Fuel Injector replacement, can someone walk me through (on Deville 1997)?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Fuel Injector replacement, can someone walk me through (on Deville 1997)? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, could someone walk me through step by step changing a fuel injector. So far I know how to to ...
    TexasGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 97

Question Fuel Injector replacement, can someone walk me through (on Deville 1997)?

Hi, could someone walk me through step by step changing a fuel injector.

So far I know how to to remove a pressure from fuel lines, remove a fuel pump fuse, run the car until the stall. Disconnect the battery, remove cover from the engine...
    1) Which fuse controls the fuel pump, btw?
    2) What other tools will I need?
    3) How to remove the injector?
    4) What to do before placing a new one in?
    5) Anything else?

Thanks.

PS: During the change I will snap pictures and post here for others to have a visual guide. Please help me to do the exchange safely.

Thank you again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Fuel Injector replacement, can someone walk me through (on Deville 1997)?

That's one method to depressurize the fuel rail. The other is just remove the cap on the service port on the rail, hold a rag over it to absorb the gas and press the schreader valve (just like letting air out of your neighbors tire). After that it's pretty self explanatory if you look at it. Remove the hold downs, lift the rail with injectors. Disconnect the electrical connector from the one being replaced and remove it from the rail. Apply a drop or two of engine oil to the O rings before installing the injectors (with the rail attached).

P.S. you'll probably need a tool to disengage the supply line from the rail. Last one I did on a GM 3800 I did with pliers, but this one may be different, I'm not real sure.

Why are you replacing one?

Developed a hesitation, rough idling (or going in reverse), misfire on cylinder 5 (P0305), changing spark plugs and wireset did not help.

Have you listened to the injector with a stethoscope or used a noid light to be sure it needs replacing? Have you tried cleaning the TB?

JRS2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Deville, 83 Seville now gone

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Developed a hesitation, rough idling (or going in reverse), misfire on cylinder 5 (P0305), changing spark plugs and wireset did not help.
    Had something similar - different cylinder. Before you do that you might just want to check your coil that relates to that cylinder. I checked mine with a timing light, was getting fire after I replaced the wire but since mine were individual coils installed one and corrected the problem ..... One of the threads talks about taking the wires off the coils and have someone crank the engine while you watch (at a distance) and watch the strength of the voltage jumping across the circuits. That would have been my next step ...

I am going to replace all the coils (just in case) but it is easy.

Questions:
    - So, as I understand, I just move/lift the rails, I don't need to disconnect the fuel line to lift it with the injectors?

- How many thousand miles is a span life of an injector?

PS: Just bought 8 new AC Delco injectors on eBay for $200. Coils are like $34 each locally (Duralast).

You will have to disconnect the fuel rail from the supply line, so be sure to depressurize it first, but you can lift the rail and injectors as a unit.

My '92 had the original injectors when I traded it at 125K. My '97 had originals when I sold it at 107K. Traded my wife's '96 Bonneville at about 185K and never replaced an injector.

PS: Just bought 8 new AC Delco injectors on eBay for $200. Coils are like $34 each locally (Duralast).
    Oh God, not AutoZone (Don'tlast).

I did not do TB cleaning for a single reason only, I am not sure how to do it safely for the car. Seem like there is a MAF sensor needs to be sprayed with one liquid, the rest with another. I am not sure where MAF begins, where the rest starts, thus, I am afraid to kill something with spraying incorrectly and making it worse.

Forget cleaning the MAF sensor. It rarely needs it. The MAF on your car is bolted to the TB. Remove it and clean the TB behind it.

Are there any pics that will show me which part is MAF? I know quite a few things about internal parts of engines but air intake (in details) was always a mystery to me.

PS: Will return Autozone coils, bought new AC Delco coils on ebay (~$15 each), will wait their arrival, obligated to change them as well.

PPS: I am NOW sure that my problem is related to injectors and fuel delivery in general. When I made this post, I added a fuel cleaner to my gas, now a few days later, (have not done anything else) it no longer misfires, idle is much smoother, reverse speed too. However, I still feel some hesitation and small random bumps from the engine, leftovers of rough idle. It is better but I still have to replace injectors and coils (just in freaking case, they are cheap anyway and easy to replace). I try not to use my car as much as possible for now, maybe 4 miles a day without highway (thankfully my office moved recently closer to my house).

PPPS: Also ordered on eBay a new AC Delco fuel filter. Next thing would be changing shocks and struts.

Are there any pics that will show me which part is MAF?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ttle-body.html

Wow, this is great, explains everything! Will clean it this weekend! Unfortunately my ordered parts will not arrive in time for this weekend. Will have to limp until the next one.

snowb46 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): snowb46@mac.com

I see these were posted a few years ago, but have to ask if anyone is still viewing this thread.

I need to replace the fuel rail....so I think it's called. Its a fuel line that connects all the injectors. I'm not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined. I have a leak in the "flexible" line in the front of the engine and to the right side before the line ducks under...(the throttle body???). The hose does not seam very flexible (connects 2 metal tubes).

Would this be because it's designed that way and the hose itself is NOT replaceable and I'd have to install the entire fuel rail? Or
    Is this an old hose that CAN BE REPLACED between the metal lines that it connects?

I'm in the need to save some money (spent 2k recently on other car repairs). This looks like a fairly simple repair, or am I in for some surprises?

If anyone can give a bit of advise, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

If you have a '95 - '97, take it to a dealer. There was a recall on them and it should have been replaced free of charge with a stainless steel rail.

rayjuswa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville

Two questions after reading this old posting
    First, the coils being referred to by JRS2 and Texasguy, are they on the 95 devile? if so where are they located? I've never heard of individual coils for each injector
    Second, How do I find out if my 95 Deville has had it's fuel rail replaced by dealer by recall, and can it still be done at this late date?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.