98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; "If you want a long warranty, buy ......................" Heh, heh............. ^^^ ............My first daughter is a regional store sales auditor ...
    Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 98 Deville Temperatures??? Only has 73K.

"If you want a long warranty, buy ......................"

Heh, heh............. ^^^ ............My first daughter is a regional store sales auditor for a New England jewelry store chain. She drove a Honda Civic over 260,000 highway miles and other than normal Honda maintenance the engine/transmission (5-speed ?) was never opened for repair. She now has a 2 year old Hyundai Sonata 6-speed and it has just over 80,000 trouble-free miles on it. Outside of warranty, both cars were/are maintained by a local Mom&Pop shop in Middletown, CT. (She knows all about checking oil, coolant, underhood stuff - does it religiously.) (She uses Pennzoil synthetic oils exclusively)

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    (She uses Pennzoil synthetic oils exclusively)
    This information was not required to make your point. It has nothing to do with the warranties nor the achieved mileage.

For a guy who hates repetitive oil wars, you sure like to spam oil/filter brand preference. These are the kinds of irrelevant and completely unnecessary comments that start them...

You would know............

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    This information was not required to make your point. It has nothing to do with the warranties nor the achieved mileage.

For a guy who hates repetitive oil wars, you sure like to spam oil/filter brand preference. These are the kinds of irrelevant and completely unnecessary comments that start them...
    ------------------------------------

WOW - another drive-by -

got your panties in a bunch?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
    I own a 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona that I bought brand-new (just turned 39k miles). My daily driver is my 1998 DeVille. For all its flaws, most of which are maintenance related, I still love to drive it. I was sold the car because the previous owner thought it had a blown head-gasket and was dumping it on me. Turns out it didn't (just a leaking water pump) and I got the better of the deal. I have been driving it for over 5 years and put close to 30k on it. I will drive it until it drops which could be another month or another 5 years.

GM and all manufacturers cater to new car buyers. A new Cadillac has a very specific audience. I highly doubt they care nor are most even aware that there are head-gasket issues with the N*. Is this planned obsolescence? I doubt the head bolt design flaw is intentional. And I would guess that very few original owners have experience the blown HG. Sales were not hurt one bit but it. But one truth is that new and used buyers of Cadillacs are different people and pretty much the twain shall never meet. If you want a long warranty, buy a Hyundai. You get what you pay for.
    There is a reason why my car, a 96 DeVille with only 68k on the clock, is only about 3200 on a good day. These cars are pricey to fix, and many of them are reaching the point in their lives where they need a LOT of attention. I like it. Buy them cheap, learn how to fix them yourself, and enjoy an incredibly nice car for bargain basement prices!

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Yeh I think synthetic oil is like a BMW (Big Money Waste). The big oil boys are going to have you bying oil sprinkled with gold dust one of these days. Just saying. Mike

chasd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Cool Wwjd?

Well all things considered, the car is in the shop. Getting the Norm's inserts and new OEM head bolts, gaskets(timing, crossover, valve cover, and misc.) $1800 out the door.

My question is.....given the price I paid for the car (3400), cost of repair (1800), future repairs (????). Would you do the repairs or dump the car?

After considerable thought I went this route based on the following:
    1) The car is very clean, inside and out.
    2) Anything comparable would cost a lot more (newer)
    3) Gets respectable mpg (26-27 fwy)
    4) It's paid for (NO PAYMENTS)
    5) I figure the HG issue will not rear it's ugly head for the life of the car
    6) I have a mental disorder!

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

A car (other than exotics) that is 15 model years old has little relative market value - BUT that is inconsequential when the car is a well-liked, well maintained example of the model.

Yes, it will be a fairly constant maintenance job - that's why most cars are unloaded after 5 - 6 years and show up on sales lots........ ANY mint condition example of these FWD Cadillacs will still turn heads.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Wwjd?

Quote Originally Posted by chasd View Post
    Well all things considered, the car is in the shop. Getting the Norm's inserts and new OEM head bolts, gaskets(timing, crossover, valve cover, and misc.) $1800 out the door.

My question is.....given the price I paid for the car (3400), cost of repair (1800), future repairs (????). Would you do the repairs or dump the car?

------------------------------
    Would you do the repairs or dump the car?

you are having the engine work done -
    so why bother asking this question now -

if you had asked BEFORE buying the car
    whether or not to consider a '98 Cadillac -
    I can almost guarantee the general consensus would have been NO -
    UNLESS it was showroom perfect inside and out -
    and it was a give-away price -

drive and enjoy the car -
    but start saving money for the next expensive repair -
    the struts and shocks -

I'm just trying to feel better about my decision. AKA, justifying the cost/benefit analysis. Ask for recommendations on medications for my mental disorder.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Most people? Likely not

Me? Well, I just spent $2200 bucks of transmission repair on a car that bluebooks at about $3,000 private. WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

The second part - medication.

A double Old Fashioned glass.
    4 oz of Evan Williams 1783 bourbon
    4 oz spring water
    Twist of orange peel
    Maraschino cherry
    1/4 tsp sugar
    Dash of Angostura bitters.

Stir well, pack with ice. Stare at car, sip medication, all the while muttering "I love it, I love it, I love it ............"

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm just trying to feel better about my decision. AKA, justifying the cost/benefit analysis. Ask for recommendations on medications for my mental disorder.
    Whether it is "financially" worth it is one thing. Whether it is worth it TO YOU is totally another story. Want to feel better about your decision? $1800 is an excellent price. One of the cheapest we've seen. Don't tell the guy doing the job.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

^^^I can agree with that. Fundamental economics will tell you that it's not worth it. However, that doesn't seem to deter a lot of members who wouldn't have been as happy going the "logical" route.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. My '99 is in decent shape and looks pretty, but if it developed this problem, it would get sold/scrapped. To me, not only does it not make financial sense to have it done by someone else, I value my time too much to consider investing (wasting, in my eyes) it to do the job myself. I have other things to do rather than pull engines on my own vehicles.

Maybe someday when my priorities shift, I'll see it differently. For now, this type of thing is on the bottom of my list.

The next 10 people could disagree. Who knows.

As far as the straight cost/benefit analysis, it's near impossible. The HG's are just a tiny component in the overall assembly of the car. There's so much else to fail - and when you think you've got everthing fixed, there will always be more. It's part of the aging process. It happens to all of them. That said, don't think that just because the car has new HG's that it will run for "another 150k with little/no trouble" (or whatever's on it). It's completely unrealistic.

Also consider the car's value. You could replace the HG's and the car could get rear-ended and totalled next month (this has happened here, unfortunately). Your comprehensive insurance does not cover the value of repairs. Instant money down the drain. Putting more money into a car than what it's worth temporarily increases your risk of losing on it greatly - at least for a while until you've gotten value out of it through accumated miles.

In the end, it's a gamble. One way or another, you are making assumptions when analyzing this. Go with your gut feeling, whatever that may be, and do what you like. Don't over-analyze it too much, else you'll be paranoid.

Well I guess only time will tell. It's got 75k on the OD. Hopefully, I can get some drive time before a meteor or some other force of nature (car demons, drunk/stupid driver, physics, etc.) puts me back to square one. For now, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and drive. I'll keep everyone informed on my Cadillac saga and use all the helpful information that the members of this forum have so graciously provided to prolong my journey.

Lucky, for me, I'm mechanically inclined and can do most of the work myself (not that I want to) to keep expenditures to a minimum. And besides, these cars seem to sell well in da hood. So when one of the homeboys need a hooptie I'll be able to perform my civic duties by providing that service to my fellow man.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.