Garage Door Opener
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Garage Door Opener in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anybody here have any experience with the garage door opener that fits in the courtesy light pocket. I was reading ...
    dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Garage Door Opener

Anybody here have any experience with the garage door opener that fits in the courtesy light pocket. I was reading the owners manual and about all it said was something about a receiver that you need to get setup??? So can I assume I need a receiver in my garage to hookup to the opener?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    Deleted. Wrong car.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: Garage Door Opener

I have one in my 98 that I use. There are two steps. You train the Caddy opener to transmit like your opener expects to see, then you train your opener to accept signals from that transmitter. You don't need anything accept a working opener. Works great! I have three garage doors and trained all three buttons to open them.

BTW: The opener usually has a red button on it. Press it and a green light goes on. It is now in "learning" mode. Press and hold the transmitter button of the transmitter you want to use until the light on the opener flashes. It is now trained. Don't hold that button (the red button) too long or it will clear all of the codes and you will have to retrain everything.

Ok thanks. I'll have to look into what my opener is capable of. It's getting some age on it, built in 1977 but still works.

Here is general instructions to program the car module. Your garage door opener should work. Even if it uses the old dip switch based transmitters. In that case, you skip the learning part and just train you car module.

1. Hold buttons one and three in until the light blinks fast, usually over 30 seconds. This clears the programming
    2. Hold button one in and press your garage door remote at the same time until the light blinks fast

Well actually mine is a dinosaur and might even be one of the second version made. I noticed some of the old ones on ebay have the chrome edge around the face with squared up buttons. Mine has a dip switch which dates it as old stuff, and my opener is possibly even older technology than that. My opener has the seperate receiver, don't know how the newer ones are guess I'll have to look at my sisters this weekend. Also the transmitter I have, not the Cadillac unit, doesn't even have dip switches in it. It has a cover over some soldered bars with a clear film with holes over some of the circuits. Oh well, someday I'm going to totally empty the garage of everything except my small collection of Caddy parts and of course tools I plan on keeping and buy a new opener. Then I'll decide if I need a opener that fits in my overhead console. Here's some pics of what I have...

And the transmitter that I now have for the opener. It's an old Genie, I think the holes in the film strip were to identify which bars were held down to pair up to the receiver. Setting the dip switches in the Caddy transmitter did not work of course.

Wow! That bad-boy is ancient! I would guess that you match up the dip-switches like you did but the unit probably has to be ordered for your particular brand of opener. I'd think an owners manual from this era should explain how it works.

Yeah my wife does not throw that stuff out from 30 some years with her. I'll have to look in her hiding places for it. In the mean while, I scored a few more transmitters, all different part numbers. I'm the kind of guy that likes stuff found on my year of car and actually found one exactly like in the owners manual. I've screwed around with enough with circuit boards in the past that I could either swap them out in the housing or make a modern circuit work. Here's what I found earlier today...

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

the openers with the "amber" color light are for the modern "rolling code" garage doors -
    I bet your '77 Genie came before that -
    but the opener with the RED light should work -

you might be able to find an old owners manual online for your garage door opener -
    that will tell you how to program the remotes -
    or more correctly - how to program the opener to recognize the remote -

Doing a little more research, the transmitter on the bottom left requires the Cadillac receiver which is a box mounted to your ceiling or somewhere in the garage. It connects to the wires that go on the switch mounted in the garage.

So it's basically like the genie unit I have now, only the genie remotes work with it and not the Cadillac remotes. Some of the genie units have the program button and light on the opener unit itself, mine has nothing anywhere. I would assume they are on a different frequency than the Cadillac unit. I might take the board out of one of my genie transmitters and plant it into the console. I'll need to build a 9 volt regulator so that the 12 volt system in the car doesn't blow the circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    Doing a little more research, the transmitter on the bottom left requires the Cadillac receiver which is a box mounted to your ceiling or somewhere in the garage. It connects to the wires that go on the switch mounted in the garage.

So it's basically like the genie unit I have now, only the genie remotes work with it and not the Cadillac remotes. Some of the genie units have the program button and light on the opener unit itself, mine has nothing anywhere. I would assume they are on a different frequency than the Cadillac unit. I might take the board out of one of my genie transmitters and plant it into the console. I'll need to build a 9 volt regulator so that the 12 volt system in the car doesn't blow the circuits.
    -----------------
    I bet the homelink remote with the red light could be used -
    Genie was/is too popular of a unit for the Caddi remote not to work -

try Slipgate's method -
    couldn't hurt - and it could surprise you

+1 - those on the right are learning remotes. They can mimic your existing remotes. You just need to program them to any of your working transmitters and they should work.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -----------------
    I bet the homelink remote with the red light could be used -
    Genie was/is too popular of a unit for the Caddi remote not to work -

try Slipgate's method -
    couldn't hurt - and it could surprise you

I'll try those later today. So I take it the middle button is the learn button? And you hold 2 buttons down at the same time? Don't forget my garage unit does not have a learn button.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    I'll try those later today. So I take it the middle button is the learn button? And you hold 2 buttons down at the same time? Don't forget my garage unit does not have a learn button.
    --------------------------
    the 3 buttons are so you can program in 3 different garage doors -

there are 2 methods of programming -
    one - you "teach" your garage door to respond to the Homelink opener -

the other method -
    you actually program the Homelink opener
    by "training" it with one of your current working remotes -

the Homelink opener actually copies the signal from your current remote -

I just looked at the '93 Owners Manual - and it doesn't show the red light Homelink unit -
    so here is what it says from the '95 Owners Manual -

1) hold down the 2 outside buttons until the red light flashes rapidly -
    about 20 seconds - then release the buttons -
    this fires up the memory and erases any old codes -

2) hold the end of the hand-held remote
    against the bottom surface of the Homelink unit -
    so that you can still see the red light -

3) decide which of the 3 buttons to program -
    using both hands -
    press the hand-held remote button - and the desired Homelink button -
    and continue to HOLD both buttons through step 4 -

4) hold down both buttons until you see the red light on the Homelink flash rapidly -
    the rapid flashing - which could take 90 seconds -
    indicates that the Homelink has been programmed -
    release both buttons once the red light flashes rapidly -

if the programming didn't work - rotate the hand-held remote -
    so the other end is pointing at the Homelink - and try again -

THE HOMELINK TRANSMITTER MAY NOT WORK WITH OLDER GARAGE DOOR OPENERS
    THAT DO NOT MEET CURRENT SAFETY STANDARDS -

this info is from the '95 Deville Owners Manual - page 2-69
    --------------------------
    I know you have the regular Owners Manual -
    but just in case you wanted a digital copy -
    here is a free down-load - this site has tons of manuals available for free -

http://www.manualowl.com/am/Cadillac...e/Download/173

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

There's only one method- you need to program the homelink one to your door. I think the teaching your garage door to work with it part is that some garage door openers you need to tell it that you are adding another remote.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.