1999 concours HG decision. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 concours HG decision. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; One option I have noticed on Jake's website (N* performance) is that he offers an engine reconditioning for $1200. This ...
    Glenn Delwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours

Re: 1999 concours HG decision.

One option I have noticed on Jake's website (N* performance) is that he offers an engine reconditioning for $1200. This might be a viable option I think. All I need to do is take (only) the engine out and drop it in an envelope and ship it off to Northstar Performance. What do you guys think of engine removal only? Is that a pretty involved job or do you think that armed with the '99 FSM, lots of patience and enthusiasm and a forum full of virtual helping hands it's actually pretty feasible for a pianist?

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

I play piano and I'm doing a head gasket job myself.

If you can go that far, you can fix the head gaskets yourself. Unless you have other problems with your engine there would be no need to have it reconditioned.

There are several active threads on cradle removal/head gasket repair in the Northstar Performance and Technical Forum. Mine is one of them. Another member named BillButtermore is almost through with his project.
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

Marc, I've been thoroughly reading your thread and Bill's. I just think that I don't know much about engines and I don't really have the space to work. I was thinking of either renting a space or asking a friend to help out with "storing" the car while the engine is gone. The most extensive job I've EVER done on a car is I have removed/installed the alternator on this same car, which required radiator removal. Another thing I've done, with a friend, was to replace the valve cover gaskets (on this same car). I would be clueless as to what to do on the crankcase resealing, which, if the engine was out, might as well do it. I do have some oil leak down there, which I think it can only come from there (I haven't explored it thoroughly). Honestly, if I had the space, I would dive right into doing everything myself (pianist or not ) however long it might take me.

Well I think that sometimes confidence and determination are the most valuable attributes... But if you don't have the space, that would definitely be a problem since it is not an "overnight" job for an amateur. LOL. However, you could certainly have the cradle down in 1 full day and perhaps the engine off the cradle the next if you stayed after it.
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

So dropping the cradle would be better than top removal?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yes.

MC, did you have to go back and add a period to your "yes" to meet the minimum of 4 characters to be able to post?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Lol. No, I use periods in one word sentences anyway. I hate when I want to post "No.", but have to post "Nope." instead.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I just go with "No.."
    Faded Crest and Faded Crest like this.

What engine is compatible with 1999 concours for a full swap?

While figuring out what to do with the current HG failed engine I had a friend suggest to swap engines and get one with less miles and possibly do the HG job on the newer one. I'm wondering which engines (make+year+model) would fit this car?
    Thanks.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: What engine is compatible with 1999 concours for a full swap?

1999 Cadillac Northstar.......................2000 saw a radical re-design of both engine and electronics.

Bite the bullet, stud your existing engine - better than new.

Read ALL the sticky posts at the top of the Engines: Northstar Performance forum. You question ^^^ and many, many othere answered in those threads. Same forum - read the entire engine overhaul thread by Bill Buttermore.

There is a sticky in the Northstar forum regarding compatibility. If you go that route, you would be well advised to insert or stud it before installing it to preclude the possibility of having to pull it again at a later date. That said, you would probably end up spending more than just repairing this one.

I was thinking of studding a newer one rather than this one. Just a thought.

That would be fine, but now you have added the cost of the replacement engine to the total cost.

P.S.
    As you noticed, I merged your thread. Please do not start new threads on the same subject. It's much easier to follow if kept in one thread.

What about the transmission. It will still have 200k when done. How much longer should I expect it to last? What goes wrong first on the tranny, is it repairable and what would I be looking at in terms of money. I know I know, nobody has THE answer on these but I just wanted some input on the 4T80E.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.