2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I originally posted this in the "Suspension, brakes and tires" in Gen. Discussion - I am deleting it there and ...
    thedill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions

I originally posted this in the "Suspension, brakes and tires" in Gen. Discussion - I am deleting it there and starting this new thread here.

I just replaced my shocks ('05 DeVille (Base) w/ 49,xxx) this afternoon. The old ones were spewing/leaking oil (both). I hadn't done any compressor testing, it didn't matter as far as the dampers were concerned, they needed replacing regardless; they were toast.

So what I noticed with the wheels off:
    • only the driver's side had a sensor
    • both air lines seemed good to go
    • when I disconnected the air lines a small amount of air bled out (of the bad shocks?)( or did a vacuum in the bladders suck in air?).

Hooked everything back up with the new Monroes and test drove it. Waaaaaaay firmer, muuuuch better. Listened for the compressor and didn't here anything. Got two friends (for a total of about 360+ pounds), with the trunk opened, to sit on the ledge of the trunk with the car in park and engine running on level ground.
    What happened: the back dropped so that the wheel-well no longer had a gap above the rear wheel (a couple inches at least, it dropped) and was lower than the top of the tires. I was crouching next to the driver's side rear-wheel, listening and watching. I heard nothing and the rear never leveled or 'corrected' itself. So the compressor wasn't engaging/working. They got up (they sat there for over a minute to give it time) and the rear rose up via the springs' force.

So now the questions (I'll number them):
    1. next step, check the fuse, right?
    2. then what, "bench test" the compressor?

I've garnered from browsing the threads that the DeVille's suspension isn't "fully sprung" unless the bladders in the dampers are inflated (to what ever level the sensor decrees appropriate), is this correct? It sits level/fine w/o a load...

3. while the suspension is almost infinitely improved by the new shocks alone I am dealing with an incomplete 'system' right now, it seems (if air in the bladder is 'required'), correct?
    4. are there any quick fixes, such as "manual" inflation?
    5. if manual inflation is in option, what pressure?

I am taking a 1200 mile trip on Thu-Sun and would definitely like to have the rear 'in-line'....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions

Have you checked for DTC's - fault codes?

Yes, but it was on the fly, so to speak, and I didn't write them down. It was more a 'test' to see the log..., I know - not really worth much.
    Also a couple had acronyms that weren't listed in the definitions in the thread for "pulling the codes," so I don't know what system they were from. I will do it again and list the "unknowns."

----------

Just pulled them again, this is all of them.

CURRENT:

IPC U1000
    IPM B0429

HISTORY:
    ABS U1000
    DDM B2507
    IPC B1004, B1327, B1513, U1000, U1088
    IPM B1004
    IRC U1064, U1016
    PDM B2507

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Forget the 3 letter acronyms (IPC, ABS, IPM, DDM) and just look at the 1 letter before the 4 numbers (P, B, C, U). Now go back and copy/paste the definitions .

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance
    B2507 - Voltage from climate control seat module (CCSM) is less than 2.0 volts or greater than 10 volts
    B1004 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM)
    B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts
    B1513 - Voltage falls below 10.5 volts with the engine is running
    U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction
    U1088 - Loss of commo. with SDM
    U1064 - Loss of commo. with DIM
    U1016 - Loss of commo. with PCM

Manufacture Codes -- DTC 01 - 199
    "B" Body Codes -- B0001 - B4000
    "C" Chassis Codes -- C0000 - C1800
    "P" Powertrain Codes -- P0016 - P2800
    "U" Network Codes -- U0001 - U2200

- none of these seem to concerning to me

All of them except B0429 point to low voltage.

What is your voltage with the engine OFF? (preferably after being off for ~an hour).

What is your voltage with the engine RUNNING?

Low voltage may or may not have anything to do with your ELC problem.

Check all of the connections to there'll pump. Check that the small connecting rod for the height sensor is present and connected. And yes, check the fuse.

If you replaced the shocks with the correct ones (designed to be used with the ELC system) there really isn't anyway to manually fill them, unless you rigged up some lines with Schrader valves.

As long as the rear springs aren't worn, the rear should sit at normal ride height with no extra load in the back. The car is perfectly drivable like this.

The voltage ranges from 12.x to 14.x when I am driving, it's fine (all those codes but two are "history").

Height sensor is all in place and visually good to go. I am speculating that the 'blown' (loss of oil) dampers may have forced prolonged/extended engagement of the pump and that's lead to failure... I dunno, I have only put less than 1000 miles on it as an owner, so I don't have a lot of history with it.

I will check the connections. The dampers are the Monroe replacements mentioned throughout the forum, so it looks like no manual fill method. Most of the ride will be w/o any trunk load, however it may be hauling 5-6 adults to dinner once or twice... may hafta re-think this as it'll probably be on the bump-stops, lol.

Thanks for the input, all. Any other feedback is still welcome; I am still curious to know what the "full load" pressure of the bladders might be...

Pump failure isn't all too uncommon, so yes, you may just need a new pump.

12.x volts is way too low for charging (engine running) voltage. It should be very near 14 or above.

What's your voltage with the engine OFF?

Wrote those voltages off the top of my head, I've been going through the info display regularly (for kicks) often around start up and those voltages were "low," so I re-checked after/during today's commute (about 15 miles). Incidentally I left the dome light on from like 1am to 8am (I forgot to turn it off when pulling the codes last night) - the car cranked fine and the volts were reading in the 15 range during the drive. Haven't tested it with the car off.
    I think the charging system's fine though, I'm gonna bet on the pump-motor failing from all the 'talk' they get on the forum.

Charging voltage sounds great, but I'd still check the battery (engine off) voltage before taking that trip, considering your voltage and loss of communication codes.

thanks for all the input Moist.

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

Is there a relay and a fuse for the elc? For the height sensor did you try unplugging it and making sure the connectors were clean then as well that the compressor was plugged in and clean as well. If it is the compressor motor you most likely need a new dryer as well.

Thanks, I am going to get into it this weekend. First the fuse and connections will be examined and then I will delve into the compressor (if needed) - I believe I have located it within a housing above the passenger side muffler - any experience here with access needed; i.e., does one need to drop the exhaust or anything?

Tee Three is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 DeVille 4.9L, 87 Deville, 03 Grand Marquis, 96 Yukon
    Should you need a new air compressor and drier, arnott industries will most likely have one way below dealer price. I haven't seen one for your yr model, but they may have it if you call. They haven't updated their website in years

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

...........also try the Suncore site.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.