Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have cylinder #8 misfiring on my Deville Base. I am attempting to track down the issue. So far, I've ...
    Smackdaddy66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac DTS

Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base

I have cylinder #8 misfiring on my Deville Base. I am attempting to track down the issue. So far, I've been told it is far right in the front of the motor. Either way, replaced all four plugs on the front end, and boots, ordered the coil pack. Still misfiring as of right now, have yet to replace the coilpack, however, am I even on the right side for cylinder #8, or is it possibly in the rear? Just making sure I'm narrowing down the right side. I intend to replace at least the plugs and the boots on the rear side within the next few days, but you can only do as much as the money allows for the time being. I've used OEM Ac/Delco plugs, an aftermarket boot however, and the coilpack on it's way is a Delphi, OEM. It was suggested in an earlier post that the coilpack aren't necessarily know for malfunction, so it throws into question whether or not I'm even on the right track. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base

Quote Originally Posted by Smackdaddy66 View Post
    I have cylinder #8 misfiring on my Deville Base.
    How do you know cylinder 8 is the one mis-firing?
    It was suggested in an earlier post that the coilpack aren't necessarily know for malfunction, so it throws into question whether or not I'm even on the right track. Any help is appreciated.
    Well, the coil packs do fail.

Have you displayed the diagnostic codes? Your codes can be displayed on the DIC. Here's how:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-sevilles.html

For a misfire, the "P" codes are the important ones. Tell us what you learn.

I have a friend who is a mechanic, he hooked up a scanner, while driving it, cylinder #8 constantly misfiring. Engine light is not on, it came on after it first started and went off. When he pulled it up, misfire.

I have a friend who is a mechanic, he hooked up a scanner, while driving it, cylinder #8 constantly misfiring. Engine light is not on, it came on after it first started and went off. When he pulled it up, misfire.
    Untill something sets a "P" code, you are shooting from the hip in the dark.

It could be ignition or it could be a fuel injector.

The "P" code in there is a PCM P0300 History. Where can I go to decipher the other codes?

DDM U1713 History
    RCC B1009 History
    VTD B1327 History

Very informative information thus far, thanks!

The "P" code in there is a PCM P0300 History. Where can I go to decipher the other codes?....
    That is a limitation of the DIC code display. The PCM will certainly set a P0308 code, but the DIC will not display a specific cylinder code.

Since you DO NOT have any other "P" codes, I would say it is reasonable to expect that replacing the front bank ignition cassette will solve your P0300 issue.

The other codes you mentioned have nothing to do with engine controls.

The B1327 code tells us you have had a battery voltage issue in the recent past. Has that been resolved?

I believe so, that was one of the first checks on advice of a friend. Positive connection was loose, DIC shows 14.6 volts and ok.

Hipoint is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DHS

Coil pack should fix it...

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Keep us posted. The solutions are always good for future reference.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Where can I go to decipher the other codes?
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

however, am I even on the right side for cylinder #8, or is it possibly in the rear?
    Standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, the cylinders are numbered as such.

1 3 5 7

2 4 6 8

TexasGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 97

I have a similar issue with 1997 Deville, I had P0305 (5th cylinder misfire). Changing wireset and spark plugs did not help. Then, I put in a fuel cleaner into the tank, in 2-3 days the misfires are no longer happening, rough idle is not as bad. This all points to bad injectors which I will be replacing very soon (once they will arrive).

Update:Cylinder #8 Misfire,2002 Cadillac Deville, Base, from previous post

Well, the ignition bank solved the problem. Thanks to everyone who posted their advice on the situation. After replacing plugs, boots, and ignition bank, she's running smooth again. I don't know if it was the ICM or the bank itself, because the new one came with the ICM, however, it solved it. Bought the bank online at carpartswholesale.com, give a shout out to them, $157 tax, shipping and everything, took around 4 days to get it. Once again, thanks everyone!!

Brett Maverick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville

Re: Update:Cylinder #8 Misfire,2002 Cadillac Deville, Base, from previous post

Ok I got a similar problem with my 98 deville. P0308, P0131 and P1133. I know the last two codes have to do with the O2 sensor. I just bought the car used at 72K original miles (a granny car) but this is the problem. I have swapped out the coil, the wires, the plugs (OEM) and even the ignition control module and finally the injectors. I still get the cylinder 8 misfire code. Is there a module, maybe the ESM that might be bad. Thoughts??

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Without the code definitions we have no idea what those codes are.

Brett Maverick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville

Ranger, Thanks, Sorry had to have surgery and have been gone a while. P0308 misfire #8 cylinder, OBD II P0131 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1), P1133 = HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1. So to square one, could it be that the ESM sensor is bad as I dont see how the O2 sensor would interfere with just one cylinder.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.