1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by drewsdeville If you are blowing the injector fuses, there is a short or open in their circuits. ...
    dparamedi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadilliac Sedan Deville

Re: 1990 Deville SLUGGISH/HESITANT UPHILL

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    If you are blowing the injector fuses, there is a short or open in their circuits. These injectors have a nasty reputation for poor reliability, mainly due to shorted internal coils. I would begin your diagnosis testing all of the injector coils with a VOM. I believe the resistance should be in the 12-18ohm range, and all should be within close proximity of each other. Resistance values that are out of the specified range, are absent, or are infinite, are a problem.
    Thanks Drew, dennis, ranger and others. will think and reorganize my plan of attack. With what limited funds I can afford this week.

1. Finish replacing the fuel filter, If I can get the thing loose. (I am applying PB blaster over the next couple of days) Check the EGR tubes

2. Replace the spark plugs, I already have a new set of plug wires (I am dreading the spark plug change, any advice) Test the coil. Had a mechanic friend firom work stating good possibility it is the plugs

3. Test and replace the injectors (found a rebuilt set that I can afford) guess I will keep the old injectors handy after testing and marking which ones are good.(I will check resistance the 12-18ohm range)

4. I am also going to go through and inspect the wiring connectors on everything and replace any dead fuse. Hope to find out what causes the noisy in the speakers when radio is on as if there is an ungrounded wire

5. Pray it is not the catalytic converter... I will have to wait till the end of august to get it checked at a muffler shop

At least I will know it has had a good going through.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

You can check the cat if it is plugged by taking the O2 sensor out and install a pressure gauge. You should not have over 1 psi of back pressure.

Thanks Dennis,

will try to rig up a pressure gauge.

Any advice on the rear spark plugs?

Thank you

Take the crossbar off and the cover on the firewall also sometimes will give a little more arm room. I have a pair of pliers that fit over the wire boot that is a blessing to have when working on one of these cars. You might check down at the parts store to see what they have.

Thank you once again Dennis,

You have saved me many of times, I was not a mechanic at all before this labor of love...... a beautiful carriage top deville....Dont know why I fell in love with this car other than it looked like it was wearing a tuexedo in a blue jean world

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Might also consider a partially clogged CAT.
    I agree on that and never let your gas tank get below a half tank

Thanks for your help.

Fuel filter changed
    Fuel injecors changed
    Spark plugs changed
    Fuel injector fuses not going out ant longer.

Running a little better but still hesitant going up hill and seems like it is running out of fuel

Codes still the same but will reset and try and get different ones.

Starting to think cat now.

You definately need to run a back pressure test on your exhaust. Also check your fuel pressure.

Have the Catalytic Converter changed, made a large difference and the mpg is back to normal. It was blocked.

I do have the FSM now so I can read the codes and etc.

Thanks Dennis, I know you have been trying to point me to an electric short for the past few weeks and I have not had time to chase it down, found some wires laying against the exhaust manifold when not looking for them. Will repair them soon.

Seems I have an vacum leak somewhere that I need to track down, still idles rough at times but not all times., I can hear something like a vacum leak

Also seems the coil is going bad (it was suppose to be remanufactured but I think repainted is a better term

It is almost a hundred percent<

Remanufactured coil? Never heard of such a thing in reality. Repainted, I can go along with that. Get yourself a new one if you think that is what you need, at least you have the FSM to diagnose whether it is good or bad.

Where do you hear the vacuum leak? Under the hood or in the car?

If I listen carefully, I can hear it under the hood and it looks like a line is missing on the transmission side of the engine on the throttle body, I am reading the FSM manual now and it looks like it should attatch to some selonoid. <<<<think I spelled that wrong>

As you can tell by now, no repair on this car is urgent and I just take my time and do it right when I have time and money<<<

My other drive is a Saturn

Must be headed in the right direction

OK, now the shorted out wire is repair. New Catalytic converter made a huge difference. Found the vacum line missing from the Map Sensor but it is not a hundred percent smoothed out yet. Car running better and idling seems good, seems it could be missing a little power up hill

(now the cat is getting hot as the fuel mixture is just to high)

Things changed so far (over last month or so)

alternator
    rotor button
    rotor cap
    coil pack
    wires
    spark plugs
    fuel filter
    fuel injectors

only codes now

e12, no distrubtor signal

e52 memory reset

I am thinking that I will be changing out the map sensor next and possibly the engine control computer....

I'd leave the ECM for the last thing to do. You mentioned a vacuum hose on trans side off. That might be the vacuum line for the trans modulator valve. There is a steel tube fromt the trans going up to the throttle body, short piece of vacuum hose connects them together. I believe yours is similat to the 91 to 93, steel tube fits into the throttle body with the hose over them. Either way it needs to be connected, or you have a vacuum leak there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.