04 Cadillac DTS intermittent electrical issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 04 Cadillac DTS intermittent electrical issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Fellow enthusiasts, I have been experiencing a very strange intermittent electrical issue with my DTS over the last year or ...
    North Cackillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 DTS

04 Cadillac DTS intermittent electrical issues

Fellow enthusiasts,
    I have been experiencing a very strange intermittent electrical issue with my DTS over the last year or so (It's only happened about a half dozen times). Usually the first warning sign is that several dash warning lights come on (battery, traction control off, air bag, etc), followed quickly by a drop in voltage, and the car shutting off in whatever gear it's in, no matter the RPM's. Obviously there is some sort of failure somewhere and the electrical system is protecting everything by shutting down all the systems.
    When this happens, the only way I am able to restart the car even long enough to get it out of the road is by keeping the gas pedal down while restarting it, and as soon as I let up, it dies again. Well, after a few minutes and several tries everything goes back to normal and then I don't see the problem again for several months.
    Any ideas on where to centralize my search for the problem? Is this more likely an wiring issue, a fuel issue, or a computer issue? I've found people with similar issues through my searches on this forum, but nothing that seemed to be exactly the same.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 04 Cadillac DTS intermittent electrical issues

Start by pulling the DTC's. Post the codes AND their definitions.

When this happens, the only way I am able to restart the car even long enough to get it out of the road is by keeping the gas pedal down while restarting it, and as soon as I let up, it dies again.
    It's not like a carburated engine. Pressing the pedal does nothing, unless you are holding it to the floor. Then you are putting it in "Clear Flood Mode" (disabling the injectors).

It is possible that you have a failing (intermittent) fuel pump. Wouldn't hurt to get a fuel pressure reading.

Low battery voltage will also wreak havoc. What is your voltage both at key on engine off and engine running?

I always try to monitor the voltage when this issue occurs, and it drops as low as 12.1/12.2 volts when the ignition is off or I'm idling at a stoplight, etc. but seems to recover to the normal 14.4 or higher when the RPMs rev up.
    For whatever it's worth, I have had the alternator, battery, and electrical system "tested" at the auto parts store and they all checked out.
    I would like to get codes pulled but by the time I make it close to somewhere I can get it tested, everything is normal again and there are no error messages showing. Can OBD pull historical codes?
    As for the fuel pressure reading, how would I go about obtaining this?
    Thank you for all your help.

Those voltage reading seem a little low for idle.

You can pull your own codes. See the DTC sticky at the top of the forum page. When you pull them they will be tagged as Current or History.

To check the fuel pressure you'll need a fuel pressure gauge. Screw it on to the service port schrader valve on the fuel rail (#566). Start the engine and get a reading.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cackillac View Post
    I always try to monitor the voltage when this issue occurs, and it drops as low as 12.1/12.2 volts when the ignition is off....
    How are you monitoring system voltage "when the ignition is off"?
    For whatever it's worth, I have had the alternator, battery, and electrical system "tested" at the auto parts store and they all checked out.
    You might want to get a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinion on that analysis.
    I would like to get codes pulled but by the time I make it close to somewhere I can get it tested, everything is normal again....
    There is no need to go anywhere to display codes. Memorize (or print) this page;

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-sevilles.html

Can OBD pull historical codes?
    That would be History codes and the answer is a qualified yes. History codes fall off the OBD radar after some period of time that varies according to the code and the module that flagged that code.

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

My 01 deville has done that a handful of times since I bought it, except it never actually shut down. My battery connections were tight, the battery was a little old but still had enough juice that it should have ran the car perfectly. It was like a total loss of power for a split second, the engine completely dead the dash shut off and the headlights dimmed severely but it always came right back up. A couple weeks ago it didn't come back up and since I had prior CKSP issues I was not terribly surprised to see a code for them pop up.

Next time it does it check your PCM codes, it sounds pretty similar to what I was getting while they were on the way out.

