03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 03 trunk and glove box lock cylinders are giving me a bit of a headache. I cannot lock the ...
    03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS

03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues

My 03 trunk and glove box lock cylinders are giving me a bit of a headache. I cannot lock the glove box or open the trunk with the key. I bought the car with 1 key/remote. The key goes in half way in the trunk and same with glove box. If I remember, the key doesn't go in that far in glove box (from previous STS). The door cylinder and ignition are keyed alike, so I don't think think those cylinders have been replace. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Re: 03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues

'03 DeVille here also. Recently, my key would not go in my trunk. It would only go about halfway in. I fiddled and jiggled, then got out the penetrating oil and kept soaking the tumbler, then trying the key again. Then it would go in just a tad more. Finally, I removed the whole tumbler unit from the trunk and put it on the bench for easier access. This time I REALLY soaked it in oil, LOL. But still no luck.

Then I tried a spare key and it slipped right in with no problems! I was amazed. So I started looking very carefully at the problem key and I found that the groove in the center (one groove on each side) was peened over at the nose of the key. I used a small file and cleaned up the groove, so that it looked like the spare key. As soon as I did that, the original key worked like a charm!

Did I explain this properly? I would bet a hundred bucks this is your problem too. This baffled me for a couple of weeks until I figured it out. I can post a pic if that would help. The 'damage' to my key (and likely yours too) was nothing you'd normally notice. I only found it when I used a magnifying glass to look at the key that worked and compared it to the key that would not work. It only took a few light passes with a small file to correct the problem.

Anyway, that might be something worth looking at.....

Good luck

I'll give it a look see. Thanks a bunch....

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: 03 Deville trunk lock and glove box lock issues

Is it possible you have a valet key?
    Some cars come with a valet key that will open the doors, but not the trunk or glove box.

I don't believe so...... What's the difference between the keys (looks)? Mine has the colored emblem on the key.

Thanks Mojo. The groove on the key was the issue. Filed it down a little and it went right into both locks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.