Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What's an ESM sensor? Looks like you have a bad O2 sensor. You're right, probably would not affect just one ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cylinder #8 on 2002 Cadillac Deville Base

What's an ESM sensor?

Looks like you have a bad O2 sensor. You're right, probably would not affect just one cylinder, but since it probably needs to be replaced anyway, I'd start there. More than likely it's a bad plug or coil, but it wouldn't hurt to clean the TB first.

Brett Maverick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville

I found the ESM sensor some forum online. Electronic Spark Monitor. It is really a module similar to a knock sensor. Not even sure a caddy has an ESM. Plug, coil wires and ICM have all been changed already but still get #8 cylinder miss.

Never heard of an ESM sensor. Don't believe the Northstar has any such animal.

If you changed the plug, wires, coil and ICM, and still have a misfire only on #8, the only thing left is the injector. Have you verified that it is pulsing?

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    No ESM, if it was a knock sensor it would as just timing/fuel fort entire engine.

Yeah thats what i figured also. I was just trying to see what else could cause a #8 misfire after replacing everything else. I mean really what else could there be??? all the major components have been replaced and if I take it to cadillac dealer it is $110 for deep diagnostic, but if I cannot come up with anything else it looks as though I will have to bite the bullet and do that.

ofnaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Maverick View Post
    Yeah thats what i figured also. I was just trying to see what else could cause a #8 misfire after replacing everything else. I mean really what else could there be??? all the major components have been replaced and if I take it to cadillac dealer it is $110 for deep diagnostic, but if I cannot come up with anything else it looks as though I will have to bite the bullet and do that.

Gotta say it, $110 seems cheap compared to the amount you've probably spent on parts....

Still lots of things it could be.... bad lifter, flat cam, bad #8 injector driver in the ecm, etc. Have you checked compression? I'd start there. If your compression is good you can rule out mechanical engine issues, will be electrical or fuel related at that point. After checking compression (if it's good), try to locate some noid lights (make sure you do not use a test light!!!!!) and find out if the ecm is firing the #8 injector.

----------

Don't happen to live near Reno NV do you?

I have not checked the compression. I am taking car in the morning to get diagnostic. Personally, I suspect the ECM. Thanks for the help! Oh BTW not even close to Reno, I live in Lubbock, TX

----------

Oh and I hope it is not mechanical, the car only has 75K on it.

I would be very surprised if it where mechanical.

ofnaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I would be very surprised if it where mechanical.
    Me too, I've been with Cadillac for about 10 years now and I've only seen 3 Northstars with compression issues. One had a bad lifter the others had washed out rings. Honestly, the northstar engine is my personal favorite. They have issues, but overall I think they are the best.

Ok just as a follow up. Got the diagnostic done and the mechanic, a guy I am real surprised knew ALOT, told me it was simple. I had a long list of codes and a vacuum leak, which I forgot to mention to you guys before, is the core of all the problems. He said it is a gross vacuum leak and one that once it is fixed, it should take care of most or all of the problems. Because of the age of the car, the seals around the intake manifold and MAF sensor are leaking like a sieve. The is causing the car to lope, suck gas and run awful. He said that it is so bad that the inside of the manifold is at atmospheric pressure...a bad thing as it is supposed to be less because of the vacuum. They ordered parts and will fix monday. Cost about $350 but worth it if done right.

Finally a solution. I got the gaskets replaced, he then found another vacuum leak in a small hose going through the firewall and lastly the fuel pressure regulator was bad. Once all that was complete, the car was purring like a kitten. I will follow up if there was anything else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.