2001 Deville DHS rough ride
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 Deville DHS rough ride in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2001 Deville DHS now rides very rough/harsh. I can hear the air pump start and run a little; after ...
    F. Ihrke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2001 Deville DHS

2001 Deville DHS rough ride

My 2001 Deville DHS now rides very rough/harsh. I can hear the air pump start and run a little; after that it rides better for awhile. The pump doesn't seem to run enough however...not like it used to. The front has hardly any suspension but the rear seems okay. Does anyone know if this model just has front air shocks? Is this sudden rough/harsh ride a common problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by F. Ihrke
    I can hear the air pump start and run a little; after that it rides better for awhile. The pump doesn't seem to run enough however...not like it used to.
    The pump should only run for a few seconds after key on, (as a test) and then only when weight is added to the rear, to maintain proper ride height.

The front has hardly any suspension
    do you mean it is harsh over bumps? Bottoms out? Floaty ride? How many miles on the car?

Does anyone know if this model just has front air shocks? Is this sudden rough/harsh ride a common problem?
    None of these FWD Cadillacs have "air shocks", and no air at all in the front. They have "normal" oil filled struts and coil springs in front, and oil filled shocks and coil springs in the rear. The rear shocks have an integrated rubber bladder, which is inflated by an electric compressor when weight is added to the rear, to maintain proper ride height. This system is called ELC (Electronic Level Control).

If your pump is (or was) running constantly, then you have a leak in either the bladders, the air lines, or the compressor.

From your description, it sounds like you need struts, and also have to find and repair the leak in the ELC system.

BTW,

F. Ihrke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2001 Deville DHS

Re: 2001 Deville DHS rough ride

Thanks for the reply. I agree, I must need new struts; I must have just thought I was getting a better ride when the air pump ran.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Well if the pump is inoperable, and/or there's a leak in the ELC system, the rear end will sag with any load in the rear (or if your coil springs are worn), and you WILL have a rougher ride.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2001 Deville DHS rough ride

well when the compressor pumps up the rear to level it will ride a bit better due to the fact that it's level (or more level than before)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.