1992 DeVille, second fuse box under glove box: what does fuse #5 control?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1992 DeVille, second fuse box under glove box: what does fuse #5 control? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; While driving, smoke started pouring out from behind the glove box. I shut the car off and removed the hush ...
    kgoldsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

1992 DeVille, second fuse box under glove box: what does fuse #5 control?

While driving, smoke started pouring out from behind the glove box. I shut the car off and removed the hush panel and to my horror saw that fuse #5 had melted in the fuse box. I am going to junk the car because it looks like a real chore to remove the fuse box and bypass the melted fuse. Many things no longer work such as the A/C, ECC display, the transmission is acting strange, no cruise control. What does fuse 5 control and what could have shorted out to melt the fuse/fuse box? Thanks, Keith

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    , and sorry to hear that.

The whole purpose of fuses, is to protect circuits from becoming overloaded, and melting wires. Look in your owners manual. It will tell you what's on that circuit, as well as the proper fuse amp rating. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a higher amperage fuse in it's place.

kgoldsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

Re: 1992 DeVille, second fuse box under glove box: what does fuse #5 control?

No the fuse that melted was 15A which was spec'd. That fuse 'protects' among other things the EGR solenoid, power steering pressure switch, cruise control, transmission shifting and a couple other things. I pulled the A/C maxifuse to eliminate that from the circuit. Turned on the ignition and touched a fuse to the melted terminals and ZAP fired the fuse. The power steering still works, the transmission seems to start out in second gear so it is working but not right. What could be causing a short on the side of the fuse box that would melt a fuse and the fuse box instead of blowing the fuse? If I had not immediately pulled over and switched off the ignition, removed the glove box and yanked the connectors off the BCM, the fuse box might have burst into flames! ???

Inkredible is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 Deville

You don't happen to live near Maine do you?

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Not that hard to get the fuse block off, maybe a couple of screws. I don't remeber exactly been a couple years.

cano4574 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 deville sedan

i bought this car from him lol

Quote Originally Posted by cano4574 View Post
    i bought this car from him lol
    OK, is it fixed or still have the electrical problem?

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan
    I believe its for the neutral safety switch

Quote Originally Posted by still_walkin View Post
    I believe its for the neutral safety switch
    Fuse #5 is for Powertrain and AC control, also TCC/Antilock brake switch, vapor canistor purge solenoid, power steering pressure switch, EGR solenoid. He has a lot to look for.

Skullman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Fleetwood Coupe, '95 SLS

Hey KGoldSmith:
    I know I'm coming in late on this but just came across your post thought I should share this. I had a problem with the A/C Compressor on my 1991 Fleetwood Coupe when it went south it blew that Fuse. Transmission would only work in second gear. Talked with my Transmission friend he found a GM Update on this. GM recommends replacing that Fuse with a 20 amp. Replaced Fuse Transmission worked like it should. Installed New A/C Compressor all is good. I do think it’s weird that the Trany and A/C Compressor be on the same Fused Circuit!? There must be some reason behind it?

Skullman {:{}

cano4574 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 deville sedan

It is fixed I wired in a new fuse block a while back everything works except the ecc which sucks because not only do I not have heat or AC but I cant pull any codes oh well ill get around to putting in a replacement ecc eventually lol

Forgoten214 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan DeVille

Does anyone have a diagram for the fuse box underneath the glove box that shows which fuse, fuse #5 is?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.