Differences between 00 and 01-05 instrument clusters?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Differences between 00 and 01-05 instrument clusters? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Looking to do a DTS instrument cluster swap into my base 02 Deville but some listings state that only the ...
    mitsuzero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Galaxy Silver Deville

Differences between 00 and 01-05 instrument clusters?

Looking to do a DTS instrument cluster swap into my base 02 Deville but some listings state that only the 01-05 clusters are interchangeable while the 00 clusters are specific to that year. I've never heard this but thought I'd better ask some folks who've actually performed the swap. Can an instrument cluster from a 00 DTS be swapped (plug'n'play) into a 02 base Deville?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Differences between 00 and 01-05 instrument clusters?

Remember - that "new" cluster needs to be sent off to update the mileage and (I think) be set to your car's VIN. Someone posted a couple of links to shops that do the work..........try to Google something like "cadillac forums deville instrument cluster replacement"

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Remember - that "new" cluster needs to be sent off to update the mileage and (I think) be set to your car's VIN. Someone posted a couple of links to shops that do the work..........try to Google something like "cadillac forums deville instrument cluster replacement"
    Yes, very aware sir. I'm pretty sure all that's required in that area is a Tech2 which isn't an issue. I'm lucky in that I have a Cadillac/GM tech that works on my cars at the dealership for a fraction of their normal rates. I just need to know about these clusters before I order this 00 cluster and not be able to use it.

Ok, Tech2 cannot program mileage. Like stated in the thread you wanted me to find, that's a great thing! I'm not a bit concerned with the mileage anyway because its beyond service limits. Seems to me that I could even use a cluster from as far back as a 98 STS. There's really just not enough interchangability information on these cars. I bet 99% of base model Deville owners don't know that there's an oem suspension upgrade for their cars that offers greatly improved cornering with minimal sacrifice in ride while retaining the ELC; the 00+ Bonneville SSEi FE2 suspension. Another example, everyone told me, even the dealer and the junkyard selling the PCM, that the PCM from a 00 DTS wouldn't run my 02 base Deville even after being reflashed. Really? Cause its running now, with...guess what? A 00 DTS PCM. /rant
    If I'm wrong on this cluster, please, if someone knows, let me know. Thanks.
    Edit* most of the base Deville owners of my generation or younger who are constantly crying about what they can do to go faster or that their car is to too 'floaty.' There is an upgrade.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuzero View Post
    Yes, very aware sir. I'm pretty sure all that's required in that area is a Tech2 which isn't an issue. I'm lucky in that I have a Cadillac/GM tech that works on my cars at the dealership for a fraction of their normal rates. I just need to know about these clusters before I order this 00 cluster and not be able to use it.
    ------------------------
    All the listings I see show fitment for 2001 to 2005 Deville - DHS - DTS and 2001 to 2004 Seville -
    so it looks like there IS a difference

I'm pretty sure all that's required in that area is a Tech2

this IS WRONG. A techII can not alter the mileage - only a certified speedo shop can alter it -

I would suggest finding a cluster with similar mileage - MOST reputable used parts suppliers KNOW the mileage is stored in the cluster and record the it - do a search in Ebay - I have seen them for as little as $55 - and as few as 56K miles

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ------------------------
    I have never heard that there is a difference between the '00 and newer analog clusters -

I'm pretty sure all that's required in that area is a Tech2

this IS WRONG. A techII can not alter the mileage - only a certified speedo shop can alter it -

I would suggest finding a cluster with similar mileage - MOST reputable used parts suppliers KNOW the mileage is stored in the cluster and record the it - do a search in Ebay - I have seen them for as little as $55 - and as few as 56K miles
    Yes, the cheapest I've seen one in the 9 months I've looked on and off is $65. Don't think I'm gonna find one with 205k miles, lol.
    Thanks a bunch. I didn't think nor suspect there would be a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuzero View Post
    Yes, the cheapest I've seen one in the 9 months I've looked on and off is $65. Don't think I'm gonna find one with 205k miles, lol.
    Thanks a bunch. I didn't think nor suspect there would be a difference.
    ----------------------------
    After my first post - research shows ALL the listings are for 2001 to 2005 Deville - DHS - and DTS - and 2001 to 2004 Seville - so there DOES seem to be a difference

I would think that finding one with around 200K would be fairly easy - a quick search I found one with 230K for $56 including FREE shipping.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

There is a difference. The 00 and before has the "gauge sweep" at startup and 01+ doesn't. Also the gauges operate rather "smooth" for the 2000 and before, and "bouncy" for the 01+.

