HELP! erratic idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, HELP! erratic idle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, I am a bit new to the Cadillac world so please bare with me. I have a 2001 ...
    63chevy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HELP! erratic idle

Hi guys,
    I am a bit new to the Cadillac world so please bare with me. I have a 2001 DeVille with a very erratic idle which is only getting worse with every attempt to fix the problem:

The car runs erratic throughout the RPM range with idle speed being significantly worse.
    codes:
    O2 sensor
    cam position sensor
    torque converter
    TCC (transmission control computer) stuck off
    missfire bank 1

In addition a loud hum and, in my opinion, an excessive amount of heat are coming from the right rear of the trunk (?thinking fuel pump?); also the micro relays under the rear seat are excessively hot.

Probably unrelated, the car has suddenly begun to pull to the right with a noticeable vibration from the right front wheel.

I have replaced the cam position sensor and the fuel filter.

My thoughts are that having replaced the cam sensor with no positive effect the erratic idle is caused by a fuel issue, thus replacement of the cheapest component- fuel filter. Now it seems to run worse. With the cost of a fuel pump about $300 I'm looking for help before my wallet dies. Thanks for any input guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: HELP! erratic idle

When was the last time you cleaned the TB?

Probably 2002/2003. In fact I had thought about that the other day, and I guess promptly forgot about it; but I'll do that right now. On my other vehicles I clean them when I have another reason to take them off. Can i clean it while it's on the engine? Is there a prescribed method of cleaning? Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

No need to remove it. Just block the throttle plate open, then...... well, you know what to do. I think there is a tutorial in the Tech Tips section if you need it.

I assume you do not have a P0171 & P0174 code?

HEY! I have both. haha. And then some:
    PCM: P0171, P0174, P0300, P0340, P0420, P0741
    I have looked them all up, and am trying to make sense of them all.
    bank 1 lean, bank 2 lean, misfire, cam sensor, cat system, TCC stuck off, respectively.
    With the 171 & 174 codes and the heat in the trunk the evidince is mounting for a new fuel pump. As for the 0741, the transmission shifts fine. So, I wonder if that's an errant code or of those trivial codes that sound important.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by 63chevy View Post
    HEY! I have both. haha. And then some:
    PCM: P0171, P0174, P0300, P0340, P0420, P0741
    I have looked them all up, and am trying to make sense of them all.
    bank 1 lean, bank 2 lean, misfire, cam sensor, cat system, TCC stuck off, respectively.
    With the 171 & 174 codes and the heat in the trunk the evidince is mounting for a new fuel pump. As for the 0741, the transmission shifts fine. So, I wonder if that's an errant code or of those trivial codes that sound important.
    -----------------------------------
    you have a torn plenum - resulting in a huge vacuum leak -

the plenum is the bellows-looking piece
    between the throttle body and the intake -

with the engine running - spray carb cleaner in that area -
    if the idle speed increases - you found the leak -
    you might be able to feel it with your finger -
    the split is always on the bottom -

there is a "HOW-TO" replace it in the "TECH-TIPS" forum -

Yup, the plenum is your problem.

Thanks for all the help guys. I could hear the air being sucked in, but I never would have found the tear without removing the plenum. It was right up against the flange from about 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock. once I gave up my great desire to not dismantle the intake system it was really pretty easy.
    The one problem I had was when I spayed the brake clean it was sucked into the combustion chamber and out came a very toxic cloud that permeated everything, and sent me out of the garage for some time. It's only too bad I didn't need to replace the starter, as I'm sure it will go out soon now that I have done all that work. Haha. Thanks again for all the help.

You'd be surprised at just how long these starters last being tucked away high, dry and relatively cool (compared to being tucked under the exhaust manifold).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.