2002 DTS rear shocks $$$ - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2002 DTS rear shocks $$$ in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I adjusted mine. They only adjust about 1/8 of an inch or so. I put mine all the way down, ...
    03GrayDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS
    I adjusted mine. They only adjust about 1/8 of an inch or so. I put mine all the way down, and the back and front are nice and level. I adjusted the sensor by removing the nut until sensor is loose and sliding down. You do not need to remove the nut. The sensor is in front of the rear wheels.

DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS

Re: 2002 DTS rear shocks $$$

Well I went to the Cadillac dealer today because I still have sag for the rear of the car.
    I was thinking it was my ELC they just replaced a few months ago.

After taking my car to the garage, the Cadillac rep brings me to the garage.
    My 'new' shocks, purchased from the link on the 1st page, are shot.

The rubber seal can easily fold upwards and theres a ton of rust underneath.

Im so mad right now.
    Now I have to buy more shocks and pay for someone to put them in again.

autopartstomorrow.com will only refund me the price of the shocks, not the labor I paid.

Any suggestions??

-------------------------

I also am in the market for front shocks, can someone link me to what shocks I would need?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
    My 'new' shocks, purchased from the link on the 1st page, are shot.
    Oh Oh! I just put a set of those on mine and my wife's car.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sorry to hear this but it illustrates another reason why purchasing OEM from a dealer makes sense

even if you had bought them from me at a discount you could take my invoice and the bad shocks to your local dealer and get a parts warranty on them
    (and if you had them installed by the local dealer the parts warranty would have covered the labor also)

just something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Oh Oh! I just put a set of those on mine and my wife's car.

hopefully it's not systemic with their parts ... could just be a on time thing

and hey they were only like $60 for the set, right?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Well I put on another set of the same shocks (bought from amazon).
    The car actually lifts up, but it still saggy by default.

I also notice that I never hear the ELC turn on unless I'm sitting on the trunk lid.
    If I don't sit on the trunk lid, the back of the car is saggy.

Sometimes the ELC or shocks don't lift up the back and I don't know why.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
    Well I put on another set of the same shocks (bought from amazon).
    The car actually lifts up, but it still saggy by default.

I also notice that I never hear the ELC turn on unless I'm sitting on the trunk lid.
    If I don't sit on the trunk lid, the back of the car is saggy.

Sometimes the ELC or shocks don't lift up the back and I don't know why.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    -----------------------
    check for DTC's - trouble codes -

c_d
    c_d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS

I have read through almost all threads on this board but still need a more elaborated answer: How bad/good/unnoticeable is the handling difference between the active rear shocks and a passive replacement (with ELC) such the Monroe 822?

For a non-sportive all city driver that hardly takes the car to any physical extreme I think to understand that the monroes are a hell of a deal. I also seem to take away from all the threads that the monroes are not really degenerate safe handling of the car but merely take away a perceived top notch sports limousine "feeling" at questionable manoeuvres?

My friends Deville has issues with the levelling and it has gotten so bad that with every speed bump the car is either immediately hitting the ground because the rear rides too low or by the "bouncing" afterwards because the shocks are way too soft. The air bladder of the shocks is dry rotted and there seems to be a thin oily layer.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Unless you drive pretty aggressively, you won't notice any difference. Other than the new shocks will be firmer than the worn ones. Go with the MA822's, you can get 2, shipped, for just over $50. You will have to use resistors to "fool" the computers, but that's very cheap and easy.
    c_d and c_d like this.

c_d

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Unless you drive pretty aggressively, you won't notice any difference. Other than the new shocks will be firmer than the worn ones. Go with the MA822's, you can get 2, shipped, for just over $50. You will have to use resistors to "fool" the computers, but that's very cheap and easy.
    Thanks Moist. I'll go ahead then because the Deville will never see any action compared to my Audi. I am aware of the resistor rig and the need for weatherproofing. One more question if I may: there were isolated posts about the monroes causing rattles. Do I just need the shocks, shrink wrap, resistors, and the old plug for installing the resistor rig or is it advisable to acquire a certain set of washers/rubber for installation?

The only times I've heard of a rattle is after the spring assisted shocks were installed.

No washers involved with shock replacement. Weather or not you want to replace the mount is up to you. Check it, but they're usually fine.

c_d

I am currently in the process of swapping the shocks. The ELV air line came right off but the lower wire for the active susp is pretty much baked to the shock. Is there a trick on getting the wire and plug off?

Edit: As soon as the backed on asphalt was gone, it came right off. It was also time to have those guys replaced:

IMG_2472.JPG

However, I might just be stupid but are the Monroes about 3-4 inches shorter than the stock shocks?

The rear still sits slightly low, ELC compressor comes on for about 5 seconds and stays off afterwards. I'll check with someone on the trunk later this week. The new ride is uneventful and pretty much just as before.

c_d

Correction: despite being pretty uneventful in handling, the rear (re-)bounces significantly less.

Quote Originally Posted by c_d
    However, I might just be stupid but are the Monroes about 3-4 inches shorter than the stock shocks?
    Shocks extend and compress. Their length changes with suspension travel. New shocks are shipped fully compressed, the old one come off the car fully extended

c_d

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Shocks extend and compress. Their length changes with suspension travel. New shocks are shipped fully compressed, the old one come off the car fully extended
    Moist, I saw that after a short test drive with the new shocks. I had the rear wheels off to inspect the whole assembly, and the old shocks were still around. I would assume that the Monroes on the car are extended.

stoveguyy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    New shocks are shorter? Perhaps the shock body is shorter. But new/old should both extend fully the same length? Hard to check now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.