4.6 Valve cover seepage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 4.6 Valve cover seepage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I noticed there is some seepage around parts of both the valve covers on my 05 deville. I have lost ...
    oldmanlesabre is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

4.6 Valve cover seepage

I noticed there is some seepage around parts of both the valve covers on my 05 deville. I have lost some oil over about 4000 miles, but it went from the middle of the hashmarks to maybe 1/6th of the way up the hashmarks on the dipstick. Just wondering if that is 'normal' At almost 98,000 miles now. Guessing I should plan on replacing them just because, then again, I have heard GM claims seepage is normal on some engines? Thoughts anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 4.6 Valve cover seepage

Some oil consumption is normal. Leaking or seepage is not. Usage varies. Pre-2000's seemed to use more than the post 2000's. I would think a qt per 3000-4000 miles would be about what would be expected from yours.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FWIW, 95% of other Northstar drivers would kill to get that sort of "oil mileage". If it ain't broke don't fix it...........

......... almost ALL of your observed oil use was from normal oil "burning", not valve cover weeps - a little oil on an engine goes a LONG way toward making things greasy and dirty.

hmm. well thanks for the feedback, good points definitely. I guess I will just clean it up and see how much it weeps out over time for my own curiosity, a little bit of oil can look like quite a mess!

Be very careful how you "clean it up" - These engines DO NOT like to get overly wet or power washed............. You are warned.

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I had horrible oil leak on my '03 (with 55k miles) when I bought it last Fall. I could smell the burning oil while driving, so I had to fix it. After putting up on lift, we determined that the main culprit was rear valve cover gasket. I replaced that gasket myself (not a job for a novice) and that fixed almost all of the leak. I still get a small drip on garage floor at night, likely from front valve cover gasket - which I will do when I next feel totally bored, LOL.....

-

Ordered the fel-pro set...no oil loss....then all the sudden I get check oil alarm when i start up....Strange! shut off, wait for a minute check level, its low, but I figured I would let it settle for a few more minutes, and I ended up adding my first quart...sad thing is I have not been adding much oil at all... So I checked behind balancer...glanced underneath...nothing irregular, nothing anywhere, then look at valve cover in the rear, and hmmmm looks to have seeped a fair amount more, must have just noticed it right when it started... topped off oil, drove around, went in store, came back, checked level checked for puddle. good level, no puddle, gotta be the culprit. Changed sparkplugs 99.5k, (some lazy idiot put some autolites in the two outside rears and the 4 in front, and the two originals were behind that deal for AIR system, another lesson learned, knew I should have changed them out when I bought it!) out...and found a tiny bit of oil on the 3 rear driver side plugs- on the threads only, not the end or up where the boot was...not much at all but enough to make it apparent what the problem is.

ANY Northstar will seep a bit of engine oil into the spark plug wells - it's an artifact of the cam cover O-ring seals. Not uncommon, not to worry.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanlesabre View Post
    hmm. well thanks for the feedback, good points definitely. I guess I will just clean it up and see how much it weeps out over time for my own curiosity, a little bit of oil can look like quite a mess!
    Think of that oil as rust/corrosion proofing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.