I pulled the following codes, all history:
    RFA U1305
    SDM B1000
    IPC U1016
    IPM B0429 (this was the only current code)
    IPM B1004
    MSM B1835
    MSM B1840
    MSM B1860
    MSM U1000
    MSM U1305
    MSM U1064
    MSM U1164
    MSM U1016

Checked and double checked all connections at the battery and fuse panels.
    As for monitoring voltage, what I meant to say was that I tested it with a meter when the ignition was off, and monitored it on the dash display when the problem was occurring. Really didn't notice anything unusual there.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cackillac View Post
    I pulled the following codes, all history:
    RFA U1305
    SDM B1000
    IPC U1016
    IPM B0429 (this was the only current code)
    IPM B1004
    MSM B1835
    MSM B1840
    MSM B1860
    MSM U1000
    MSM U1305
    MSM U1064
    MSM U1164
    MSM U1016
    None of those codes shed any light on your situation.

Perhaps keeping the fuel level above 1/4 tank would help. And testing the fuel pressure under a variety of operating conditions might yield a clue.

But I would be very tempted to move the rear seat bottom cushion out of the way and alligator clip a long set of voltmeter test leads directly to the battery and place the meter where I could have an accurate display of system voltage when the engine misbehaves.

Help us help you and always post the code definitions along with the codes (note post #2). No one has them memorized.

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I'm an old school mechanic from the 70's. My main suspicion for something like this is an electrical gremlin somewhere.

I can't see how a failing fuel pump would cause these problems, but I am NOT a Cadillac expert like these other guys.

I would spend some time looking around at all available electrical connections and fuse panels. Check every fuse, and make sure they're snug. Look at every connection that you can find and confirm that wiring and connections are clean. Maybe someone had the rear seat out and somehow pinched a wire when re-installing, thus the wire is causing intermittent short circuits. I'm just guessing here.......

The biggest problem with something like this is - it's almost impossible to diagnose the problem if everything is working perfectly when you take it in for repair.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo88 View Post
    I'm an old school mechanic from the 70's. My main suspicion for something like this is an electrical gremlin somewhere.

I can't see how a failing fuel pump would cause these problems, but I am NOT a Cadillac expert like these other guys.
    I believe you are right, but I have to check every avenue at this point.

Ranger, where can I find the definitions for the DTC's?

Go to the DTC sticky at the top of the forum page. There are links there to the definitions. Be sure to use the OBDII link.

Okay found your list, thanks
    I cleared out the codes after checking them last time and when I checked them yesterday, I got most of the same history codes: several Bxxxx (driver lumbar circuit malfunction) and a long list of Uxxxx (communication malfunctions). The only current code that it pulled both times was IPM B0429 (Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance). Also this most recent time it pulled current - B3832 (Window Position Sensor Circuit).

If the codes came right back then there is a problem with the component. Keep in mind that some codes go to history when not current as opposed to having to wait for three ignition cycles without a failure. Then again, you may have used the lumbar function, set the DTC and not used it again for three ignition cycles.

Not sure if I can revive this thread after all this time, but I had a couple more thoughts about the issue. Maybe they can help the experts to help me narrow it down a bit, since the codes don't seem to be shedding much light on the situation:
    -I remembered some more about the very first time that it happened, several months ago. I went over some railroad tracks and several lights came on on the dash (the battery light, ABS, etc) as well as the alarm "Service Stability Sys". All the electrical components in the car shut off for a brief instant, and I seem to remember that it said it had disengaged the stability system, or something like that. Once I reached a stoplight, I shut the car off and tried to restart it, thinking that everything may go back to normal. This is when it started doing the symptoms I described earlier, and I got stuck in the middle of the road for a bit.
    -After monitoring it closely over the last couple times it's occurred, I don't think the voltage is ever dropping below where it is supposed to. I had the battery and alternator tested again just in case, and everything checked out.
    -Some time before this issue first occurred, I had an aftermarket dvd/cd player installed. To bypass the parking brake function, there was a relay wired to the power wire. I really don't think this could be related, but is it possible that in some way that relay is wreaking havoc on the computer? Just curious if anyone's ever heard of this happening before.
    Anyways, the car is in the shop today and the mechanic is going to drive it around, hopefully getting to see the issue occur (which has been happening more frequently over the last week or so).
    Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.