Replaced fuel pump now inside of the car has a gas smell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Replaced fuel pump now inside of the car has a gas smell in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had my fuel pump and fuel filter replaced in late May in my 2000 Deville. Now I often smell ...
    tutball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 AND 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE

Replaced fuel pump now inside of the car has a gas smell

I had my fuel pump and fuel filter replaced in late May in my 2000 Deville. Now I often smell gas when Im driving. It is also stronger when I fill my car up. Now I know my fuel pump is located in my trunk under the matting. I have subwoofers in the trunk but the gas smell has never been a problem until I got my fuel pump replaced. Is it possible that something came lose or that they put the wrong fuel pump in? I have the manual and illustrations for the deville is this something I possibly could fixed because the shop that replaced the fuel pump is over 500 miles away. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Replaced fuel pump now inside of the car has a gas smell

It's either a leaking fuel pump module lock/seal ring, fuel line connectors, EVAP canister/solenoid or rusted fuel filler pipe.

The fuel pump module is in the fuel tank. The access hatch (in your car) is under the trunk carpet.

Update I filled up at the gas station and went in to grab a drink I come back out and notice gas was leaking from under my car. Also check engine light popped on about a week after getting my fuel pump and filter replaced. So I went to auto zone and got a diagnostics test and it revealed loose gas cap. So I tighten the cap that was already tight and the light stayed on. Any suggestions anyone?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Ummm, Post #2 ???

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re read post number 2!!! The Auto Zone test showed a code for fuel evap. system. Not a loose cap. When the tank wont hold pressure, a check eng. light comes on. I cannt believe you havent pulled the inspection cover off and looked for stains of fuel around the fuel pump module lock ring. When you ask for help we assume you can at least check what we advise to check. If you want free diagnosis, eyes are better than the written word.

Update #3. I jacked up my car to see if I could identify where the leak was coming from and seen nothing out of the obvious. So I lowered my car back down and heard fluid leaking onto the pavement. So I crawled in my trunk and open up my fuel pump compartment and saw gas residue. I pumped it back up with the lid off and seen the compartment start to fill with fluid. When I lowered it again the fuel drained. I dont believe this is normal. I just had the fuel pump replaced. Any suggestions?

Update #4. Thanks for all your help I will replace the fuel pump o -ring in the morning and that should solve my problem if not??? Thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by tutball View Post
    Update #3. I jacked up my car to see if I could identify where the leak was coming from and seen nothing out of the obvious. So I lowered my car back down and heard fluid leaking onto the pavement. So I crawled in my trunk and open up my fuel pump compartment and saw gas residue. I pumped it back up with the lid off and seen the compartment start to fill with fluid. When I lowered it again the fuel drained. I dont believe this is normal. I just had the fuel pump replaced. Any suggestions?
    No it is not normal. Take it back to whoever did the replacement and let them fix THEIR mistake.

Thanks. I would do that but I would have to drive 500 + miles to do so.

Im researching o-rings tonight. Is it even possible to buy just the o-ring for the Airtex fuel pump model e3518m? Im having a hard time finding just the o-ring.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.