Road trip checklist
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By houg
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Road trip checklist in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm heading out of town for a week this weekend. 1000 mile round trip in my caddy. Any last minute ...
    BLMDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 deville 4.9

Road trip checklist

I'm heading out of town for a week this weekend. 1000 mile round trip in my caddy. Any last minute advice on what to look for to make sure my ride is up for the trip?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Road trip checklist

Quick once-over under the hood. Spare quart of your oil and a gallon of whatever 50/50 coolant is in the engine. Tires set at 32 psi, cold, all around. Lug nuts torqued to 100 lb/ft in a crisscross pattern. When was the last time you checked the spare tire pressure ??? (Is it a 60 psi donut ???) A small kit of spare fuses, maybe a headlight and proper tail/brake bulb. Basic set of hand tools. Perfect time to dump in a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON - it's a heavy duty fuel system and injector cleaner (that works). (Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron" for insight.)

If your car is a city/town daily driver you might have a slight front end vibration for the first 20 - 40 miles on the highway.

mc_marto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille

I agree with Sub. I would add - check you CV axle boots before you go. And follow Submariner's advice.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

carefully inspect the serpentine belt for any signs of cracking -

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

i always carry with me on long trips is a tire plug kit a 12 volt air compressor and a battery pack,, tire plug kits have saved my ass more then once, if u get a nail or screw in a tire u can usally plug and fill with out even taking it off the car, save me once on my motorcycle too
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

1000 miles 26mpg not bad I ran the tires at 36psi she ran like a dream.

Once I got to my destination my dad and I started on the suspension. We converted from the air ride with a strut master kit. (really did not want to but the price was right.) We had to cut through the strut and get vice grips to hold the top of the strut in place to get the top but off. Pain in the ass. We replaced the strut mounts, struts, springs and knuckle bushings because they we're completely shot. Added new rotors and pads which was a little tricky trying to compress the calipers having to twist the parking break as you compress the caliper but fortunately my dad had an old tool from a Saab that made it easy.

All and all the rear rides good now i'm looking forward to getting the front done. We didn't have time to install the front and get an alignment.

Thank you for the input and as always it is greatly appreciated.

ForumRunner_20120827_103049.png

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The rear brake caliper piston turns clockwise back into the caliper and the indents line up with the new pad faces. NAPA has a "brake cube" for the job.

If you defeated the rear shock ride height control (it's NOT "air ride") your car will not compensate for extra loads in the trunk or rear seat. That ELC pump system has essentially nothing to do with suspension control: It's rear ride height.

I really do regret not going with a better replacement. I'm still kicking myself for it but they really needed replaced and funds are tight.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.