I need help with possible legal advice.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, I need help with possible legal advice. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Basically i bought a used car 99 deville from a dealer and since then today i faced the music. It ...
    mhswres1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 cadillac deville

I need help with possible legal advice.

Basically i bought a used car 99 deville from a dealer and since then today i faced the music. It had a cracked radiator which i paid to have fixed. Today i checked my radiator tank and ot was almost empty it took about 30 oz of water to the right level. Without a block test i can see there must be a small coolant head gasket leak. It burns oil as well. Lets not forget the tranny that u can feel shift in the lower gears... even if only a little.. its been less then a month since iv bought this car i still owe 2200 on it. As you can guess im at my wits end freaked out. I have a job that makes me maybe 9.75 an hour before taxes and i love on my own with Friends and owe rent water electric phone internet insurance every month on top of my payments. Can anyone help me with some advice of what is is that i should do? Legal advice. Or am i just stuck in this lemon hoping it will drive for the next 9+ months untill i can pay it off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: I need help with possible legal advice.

You need to carefully read the terms of the sales contract and locate the term of any written warranty - "implied" or "word-of-mouth" won't do. 20/20 hindsight, but $200 spent on a professional pre-purchase checkout is cheap term insurance.

Absent a specified, written warranty time period you are stuck with a "Golden 90" warranty: "90 feet or 90 seconds, whichever comes first."

iruleyounow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): RIP 01 Deville 69k Current:1998 Concours 60k
    I had bought a 97 ETC from a Chicago dealer. I lived 2 hours away. Pulled into my driveway put it in park and it overheated. Now in Indiana there is a 3 day lemon Law. I was able to get all my money back and they picked the car up. I was almost 2 weeks into the purchase before I acted. But I had proof of emails and phone calls showing that this happened along with documents from mechanics. So even tho I went past the 3 days i was still able to prove my argument. So there is a chance if you have the right documents.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

What did you pay for it? I'd say it is at most worth around $2500 in TOP shape. Was this an iron lot that you bought it from? It sounds like the type of place where your down payment is equal to what they have in the car and they set up payments for whatever they can get after that. If you miss one payment, they will repo and resell it to the next sucker. I am looking to sell mine right now since everything works at the moment and it is a 15 year old car that is bound to start breaking down sooner than later. I've driven it for around 5 years and put probably $1500 into it during this time. I paid $3500 for it. I'll be lucky to get $2500 for it. This is not the car I would have recommended for your first or only car. They do require care and feeding which can get pricey. If you are unable to do a lot of the work that is going to be required, this car will eat you alive.

Around here (MD) all dealers are required to give a 30 day warranty. If the car turns out to have a blown head gasket, and you were willing to pursue it, you might be able to sue for (and get) your money back. Head gasket failure is a very well-known problem with the N* especially your year. I don't think a judge would believe that the lot didn't know the head gasket had failed.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I agree with Sub. Unless you live in a state where a warranty is mandatory (even then you'd better read the fine print) a used car is almost always an "As Is" sale and will say so on the bill of sale.

iruleyounow got VERY lucky.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.