98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; BTW, you guys are a BUZZKILL! Glad I don't have some disease....I could see it now " Soon you'll be ...
    chasd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: 98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K.

BTW, you guys are a BUZZKILL! Glad I don't have some disease....I could see it now " Soon you'll be dead, suck it up!" "We will send flowers to your funeral" "It only hurts when you cough"

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by chasd View Post
    BTW, you guys are a BUZZKILL! Glad I don't have some disease....I could see it now " Soon you'll be dead, suck it up!" "We will send flowers to your funeral" "It only hurts when you cough"
    -------------------------
    "We will send flowers to your funeral"

ah - ya - about the flowers -

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Wwjd?

Quote Originally Posted by chasd View Post
    Well all things considered, the car is in the shop. Getting the Norm's inserts and new OEM head bolts, gaskets(timing, crossover, valve cover, and misc.) $1800 out the door.

My question is.....given the price I paid for the car (3400), cost of repair (1800), future repairs (????). Would you do the repairs or dump the car?

After considerable thought I went this route based on the following:
    1) The car is very clean, inside and out.
    2) Anything comparable would cost a lot more (newer)
    3) Gets respectable mpg (26-27 fwy)
    4) It's paid for (NO PAYMENTS)
    5) I figure the HG issue will not rear it's ugly head for the life of the car
    6) I have a mental disorder!

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    lol - you are "pot committed" at this point. Even with what you did, you would be lucky to get $2k. Just wait until other components start to fail. Like the alternator or computer modules, or the A/C system. Or vacuum leaks behind the dash from the vent system. Quite frankly, I'd go talk to who sold it to you and ask for half your money back. Not likely you will get it, but 100% chance they knew there was a HG issue.

btw: While it is in the shop, have both of the metal crossover pipes inspected/replaced that run behind the engine.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Yes you could drive a POS for payments, figure out what the payments would be for a car you dont like then apply them (for future repairs) to a car you do like and dont look back. I like my Cadillacs I cant imagine driving something else.

No matter were I go, no matter what I wear or look like when I get out of or into my Cadillac I dont feel like a loser. Mike

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

I spent $2000 repairing the transmission on my '95 Sedan Deville. That was 20,000 miles ago. I have no regrets. It's a great car. The more I hear about the changes that have happened to Cadillacs since then, the more I'm glad I hung onto this one.

The way I look at it, if I had bought a brand new car, I would have lost much more than $2000 just driving it off the lot. Not to mention the higher insurance and (around here) property tax for a new car.

As for getting 1/2 my money back....unfortunately "AS IS" is all over the bill of sale. The car was donated to a charity and that's who I bought it from. Doubt they knew the HG was going. The donor probably did. Caveat Emptor etc.

The way I came to this decision was to compare the cost of purchasing a new/used car vs repairing this one. If I were to say put $1800 down on a car similar in features and accessories that was 15k (1800 down, 1200 for ttl, 370 p/month x 48) factor depreciation, additional money for full coverage insurance. The way I figure it, either way a car is not exactly an "investment" and fix or not it's a losing proposition. So, I've got 5200 into the car. Remember the rest of the car has 75k on it. Hopefully, major repairs might not bite me at least for a little while. In the meantime, I'm driving a Cadillac, leather power heated seats, power windows, door locks, dual climate controls, 26 mpg, that is rust free with clean paint and body.

Tell me what am I missing? I could have dumped the car for virtually 0 barely recouping the cost of sales tax. Parted it out requiring a great deal of time and effort and still have to buy a replacement vehicle.

Under the circumstances of losing money either way I think I made the right choice. But, like I said, only time will tell for sure.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    I spent $2000 repairing the transmission on my '95 Sedan Deville. That was 20,000 miles ago. I have no regrets. It's a great car. The more I hear about the changes that have happened to Cadillacs since then, the more I'm glad I hung onto this one.

The way I look at it, if I had bought a brand new car, I would have lost much more than $2000 just driving it off the lot. Not to mention the higher insurance and (around here) property tax for a new car.
    That's the exact way I think of it.

Imagining I had the money, I could have bought a 2009 DTS in high school and spent (to date) about $60K after maintenance and whatnot.

OR, I could do what I've done. Got my baby for $8600, spent about another $9000 in maintenance, repairs, and learning the hard way (I'm really bad about that ) and still be up $43,000!

Besides, IMHO my 96 DeVille is way better than any '06+ DTS, easier to work on, and I love the bodystyle.

If they say happiness is wanting what you've got, I'm SET.

Is this stinkin thinkin?

Cars as investments are generally not a good one. I bought a Mercedes for $35,000 with payments of $546 for 60 months. When I traded it in after paying it off, I got $7,000. Most people end up rolling negative equity into new loans creating a never ending cycle.

My point is almost every car loses money. We pay for the use of the vehicle. It just depends on how much. A new car loses 50% of it's original cost in the first 3-5 years. How much does that cost????

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Classic cars can be quite a good investment, "normal" used cars (such as a 10/15 year old Cadillac), are most definitely not.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

With the exception of a classic, cars are liabilities, not investments.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

If you're REALLY patient, lucky, and picky about maintenance, your car MIGHT become a classic, but that will take a LONG time

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Damn luke, you spent 18k on a 96 deville? Still, I guess not bad considering you would have spent at least that on a mediocre new car (and then you still have upkeep).
    I have about 9k in the hooptielac (half of that was the engine/ trans swap), FWIW.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by chasd
    Well all things considered, the car is in the shop. Getting the Norm's inserts and new OEM head bolts, gaskets(timing, crossover, valve cover, and misc.) $1800 out the door.

My question is.....given the price I paid for the car (3400), cost of repair (1800), future repairs (????). Would you do the repairs or dump the car?

After considerable thought I went this route based on the following:
    1) The car is very clean, inside and out.
    2) Anything comparable would cost a lot more (newer)
    3) Gets respectable mpg (26-27 fwy)
    4) It's paid for (NO PAYMENTS)
    5) I figure the HG issue will not rear it's ugly head for the life of the car
    6) I have a mental disorder!

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    Hey sir

I have a 98 Deville and I look at all my repairs as my monthly payments on a new car.

If I repair my entire Deville with NEW parts, I'll have put 8k-12k into it. Same as a New car, right?

But it will be a brand new 2013-98 Deville when Im done with it. So regardless I pay for a New car either way except this way I have a car I want and not some foreign, fiberglass p.o.s. I don't want.

Personally, I'd like to be able to say I own a brand new 2013-98 Deville.

It's a prospect you have to be willing to invest in and deal with when the times come.

Hope this gives perspective.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.