesting stuff but I am interested in the Lean Cruise package. Anyone ever do this?

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

Quote Originally Posted by hurst7t9 View Post
    Cougar. I read the thread on the TSB. Interesting stuff but I am interested in the Lean Cruise package. Anyone ever do this?
    Note that those Lean Cruise Patch comments were from early 2009 in that thread. I don't recall it coming up again after that. You could send a Private Message (PM) to AJxtcman to see if he has anything new on it. Last time he visited the Forum was in June 2012.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

as much as we all hope the P0741 code is "from something else" -

the plain and simple fact is that if the P0741 code is displayed alone -
    the ONLY possible cause is the internal seals - that's it -

the other fact is the trans has to be removed to fix the problem -

if you are concerned about emission testing -
    there are methods of driving X number of miles - staying below 41MPG -
    for some period of time before the emission test -
    this will keep the SES light off - and display a "READY" signal for the test -

gregr819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS

I have been driving with P0741 and P1860 codes for at least 25,000 miles. I cleared the codes with a borrowed OBD-II tester, but it failed the emissions test because it was "not ready".

Do you have the details for passing an emissions test after clearing codes so it will read ready signals? I am having trouble justifying $2700 on my 2001 DTS w/ 165,000mi.

Not sure if it will work on your car, but clear the codes via the DIC (no need for a tester). Drive in 3rd and keep it below 41 MPH for 3 or 4 days before the test.

gregr819 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS

I will have to try that after Labor Day. My wife is going to Iowa to visit friends and family. Keeping it below 41 MPH will be hard to do, I live in rural West Bend,WI on a 55 MPH County highway. But I'll try it. We both love this car, had it since 2002 and 17,000 mi.

I thought the tester might work better to pass emissions, but it didn't. Two years ago, the dealer did something to it instead of replacing the solenoid, and told my wife to drive it immediately to the testing station. It passed the test, and the SES light came on after she left the test. I wish I knew what he did.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.