What tool do I need for strut bolt?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, What tool do I need for strut bolt? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello again forum, I have the strut off my 97 Deville and I have the spring compressed but I cant ...
    nekobarnes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville

What tool do I need for strut bolt?

Hello again forum,

I have the strut off my 97 Deville and I have the spring compressed but I cant figure out what tool I need to get the top strut mount off. What tool and what size? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanx!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Stock or after market struts?

The tool required to hold the strut shaft still can really only be one of 3 things:

External hex (like a regular bolt)
    Internal hex (Allen wrench)
    Torx ("star")

Re: What tool do I need for strut bolt?

I have the Arnott struts on the front, I see where I have the hex in the middle of the bolt, but I can't figure out what tool(s) are supposed to be used. Whenever I try to turn it with a regular socket the shaft will only spin. I can't use the allen wrench at the same time I use the socket.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Use the Allen (or Allen socket) to hold the shaft still, and a wrench on the nut.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

This can be pretty difficult without the correct hand tools. Sometimes, the nut is so far recessed in the strut mount that a normal open or boxed wrench won't fit on it.

Although it ends up being very controversial, I recommend using an impact wrench.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Some strut top nuts require a tool "similar" to this. A deep socket with a flange and 3/8" drive hole. The proper torx or allen wrench goes through the center of the socket.

Not too difficult to fabricate.

Look on eBay / Motors / Tools / Kent Moore J-42468
    This is only an illustration; I have no idea if the socket is the correct size for the OP's car.

Thanx guys, I just took it up to the local mechanic and he used an impact wrench on it, and he didn't even charge me.

Quote Originally Posted by nekobarnes View Post
    Thanx guys, I just took it up to the local mechanic and he used an impact wrench on it, and he didn't even charge me.
    Whatever works. Now, how do you plan to torque the new strut top nut to the correct value?

He torqued the big nut after he threw the new strut mounts on it. My problem is I sheared one of the tower bolts off when I torqued it so it looks like i'm gonna have to buy another strut mount and begin the process all over again. Oh and the ride is much harsher with 18" wheels in place of the stock 16 inchers. The car feels very stiff.....it's gonna take some getting use to.

The torque on these components isn't so critical that you need to use a torque wrench - just look at the size of the nuts and use common sense. The large center nut needs to be threaded to the bottom of the threads on the strut shaft, plus a little extra to snug it up and help prevent it from backing off (it should be a nylon lock nut). Those smaller (13mm?) nuts on the mounts don't need much all. You should NOT be using your 1/2" socket wrench on those.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    The torque on these components isn't so critical that you need to use a torque wrench - just look at the size of the nuts and use common sense.
    That approach does not work very well on wheel lug nuts or head bolts or thousands of other places.

Machinery builders could avoid spending a lot of time/effort ($$) by not even considering torque values for fasteners and paying technical writers to publish those values in Service Manuals.

Who knows? Maybe the Space Shuttle program would still be funded if the engineers had not been so picky about spending the time/effort ($$) to establish fastener torque values.

The large center nut needs to be threaded to the bottom of the threads on the strut shaft, plus a little extra to snug it up....
    Yikes.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by nekobarnes View Post
    ....My problem is I sheared one of the tower bolts off when I torqued it....
    Have I said enough about fastener torque values??

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Here are the proper strut holding tools for a 2000 and later Seville. The shaft nut is torqued to 55 ft/lb and you partially compress the strut to do the job correctly. While most shops other than dealerships would not have a stock of specific GM tools and fixtures, there are "universal" tools for the job.

FWIW the 3 upper strut mount bolts - 15mm - are torqued to 33 ft/lb, and the strut-to-knuckle bolts are 108 ft/lb. As with any recommended assembly work, check the GM manual for your model and year - values vary.

Never, ever guess at torque values. You will be wrong - and most times very wrong - every time. There are good, specific, safe mechanical reasons for determining and using torque values. To recommend otherwise is to condone unsafe shadetree practices and could well cost someone life or limb. Do it right or don't do it at all.

The old torque value of "Squeak tight plus a quarter turn" has no place in today's precision assemblies and metallurgy.

I would take any advice to ignore recommended torque values with a very big grain of salt: You are likely to break something or hurt someone. For some one to post that they openly ignore published assembly values is dangerous and is a practice specifically NOT recommended by any service manual in existence.

Says the guy who doesn't seem to understand it, Mr. 33 "ft/lbs"...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Would "lb ft" or a conversion to "N-m" satisfy your shadetree instincts ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.