1999 concours HG decision. - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 concours HG decision. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept so it does drip - how much? a puddle overnight? or a drop or two overnight? ...
    Glenn Delwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    so it does drip - how much?

a puddle overnight?
    or a drop or two overnight?
    More like a drop or two over a night or slower. It just started. It was pretty clean until not too long.

Re: 1999 concours HG decision.

Do I need to replace any cradle bolts if I remove them? How about any other stuff that needs absolute replacing, such as gaskets, hoses, etc. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and sparkplug gaskets on both heads this past winter. I don't suppose they might be reusable after having been installed for a half a year.
    WHAT IF I get the powdery aluminum when I drill, is this an indication that the block is toast (flooded with coolant in the holes)?
    Also, is there any indication of how much (how deep) to drill the new holes when I get to it? I never read any precise info on this.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Cradle bolts don't need to be replaced. I would say you could re-use the valve cover gaskets, but depending on the head gasket kit you buy, you might get new ones anyway. On the powdery material, I wouldn't worry about it yet. Your block lasted 190k+ miles before needing a head gasket, that's pretty good for any engine. I think you will be fine. On the depth of drilling, you can put a piece of tape on the drill bit to make sure you don't go down too deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest
    On the depth of drilling, you can put a piece of tape on the drill bit to make sure you don't go down too deep.
    How would I know where to put the tape? I would need exact measurements. Where do I find those?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you're doing inserts or studs the kits will give you drill depths. It will all be in the instructions. If you are not a pretty good machinist/mechanic with an eye for symmetry, use a kit with drilling guide jigs included.

www.huhnsolutions.com

www.northstarperformance.com

www.carrollcustomcadillac.com

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409
    If you're doing inserts or studs the kits will give you drill depths. It will all be in the instructions. If you are not a pretty good machinist/mechanic with an eye for symmetry, use a kit with drilling guide
    I am not a machinist by no means.
    Would threaded inserts be able to be done with the engine in the car?

I'm actually thinking of going with studs from N* Performance.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

They have been done in the car by a rare few, but generally considered impossible. You'd need a 90 degree angle drill due to the close proximity to the firewall. Studs ARE impossible. You'll never get the heads over the studs once installed. Just too damned tight in there.

Are you back-peddling, Glenn? LOL. I thought you were doing the midcase and rear main seal while you were at it?

Not really thinking about a "patch" job but was wondering what to buy before I take it apart. I don't know if I should go all the way in. It might not need it and I may be waaay under qualified as it is . How is yours coming along?

I haven't touched mine in weeks. I have had been very busy with work projects. Almost all caught up, but now it's too freaking hot! LOL. Been in the 95-105 range and now the humidity has hit us. I'm in no hurry on the HG project since it's not a car I need, but I am getting anxious to get back on it.

I've seen the working place that's farther away. It's about 30 minutes away with no traffic. There's a forklift available which I think could be used in the place of an engine hoist to lift up the car off the cradle. I'm thinking of going in. New thread will be started, if that's the case.
    Does Northstar Performance offer any discounts to forum members?
    Should I go with those super gaskets made of steel or something like that or simply Felpro?
    Still haven't heard anyone chime in with regards to any other things that should be replace while the engine is out (hoses, gaskets, bolts, etc. )
    I'll probably change the sway bar links, AC compressor (or can it be services and fixed) and possibly check out the self leveling suspension in the back, that doesn't seem to be self leveling much under weight, despite the compressor engaging. Where would I look for troubleshooting this? It does seem that the passenger side (rear) rides lower. I don't know if it's only my impression, though. I know for a fact that it does not rise when the compressor works. Comments?

I'm not going to do it anymore. I'm not sold to Cadillac even though it's a great car. I'm working in selling it. Highest offer is 400 for a guy who wants it for parts. If anyone here wants to fix it it's yours.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.