2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I believe I may have come up with a way to determine if a 2004 Northstar has the 1.5mm thread ...
    00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch

I believe I may have come up with a way to determine if a 2004 Northstar has the 1.5mm thread pitch that the 2000-2003's have or the 2.00mm thread pitch that the 2005's have. Below is what came out of the parts catalog courtesy of Chris aka RippyPartsDept...

From this we can determine that 2004 N*'s with the following engine ID's have the M11x1.5 threads like the 00-03's have.

JBA
    JCA
    LBA
    LCA
    JKB

We can also determine the following 2004 engine ID's have the new and improved M11x2.0 threads like the 05's have.

JBB
    JBC
    JKA
    JMA
    JMB
    JPA
    JPB
    LBB
    LCB

The way I read the parts catalog... it looks like all LD8's have the 2.0mm threads and the L37's could have either the 1.5mm or the 2.0mm threads. (The LD8 came in the Base and DHS models the L37 came in the DTS model.)

Just to make sure... you can determine your engine ID by looking at the sticker attached to the passenger side of the rear rocker cover... labeled #1 in the picture below.

As you can see in the picture below my 04 Deville has an Eng ID "JMB" which would indicate that I have the 2.00mm thread pitch.

The same sticker also indicates the engine build date... mine being 05/06/04.

Below is a little more info about the thread pitch change that came out of the 2004 FSM...

"The thread pitch on the M11 cylinder head bolts and the engine block cylinder head bolt holes has been revised for MY2004."

"The MY2003 and earlier cylinder head bolts have a pitch of 1.5 mm and the length of the threads are about 48 mm (1.890 in) long."

"New for MY2004 the cylinder head bolts have a pitch of 2.0 mm and the length of the threads are about 67 mm (2.638 in) long."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch

awesome ... thanks for doing the heavy lifting here

i knew there was enough info out there to figure this out as long as someone was able to put all the pieces of the puzzle together

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

Wow, really cool information.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    awesome ... thanks for doing the heavy lifting here

i knew there was enough info out there to figure this out as long as someone was able to put all the pieces of the puzzle together

I couldn't have solved it without the critical piece of the puzzle that you came up with Chris.

If I ever find myself shopping for another 2004 I will definitely print out post#1 to take with me.

postman2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS 2000 Deville

So with the new thread pitch there have been little to no pulled head bolts? This is great information if this is true..So in 2005 they all had the new thread pitch im assuming? So in everyones opinion what anti freeze is best to help prevent any head "gasket' issues..I know these cars came with Dex Cool but I heard that it is not ideal for the head gaskets.. i know thats still a debate amongst certain people..Lol...If I should choose to run the conventional green stuff and change it every year...should I be ok?

as long as you change it when it needs to be changed you shouldn't run into any problems with either

i would stick with dexcool because that's what anyone working on the car would expect to be in there.... just in case

----------

also, no pulled bolts with the coarse threat pitch design ... but as i said in your thread just now there have been some loose bolts causing gasket failure ... but very very few
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Hate to revive an old thread, but I was looking at the sticker on the engine of my 2000 Deville and it is a "JMA". And if the OP's theory is correct that would mean it had the new longer bolts that were not available until a few years after it was made..Now im not saying that his theory is wrong..not at all..But the purpose of my post is to say that if I do indeed have the newer design then it aint much better than the old one...My head head gaskets went at 65,000 miles on this car..Is it possible that the designation "Jma" meant something different in 2000? After all I dont believe the newer bolts were even available, but if this car by some chance did have them then they aint worth a damn either..I had a few pulled threads on my head bolts...

The critical piece of information that you've missed or overlooked is that this information applies to 2004 engines... on your 2000 engine the JMA/JMB designation doesn't mean the same thing
    00 Deville and 00 Deville like this.

Quote Originally Posted by postman2000 View Post
    I was looking at the sticker on the engine of my 2000 Deville and it is a "JMA". And if the OP's theory is correct that would mean it had the new longer bolts
    Your 2000 never had the M11x2.0 threads.

If you go back and look at the title of this thread "2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch" and the actual content of post #1... you will see this entire thread and the engine ID codes only apply to the 2004 model year Deville.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 Deville View Post
    We can also determine the following 2004 engine ID's have the new and improved M11x2.0 threads like the 05's have.

JBB
    JBC
    JKA
    JMA
    JMB
    JPA
    JPB
    LBB
    LCB

beat ya to it

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post

beat ya to it

Ok Im sorry, I guess I didn't totally understand the post the first time I read it. So if these engines were out of a car and we didn't know what year they came from I guess we cant go by the "jma" or any of the other three letter codes soley..We would need to know the engine build date..You see the picture of your engine code has the date on it...mine does not for some reason..So 2004 would be the absolute soonest that the newer style bolts were available? In 2005 they all came with them? Ok cool..thanks for all your info guys...Have a safe and happy holiday!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by postman2000 View Post
    So 2004 would be the absolute soonest that the newer style bolts were available? In 2005 they all came with them?
    Yes to both questions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.