98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Read all the horror stories of blown head gaskets. I'm not sure I'm their. My car is very finicky with ...
    chasd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K.

Read all the horror stories of blown head gaskets. I'm not sure I'm their. My car is very finicky with temps. I bought the car 2 months ago and have been messing with the cooling system ever since. Drove the car from LA to OKC....." Check coolant level" added coolant. temps ran 196 to 206 the whole way. Drove from OKC to Denver. No problems. Drove from Denver to OKC overheats "Shut down Engine" on the DIC. Added 2 gallons coolant after cool down. Continued driving another 200 miles temps got high 235-240. Pulled over let it cool. Added coolant. Drove another 200 miles to OKC. No Problem temps 196. Drove around town for a week temps never got higher than 220. Drove all the way back to Denver...No problems. Driving around town Denver "Check Coolant Level" comes on. Put 2 gallons coolant in. Found a leak in my upper radiator hose and replaced it.

So far, I've checked purge line, hoses, the usual suspects. Drove around today and temp held at 197 for about an hour then started to creep up. Just parked it and temp was at 217. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm under load or not car temps are temps are up and down. Even dropping under load?? Anyone have ant clues? I guess the next step is block test.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

Re: 98 Deville Temeratures??? Only has 73K.

Is it overheating when you have coolant in it?

If it is leaking somewhere badly enough it could be causing your overheat. 98s are not one of the better years as far as head gaskets are concerned, but in your case I'd look for an actual leak.

Get a pressure test kit and be prepared to do a block test.

Also, look for powdery white residue, the coolant could be evaporating when it hits your hot engine.

campnh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I too have a 98 . Car runs 206-208 on the highway, up long grades here in new England it touches 213 then comes right back down ....if I accelerate hard and work it hard temps drop to high 190s then stabilize at the 206-208 zone. I don't have a coolant loss issue..with the ac on on the highway it avgs 203...to me that says airflow issue into the radiator but I can't redesign the grill area,lol..i 100500 miles on it and today it was 86 degrees out...this car confuses me...water pump and coolant tubes were done 9,000 miles ago at the dealer...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Before you begin throwing money and parts at the car(s), perhaps a good start would be to read the sticky posts at the top of the Northstar Performance (Engines) Forum that concern our temperature gauges and fan operation. It's all in there. Also, read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up in the black bar ^^^ and then go to Discussions, Item Specific and surf through "Cadillac Tech Tips".

In the last six days there are eight threads running on cooling system questions in the Deville forum alone - there will also be cooling threads in Seville and Northstar Performance - same FWD engine setup.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasd
    Found a leak in my upper radiator hose and replaced it.

So far, I've checked purge line, hoses, the usual suspects. Drove around today and temp held at 197 for about an hour then started to creep up. Just parked it and temp was at 217. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm under load or not car temps are temps are up and down. Even dropping under load?? Anyone have ant clues? I guess the next step is block test.
    It sounds like the car was overheating when the coolant was low, and has been fine since the hose was replaced. The temps you have listed since replacement are fine (the cooling fans don't even go to low speed until 224 degrees). Engine temps fluctuate, I don't see why you think there's a problem.

Oops, sub beat me.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by campnh View Post
    I too have a 98 . Car runs 206-208 on the highway, up long grades here in new England it touches 213 then comes right back down ....if I accelerate hard and work it hard temps drop to high 190s then stabilize at the 206-208 zone. I don't have a coolant loss issue..with the ac on on the highway it avgs 203...to me that says airflow issue into the radiator but I can't redesign the grill area,lol..i 100500 miles on it and today it was 86 degrees out...this car confuses me...water pump and coolant tubes were done 9,000 miles ago at the dealer...
    Your cooling system is operating just as designed with the temps right where they should be. Nothing to be confused or concerned about.

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

The way he worded it is unclear as to if his car was overheating from lack of coolant (not a big deal, find and fix the leak) or overheating and drinking coolant (probably a head gasket issue)

Now that your hose is fixed keep an eye on both your temps and your coolant level, check both of them compulsively.

campnh's temps look ok though, unless they get a lot hotter than that you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

campnh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks for the info people

So since the original post I have determined that it is a blown head gasket. Block test positive for combustion gases. Car is being repaired right now. Doing the block with Norm's inserts. Have a guy doing it for $1800. He will do the inserts, replace gaskets, machine the block and heads if needed. Everything about the car is in great shape except the damn HG's!!! Looks like I'll be keeping the car for a while.

