2003 DHS; Suspension, ABS, and idle problems, and a stack of codes. Help interpret!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 2 Post By JimD
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2003 DHS; Suspension, ABS, and idle problems, and a stack of codes. Help interpret!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK folks. Need some help here. Car--- 2003 DHS with 120K miles on it. Normal Deville; basically drives well. Just ...
    redfishsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS

2003 DHS; Suspension, ABS, and idle problems, and a stack of codes. Help interpret!!

OK folks. Need some help here.

Car--- 2003 DHS with 120K miles on it. Normal Deville; basically drives well. Just uses oil (less, since I started WOT treatment).

Problems: Now, it's idling rough, having constant "Service Stability System" warnings, and now we are getting the BRAKE, TRACTION, and ABS lights on all at once. Sometimes they go off, but the past few days they've been on. I can't turn Traction Control on or off, and I fear the ABS won't work either (haven't tried to lock them up; too risky).

-----The car does seem to ride a bit bouncy. Not quite as smooth as it once was. I do occasionally feel some wobble coming through the steering wheel and front of the car. Front brake pads and rotors are only about 9 months old, and the brake does not pulsate. You feel it at 50-70mph. Not bad, but it wasn't there before.

Codes:, with some possibly pertinent info that might explain them (I'm sure half of these codes are old news and not critical).

current.......C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
    current.......C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On (I had the car backed up to the wall in the carport that turned on the reverse warning .................................................. ..............................sonar thing, is this what this means?)

history......C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction
    history.....C0658 - Level Control Compressor Circuit High

history.....U1064 - Loss of Communications with DIM
    history.....U1128 - Loss of Communications with IRC
    history.....U1713 - Loss of Front Door Module to Window Motor High Speed Comm. (front door windows work fine, but the passenger's rear window malfunctioned and I have it wedged closed, and motor ...............................disconnected, at the moment..... could this be part of this code????)

history.....B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts (battery died on us 8 months ago and it was replaced, I'm sure this code refers to then.... I hope).

---- All codes were erased, and immediately the "Service Stability System" and the Brake/ABS/Traction lights came back on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2003 DHS; Suspension, ABS, and idle problems, and a stack of codes. Help interpre

By the way, I have not replaced the spark plugs on this car. This occurred to me today; I need to replace them since I am not sure the last time they were changed, if ever.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2003 DHS; Suspension, ABS, and idle problems, and a stack of codes. Help interpre

current.......C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On (I had the car backed up to the wall in the carport that turned on the reverse warning .................................................. ..............................sonar thing, is this what this means?)
    No, it means that the EBTCM turned on the red brake warning indicator on the DIC.

current.......C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
    This is probably your brake, T/C & ABS problem. Start by checking the fuses and relays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    No, it means that the EBTCM turned on the red brake warning indicator on the DIC.
    OK, interesting. It gives me a code that tells me it turned on a warning light. Seems to me like the warning light by itself would be sufficient. Seems like having an alarm that goes off if your alarm goes off.

This is probably your brake, T/C & ABS problem. Start by checking the fuses and relays.
    OK, will check this tomorrow. However I'm not entirely sure it could be a fuse unless it was coming loose. This light combination has come on several times recently but it always went away after turning off the car and turning it back on (a time or two), but now it's on entirely.

I also confirmed solidly that the traction control is NOT working. It rained today, and you CANNOT put this car in WOT at all without going into a full scale burnout and underwear-soiling, even at 50+ mph.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

OK, will check this tomorrow. However I'm not entirely sure it could be a fuse unless it was coming loose. This light combination has come on several times recently but it always went away after turning off the car and turning it back on (a time or two), but now it's on entirely.
    Maybe a relay stuck in the open position?
    C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Maybe a relay stuck in the open position?
    C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
    Definitely a possibility. I have a Hayne's (or possibly a Chilton's) manual somewhere on this car. Would it tell me where to look for relays?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The relay is internal to the EBTCM, and not serviceable. You can try cleaning the connector pins/contacts, but the EBTCM is likely faulty.

Haynes/Chiltons manuals are next to worthless for these cars, a "real" Helm Factory Service Manual is what you need..

Would this be the $600 ACDELCO Part # 12226955 from Rock Auto??????? Good grief. Gonna spend a lot of time looking for something else before I drop that bomb.

Anyone ever work with these guys? If I end up having to pull this thing off, I may try having them repair it.

http://www.absfixer.com/catalog/prod...d982os6ujm05q2

I've read a few posts here and there about folks pulling the EBTCM apart and finding loose solder joints. If this is a possibility, I may give it a shot, as long as regular solder (60/40 or similar) for electronics can be used. I'd also find some non-corrosive silicone to repair any spots I damage inside this.

Found a thread on a Vette forum (apparently Vettes share enough genetics with these Caddys that they have similar headaches). I have a suspicion the repair of my car would be quite similar.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-fleabay.html

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    IF the problem is a bad solder joint, you can probably repair it yourself fairly simply. No idea where you'd find a replacement relay if that's the problem.

The modules aren't particularly prone to failure, buying a used one isn't out of the question. Most salvage yards will warranty parts for a short period, and exchange them for another if they're faulty.
    redfishsc and redfishsc like this.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by redfishsc View Post
    Anyone ever work with these guys? If I end up having to pull this thing off, I may try having them repair it.

http://www.absfixer.com/catalog/prod...d982os6ujm05q2

I've read a few posts here and there about folks pulling the EBTCM apart and finding loose solder joints. If this is a possibility, I may give it a shot, as long as regular solder (60/40 or similar) for electronics can be used. I'd also find some non-corrosive silicone to repair any spots I damage inside this.
    It sounds like you are determined to pursue the C1214 code as a priority. Good choice.

Before I even considered removing the EBTCM for repair or replacement, I would check and double check a critical chassis ground point for corrosion/oxidation/rust or simply plain old broken wires. GM refers to the chassis ground point as G110.

Remove whatever panels are necessary to gain access to the underside of the EBTCM located at the bottom LF front corner of the powertrain cradle. You will see what is obviously a motor assembly protruding and there will be short black chassis ground wires that run from the case of that motor to a chassis ground point (G110).

Be certain the wire is not broken and the chassis ground connection is bright/shiny and clean. Use star washers on the chassis ground connection if you even suspect rust or corrosion might be an issue.

EBTCM internal failure is certainly possible but rare.
    redfishsc and redfishsc like this.

Jim and Cabbage, thanks! Jim, definitely thanks for the advice there and for taking the time to look up that chassis ground point. I will start there.

I checked today for any possible bad connection with fuses, and all was good.

Took me longer to uninstall the #!@$%^T$#%@#$Y@#^$%!@#$ car seats for our kids (the latch point harness is nearly impossible to loosen).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.