03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 03 trunk and glove box lock cylinders are giving me a bit of a headache. I cannot lock the ...
    03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS

03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues

My 03 trunk and glove box lock cylinders are giving me a bit of a headache. I cannot lock the glove box or open the trunk with the key. I bought the car with 1 key/remote. The key goes in half way in the trunk and same with glove box. If I remember, the key doesn't go in that far in glove box (from previous STS). The door cylinder and ignition are keyed alike, so I don't think think those cylinders have been replace. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Re: 03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues

'03 DeVille here also. Recently, my key would not go in my trunk. It would only go about halfway in. I fiddled and jiggled, then got out the penetrating oil and kept soaking the tumbler, then trying the key again. Then it would go in just a tad more. Finally, I removed the whole tumbler unit from the trunk and put it on the bench for easier access. This time I REALLY soaked it in oil, LOL. But still no luck.

Then I tried a spare key and it slipped right in with no problems! I was amazed. So I started looking very carefully at the problem key and I found that the groove in the center (one groove on each side) was peened over at the nose of the key. I used a small file and cleaned up the groove, so that it looked like the spare key. As soon as I did that, the original key worked like a charm!

Did I explain this properly? I would bet a hundred bucks this is your problem too. This baffled me for a couple of weeks until I figured it out. I can post a pic if that would help. The 'damage' to my key (and likely yours too) was nothing you'd normally notice. I only found it when I used a magnifying glass to look at the key that worked and compared it to the key that would not work. It only took a few light passes with a small file to correct the problem.

Anyway, that might be something worth looking at.....

Good luck

I'll give it a look see. Thanks a bunch....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)

Re: 03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues

Is it possible you have a valet key?
    Some cars come with a valet key that will open the doors, but not the trunk or glove box.

I don't believe so...... What's the difference between the keys (looks)? Mine has the colored emblem on the key.

Thanks Mojo. The groove on the key was the issue. Filed it down a little and it went right into both locks.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.