Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1999 concours HG decision.

8K views 86 replies 10 participants last post by  Glenn Delwood 
#1 ·
Alright, the more I analyze the issue (posted in some of my few threads) the more I feel this is a HG failure.
I'm taking the liberty to post this as a new thread so people could jump in on what I think is the main issue.

The smoke even though it doesn't seem to smell like coolant, it does have a sweet idea to it and it does seem like it's closer to STEAM!

Now what? I have 314+ km or 194+ miles. The AC compressor needs to be replaced and it seems to me that the rear suspension isn't pumping back up to level when the car is fully loaded. The antenna is not retracting and I do seem to have a small coolant/oil leak.

I have rebuilt the alternator, cleaned the injectors, changed the transmission fluid recently and the transmission shifts very nicely, I have lots left on the tires and the car seems in good shape. I have not paid much for the car, since a friend pretty much GAVE it to me. He has it from his grandpa who bought it new (and to all accounts drove it like a grandpa.) The car was driven most of its miles in a highway/rural setting.

I need some advice. What do I do now? Try to fix it or get rid if it? Should I expect the engine+transmission to last me longer if I do fix the HG? I know these engines cannot be "rebuilt" in the full sense of the word because the cylinders are somehow cast inside the engine.

How much would it cost me and does anybody know anyone doing a great job on this HG issue up here in BC or Washington, Oregon or Idaho? From what I read in the forum Northstar Performance seems like the best solution. Jake is over 2000km away, though. Please chime in.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Talk to Carroll Custom Cadillac. Not far from you. Either up in Vendors or down in Clubs. Tim can do the whole car.

If the rest of the car is in excellent to mint condition it's well worth repairing the engine - it will then faithfully go another 200,000 miles.

The cylinders don't wear like other engines, so forget that aspect. If a cylinder or the block is cracked, you replace the entire block.

#3 ·
194k+ highway miles in wintery Canada? Needs struts and AC work? Like mentioned, make damn sure the rest of the car is worth it (that'll be subjective to a degree - I can tell you right now that I'm betting I'd bail on it given that info). That's a lot of miles and years on a Canadian car, and you don't have anything into it considering it was free - so you aren't financially locked into it. There's still A LOT to go wrong outside of a refreshed engine.

#13 ·
I know that. Obviously the car is a consumable item and the entire thing gets lots of friction. Out of all that friction the drivetrain gets the most of it though. I was thinking there would be more specifics.

My idea was that since I didn't put much in this since I have it, I could just put a few thousand now and still have it for a few good years. I do most of the accessible work myself so if "easier" things come up later, I might tackle them then.
I still haven't made a decision yet.

#15 ·
I know that. Obviously the car is a consumable item and the entire thing gets lots of friction. Out of all that friction the drivetrain gets the most of it though. I was thinking there would be more specifics.

My idea was that since I didn't put much in this since I have it, I could just put a few thousand now and still have it for a few good years. I do most of the accessible work myself so if "easier" things come up later, I might tackle them then.
I still haven't made a decision yet.
I think you just answered your question.

#16 ·
One option I have noticed on Jake's website (N* performance) is that he offers an engine reconditioning for $1200. This might be a viable option I think. All I need to do is take (only) the engine out and drop it in an envelope and ship it off to Northstar Performance. What do you guys think of engine removal only? Is that a pretty involved job or do you think that armed with the '99 FSM, lots of patience and enthusiasm and a forum full of virtual helping hands it's actually pretty feasible for a pianist?

#17 ·
I play piano and I'm doing a head gasket job myself. :D

If you can go that far, you can fix the head gaskets yourself. Unless you have other problems with your engine there would be no need to have it reconditioned.

There are several active threads on cradle removal/head gasket repair in the Northstar Performance and Technical Forum. Mine is one of them. Another member named BillButtermore is almost through with his project.

#18 ·
Marc, I've been thoroughly reading your thread and Bill's. I just think that I don't know much about engines and I don't really have the space to work. I was thinking of either renting a space or asking a friend to help out with "storing" the car while the engine is gone. The most extensive job I've EVER done on a car is I have removed/installed the alternator on this same car, which required radiator removal. Another thing I've done, with a friend, was to replace the valve cover gaskets (on this same car). I would be clueless as to what to do on the crankcase resealing, which, if the engine was out, might as well do it. I do have some oil leak down there, which I think it can only come from there (I haven't explored it thoroughly). Honestly, if I had the space, I would dive right into doing everything myself (pianist or not :) ) however long it might take me.

#19 ·
Well I think that sometimes confidence and determination are the most valuable attributes... But if you don't have the space, that would definitely be a problem since it is not an "overnight" job for an amateur. LOL. However, you could certainly have the cradle down in 1 full day and perhaps the engine off the cradle the next if you stayed after it.

#25 ·
What engine is compatible with 1999 concours for a full swap?

While figuring out what to do with the current HG failed engine I had a friend suggest to swap engines and get one with less miles and possibly do the HG job on the newer one. I'm wondering which engines (make+year+model) would fit this car?
Thanks.

#26 ·
Re: What engine is compatible with 1999 concours for a full swap?

1999 Cadillac Northstar.......................2000 saw a radical re-design of both engine and electronics.

Bite the bullet, stud your existing engine - better than new.

Read ALL the sticky posts at the top of the Engines: Northstar Performance forum. You question ^^^ and many, many othere answered in those threads. Same forum - read the entire engine overhaul thread by Bill Buttermore.

#27 ·
There is a sticky in the Northstar forum regarding compatibility. If you go that route, you would be well advised to insert or stud it before installing it to preclude the possibility of having to pull it again at a later date. That said, you would probably end up spending more than just repairing this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.