1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I took my 1990 deville out for along ride when it started behaving badly as losing power up hill and ...
    dparamedi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadilliac Sedan Deville

1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL

I took my 1990 deville out for along ride when it started behaving badly as losing power up hill and slugglish. At level doing great, then same process uphill. It was an hour and half into the drive.

It was running great until then. In the past couple of weeks, I changed the rotor, distrubtor cap, spark plug wires and coil pack. due to unrelated problem.

I am working on getting the fuel filter off without damaging the line, finally got the fuel tank side tank off. The Out side seems impossible, maybe need to soak it with PB BLASTER INSTEAD OF LIQUID WRENCH? any suggestions or recommendations

Any help appreciated

Currently researching the below codes to define. My codes only display a letter and two digits.

E52 - PCM Memory Reset (See Note)

E95 can not find def

E86

F85 can not find def

E11, E12

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: 1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL

Sounds like you aren't letting off the OFF and WARMER buttons soon enough. Try pulling codes again and let off the buttons as soon as all of the dash lights are lit.

Thanks Dennis, I will try that.

This car is my nemesis somedays. Does not seem to understand that I just want to love it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by dparamedi View Post
    It was running great until then. In the past couple of weeks, I changed the rotor, distrubtor cap, spark plug wires and coil pack. due to unrelated problem.
    How about the plugs?

Ranger

i did not replace the plugs;

Might try that. Probably due anyway.

Ranger,

You are probably correct about the spark plugs, it just seems the back side plugs are hard to get to. So I will need to take it to a mechanic.

I left it at friends house so I am going there this week to try and sort it out.

So far this is what I hope to do.

1. replace that fuel filter, He will continue to spray pb blaster on it over the next couple days
    (one side has come free the other side I can not get to turn at all)

2. Check the vacum lines (just in case)

3. Seems every time the problem starts the injector fuse blows after it starts to lose power
    (plan on checking to see if the coil shorted again and pull every fuse and eliminate if there is a short somewhere) Seems I can not put my finger on it, it was running beautifully until this drive

4. Check the EGR tubes just to see if they are blocked again.

5. Try and change the spark plugs and wires. (might need to get a mechanic to do that)

I recall when it first started the fuel was down to 3 gallons, so I pulled over and added more fuel and it was acting normal again, then it started acting up so I added more fuel, runned good for awhile. Did it again and I added more fuel and third time it did not change a thing.

If anybody has any other suggestions, I will listen to anything at this point and thanks everyone for their help.

Might also consider a partially clogged CAT.

Seems every time the problem starts the injector fuse blows after it starts to lose power
    (plan on checking to see if the coil shorted again and pull every fuse and eliminate if there is a short somewhere) Seems I can not put my finger on it, it was running beautifully until this drive
    Where is this injector fuse located? Is it down in the relay center on the RH side under the dash? You might have 2 fuses for that. I would check the harness and connectors carefully. Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the wiring. There are 2 harness connectors for your injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Might also consider a partially clogged CAT.

Yes, that could be a problem also, I hope not, dread the price to fix that.

The two injector fuses are located under the driver side dash. I have kept my eye on what time the blow and it seems it does it after the problem starts and not before, hope it is simple like the fuel filter being blocked. but I doubt it, oh, well looks like the filter has never been replaced before and looking through the end where I did get free it looked pretty black and gray on the inside.

I will attempt to pull codes again and reset the codes to see what new ones pop up when I start it again.

I have noticed it seemed like there was interference with the amp when the radio was on.

I also noticed there was a red wire hanging down near the fuse box on the driver side, as if it was not original to the car (did not research where it went)

The two injector fuses are located under the driver side dash. I have kept my eye on what time the blow and it seems it does it after the problem starts and not before, hope it is simple like the fuel filter being blocked. but I doubt it, oh, well looks like the filter has never been replaced before and looking through the end where I did get free it looked pretty black and gray on the inside.
    Your problem blowing the fuse is electrical, not the filter. Not saying the filter isn't due to be changed, just saying a plugged filter can't blow the fuse.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

If you are blowing the injector fuses, there is a short or open in their circuits. These injectors have a nasty reputation for poor reliability, mainly due to shorted internal coils. I would begin your diagnosis testing all of the injector coils with a VOM. I believe the resistance should be in the 12-18ohm range, and all should be within close proximity of each other. Resistance values that are out of the specified range, are absent, or are infinite, are a problem.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.