What other car has MAJOR problems like this with 75k on it??? GM should be ashamed!!

GM is not the only car manufacturer with mechanical problems here and there - EVERY manufacturer has its horror stories, even Mercedes, Lexus and Ferrari.

Norm's Inserts and new GM head bolts = good repair technique.

I know that GM is not the only car maker with issues. It just seems that this is a rather pervasive problem with these older N*'s that should have been addressed long ago. Cadillac has probably lost a ton of customers as a result. Seems to me it might have been more economical long term to have loyal customers vs. pissed off ones who will most likely never buy a Cadillac ever again and tell everyone they know of their experience. Hard to re-establish a tarnished reputation deserved or otherwise. Look how long it took Audi to overcome the "unintended acceleration" problem from years ago. I have owned many vehicles (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Saab, etc.) all have their issues. By FAR this HG issue on the DeVille has cost the most to fix. Premature failure of major components due to a design flaw should be remedied by the manufacturer not covered up which apparently is the case with the early N*.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by chasd View Post
    So since the original post I have determined that it is a blown head gasket. Block test positive for combustion gases. Car is being repaired right now. Doing the block with Norm's inserts. Have a guy doing it for $1800. He will do the inserts, replace gaskets, machine the block and heads if needed. Everything about the car is in great shape except the damn HG's!!! Looks like I'll be keeping the car for a while.

What other car has MAJOR problems like this with 75k on it??? GM should be ashamed!!
    ---------------------------------
    What other car has MAJOR problems like this with 75k on it???

brakes failing - uncontrolled acceleration - jumping into gear - fuel line ruptures -
    evaporator cores exploding - gas tanks blowing up - hoods flying off at highway speeds -

I understand you are pissed - but - really?

at least a blown head gasket won't cause loss of life -

I am NOT defending GM -
    but your car was 14 years old - WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT -
    and EVERYONE knows '98 and '99 are the WORST years for northstar failures -

but now that it is fixed the right way - 300,000 miles would not surprise me -

Really??? Say my HG blows and car dies in the middle of the freeway......that's not dangerous? Standing in front of my broke down car on the side of the road with cars whizzing by? Not dangerous? How MANY cops get mowed down pulling over motorist to write tickets?

Do you work for GM?

No, he probably doesn't work for GM; and no, the Deville won't leave you on the freeway - even if the head gasket failure had been let go to the point of total overheat the engine goes into camel mode and you can safely get to a rest stop or off the highway.

No, it's not satisfactory; yes it's a giant PITA.

It appears your foreign car ownership was blessed with missing the worst: Jaguar, MG, Austin Healey. (50's and 60's.) Been there, done that.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by chasd View Post
    I know that GM is not the only car maker with issues. It just seems that this is a rather pervasive problem with these older N*'s that should have been addressed long ago. Cadillac has probably lost a ton of customers as a result. Seems to me it might have been more economical long term to have loyal customers vs. pissed off ones who will most likely never buy a Cadillac ever again and tell everyone they know of their experience. Hard to re-establish a tarnished reputation deserved or otherwise. Look how long it took Audi to overcome the "unintended acceleration" problem from years ago. I have owned many vehicles (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Saab, etc.) all have their issues. By FAR this HG issue on the DeVille has cost the most to fix. Premature failure of major components due to a design flaw should be remedied by the manufacturer not covered up which apparently is the case with the early N*.
    ----------------------------
    It just seems that this is a rather pervasive problem with these older N*'s
    that should have been addressed long ago

actually - it WAS -
    in 2000 they lengthened the head bolts - which helped dramatically -
    but didn't "cure" the problem -

then in late 2004 they changed to a much coarser thread on the long head bolts -
    that seems to be the cure -
    ----------------------------

Cadillac has probably lost a ton of customers as a result
    I really doubt it -
    my guess is that less than 10% of northstar motors ever had the problem -

it might have been more economical long term
    to have loyal customers vs. pissed off ones
    who will most likely never buy a Cadillac ever again

how many NEW Cadillacs have you purchased compared to used?

quite honestly - Cadillac couldn't care less what happens to a used car -
    they don't make anything on used cars -

Premature failure of major components due to a design flaw
    should be remedied by the manufacturer

so - how long should a factory warranty be?
    5 year/50K
    10 year/100K
    15 year/150K
    you would need the 15 year warranty to just squeak in -
    next question -
    how much EXTRA are you willing to spend
    on a new car that has a 15 year warranty - $10,000 - $5000 -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.