2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; [QUOTE=thedill;2893996] If I did locate a "micro-relay" where'd you suggest getting a replacement, Radio Shack? This kind of work though ...
    OldFart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS-133,000mi, 2002 HD Road King

Re: 2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions

[QUOTE=thedill;2893996]If I did locate a "micro-relay" where'd you suggest getting a replacement, Radio Shack? This kind of work though is not my forte, I'll prolly just spring for a new RIM.[COLOR="Silver"]

If that is not your forte probably best you leave the soldering iron on the bench. I have solved relay problems by re-soldering their pins on the circuit board, they can get hairline cracks that are not visible to the eye but big enough to prevent current from passing. (As a side note, that is what repaired my EBCM on my ABS.) It is doubtful that you would be able to buy a replacement relay locally.

I don't think you need to test the inputs for the position sensor as you will have the same results, no RIM ground supplied. I say this because you do not get the test that is performed 1 minute after key on where the compressor runs for a few seconds and then if necessary the exhaust runs for a few seconds.

You've done a great job troubleshooting, and hopefully learned a bunch too, and probably can see why it was not necessary to pull the compressor from the car.

The net results of your troubleshooting is that the RIM is not supplying the ground to run the compressor. So either the RIM is defective and needs to be replaced.....or the RIM is not getting the supplied ground. The elusive question is where is the RIM getting it's ground from, the schematic does not say. It is possible it gets it's ground through its metal chassis but that is doubtful because you mentioned it was in a plastic holder.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
    The elusive question is where is the RIM getting it's ground from, the schematic does not say.
    It wouldn't be that elusive if the Op had an FSM... hint hint.

The RIM does many things besides rear level control so not all the ground inputs to the RIM will be shown on the schematic for ELC. You have to go to the Body Control System section of the FSM to find all the RIM inputs and outputs.

According to the FSM Connector End View diagrams the following RIM pin numbers should be ground.

RIM C1 connector (Blue)
    A8 (black wire)
    B8 (black wire)

thedill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

Arrow Re: 2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions

Another round today:

First test - unplug C1 & C2, turn on car (letting it sit for 1minute +) and jump some wires:
    With the car running (and me in the trunk, that's about 180# right over the axle) I jumped:

A6C1 to A9C2 - result: nothing
    B6C1 to A9C2 - result: nothing
    probed all these (A6, B6, A9) for Voltage - result: nothing

Thought process - "of course they are showing nothing, the RIM has to 'feed' them," so I turned the car off and plugged C1 & C2 back into the RIM.

Second test - Started the car back up, climbed in the trunk and probed the back-side of:

A6C1 - result: 5.02V
    B6C1 - result: 0.02V
    A9C2 - result: 3.68V

The compressor never energized. After this set of tests it would appear pretty conclusive the "relay" in the RIM is not GTG.

No RIMs on ebay (for a 2005 Deville (base)...) will keep an eye out or just spring for a new one.

The voltage's all appear to be in the "normal" range for a potentiometer.

Yes, the RIM connectors would definitely need to be connected to expect the RIM to turn the compressor on.

I would check the 2 RIM ground inputs I posted earlier in post #47 before you blame the RIM.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thedill View Post
    No RIMs on ebay (for a 2005 Deville (base)...) will keep an eye out or just spring for a new one.
    You can search salvage yards for a used one at... www.car-part.com During a quick search I turned up lots of them from $25 and way up

OldFart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS-133,000mi, 2002 HD Road King

[QUOTE=00 Deville;2894826]

I would check the 2 RIM ground inputs I posted earlier in post #47 before you blame the RIM.[COLOR="Silver"]

I agree, and the connectors should be disconnected when checking for the grounds.

Also of note, the FSM indicates the BCM will have to re-learn a new RIM.

thedill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

Smile Re: 2005 DeVille Rear Shocks, just replaced & got some questions

You guys have been a TREMENDOUS help, I literally couldn't have done any of this without you (all) or the forum, so don't take this in any way but an informative way - it's my turn to give back a lil' knowledge on this - just to make sure it's clear for future reference (literally).

The A9C2 is definitely in C2 (Connector 2) - here's why:

00 Deville - in your extremely helpful schematic re-posted in post #40 - look at the RIM, specifically the connections illustrated in the "bottom" edge. Notice that B6--------A6 is "connected" with a dash mark (as I attempted to replicate here) and the C1 is next to the A6, that's indicating that each of those two are together in the C1 connector. Also keep moving leftward, see the A9--------B8, these have the C2 next to them, indicating that they're in the C2 connector. If you go to the "top" edge you'll see the C2 is up there too. I told you I found it elucidating!!
    -and-
    As you (correctly) say in post #43
    C1=16 BLU [this is spot on, it has A1 thru A8 + B1 thru B8 = 16 connectors]
    C2=24 GRY [this is spot on, it has A1 thru A12 + B1 thru B12 = 24 connectors]

So hopefully you can see, C1 cannot have an A9 - it's physically impossible.
    Also I have spent more than a few minutes (recently) (in the trunk) looking at these little 'troublemakers' I am confident about their little hideouts....

I will test the grounds, since you have again graciously provided the info on their location - before I buy another RIM.

And lastly - I know, I know - "get a FSM"

I will!

Quote Originally Posted by thedill View Post
    The A9C2 is definitely in C2 (Connector 2) - here's why:.... Also keep moving leftward, see the A9--------B8, these have the C2 next to them, indicating that they're in the C2 connector.
    By gosh you are correct... now that you've pointed out the little ------ line I see it.

That sucker is hard to see next to the ----- line outlining the RIM.

I went back and corrected my A9C2 mistake in the previous post as to not confuse anyone reading this thread 100 years from now.
    thedill and thedill like this.

sdt1985 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

This is a great post... is this system similar to a 97 Seville

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The way in which the ELC system works is similar. All wiring information/schematics in this thread are of no use to you. If you're having a problem with your ELC system, I suggest starting your own thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.