These are the Sevilles, but the same gauge.

Look close in Jesda's video at 1:50.

Also for the connector C1 of the instrument cluster, the pin A8 is labled as "Info Down" signal in 2000, whereas in 2001 it is labled as "Fuel Door Release Switch" signal. It was the only difference I found on the FSM.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    I see the Seville shows the outside temp in the cluster. On the DTS it doesn't show in there, it does on the hvac controller in the DTS. Just a minor difference I saw.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.307048,-93.817752

White Lightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Deville DTS

I just checked on my 04 DTS, at startup the gauges don't do the full gauge sweep but move smoothly to the appropiate positions and are not bouncy like in the youtube video. I am pretty sure DTS and STS clusters are the same just that the options are selected with a Tech2 make the difference on what is displayed, ie the temperature option stated earlier.

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

So the bouncing needle was common? If so, they must of worked it out. Mine's never done that.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Then there must have been a change between 01-04 again. All 01's I have seen were like that.

Time to look for more youtube videos..

--------------

Looked at some 2002 videos and it looks like the '01 was the only year that had bouncy gauges. So the 00/01/02+ are all different?

Though the pins and the schematics look the same for all year around. The earlier mentioned "Fuel Door Release" was a fault on FSM.

cosmictrucker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 DeVille Base

I just picked up a analog gauge cluster from a 01 Seville. I installed it today in my 02 base DeVille and found these issues.

Unfortunately for me, the local speedo repair shop that advertises they can fix or program anything claimed they could not reset the mileage on the Seville unit. The tech also informed me that it was impossible for me to just swap the units and the car would not start if I did.

I went ahead and swapped the clusters and found it does work. My car will start and run. The only issue are the Seville had tire air pressure sensors, and my car doesn't. When I first fired up the car with the "new" cluster there was a failed Tire Pressure Sensor warning. I'm not sure if this is a one time warning, or something that will appear and have to be cleared each time I start the car. Not something I'm willing to put up with.

Also, the new cluster reads 176k miles, and my car only has 120k. All other cluster functions appear to work.

I'll have to cut the upper trim panel to make room for the overhead display, and this wasn't something I wanted to do.

I decided to not install the new cluster unless I can find someone who can reset the odometer and remove the TPS warning.

Just thought this info may help anyone thinking of "upgrading" their Base and DHS DeVille's.

cosmictrucker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 DeVille Base

UPDATE:

I'm aware there is more than one thread on this subject.

I decided to go ahead and install the Seville gauge cluster in my DeVille. Cutting the top of the "sun" shade for the over head display wasn't that difficult. I used a retractable razor and made repeat cuts until I had cut through the plastic. The shad is pre-marked where to cut, so the job was straight forward enough.

The 01 Seville donor had TPS,(Tire Pressure Monitoring) my base DeVille doesn't. Fixing the TPS warning message after each engine start was my first task. I stopped by my a local GM dealer and asked if they could help. I've read a Tech2 is needed to remove that warning. The service writer at the dealer didn't think they could fix it, but he directed me to a local Speedo Repair shop. (a different shop than the one I had first visited). This repair shop was very helpful, and the tech was excited to take on the challenge. He had a Tech2 scanner and a laptop connected to the internet. He simply went in a unchecked the TPS option and that took care of the warning message. Simple and painless.

The second task was to correct the mileage on the new cluster. It has 50k more miles than what's on my car. The tech said it's no problem to fix, but I'll have to remove the cluster so he can make the repairs on his bench. There are no simple on board diagnostic to correct the mileage issue. He has to take the cluster apart and actually remove and change a chip on the circuit board. The fee seams reasonable for the effort and skills needed at $125.

I was even able to trade in my working digital cluster to help offset the cost.

I'm so far very pleased with this upgrade. It's like driving a whole new car.

GREAT INFORMATION - thanks -

I always new the mileage was stored in the cluster -
    and a TECH-II couldn't change it -

there was speculation that the security system would be affected -
    and the car "probably" wouldn't start - I always doubted that -

and the VIN would have to be cleared - I also doubted that -

so - other than removing the TPMS message - and resetting the correct mileage -
    the cluster IS a simple plug-n-play swap -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.