2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks Chris and Ranger..I have seen the light now..That link was very informative.....
    postman2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS 2000 Deville

Re: 2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch

Thanks Chris and Ranger..I have seen the light now..That link was very informative..

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

OMG i feel so relieved now great info i just came across the thread and just went out side at 4AM to check the label and my 04 DTS is a JKA knew she was a winner day i got her steal for $5000 grand guy took $1000 off for a cracked grill and broken rear regulator i forgot to look at when she was built but im happy now since im fixing all the little things little by little last thing i wanted to know was it kinda be for noting considering the earlier northstars are bound to go sooner or later thanks guys

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by SGWORLDWIDE View Post
    OMG i feel so relieved now great info i just came across the thread and just went out side at 4AM to check the label and my 04 DTS is a JKA
    Glad to hear that you where able to determine you have the improved 2mm thread pitch.

What's your engine build date? It's the date at the bottom of the sticker as pictured below.

Build date is 8/8/03 mmmh 03 should i be concerned? it says JKA and there werent no earlier JKA's built on the list what u guys think do i got the 2mm's?

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Build date is 8/8/03 mmmh 03 should i be concerned? it says JKA and there werent no earlier JKA's built on the list what u guys think do i got the 2mm's?
    Very interesting...
    That's an early build date on an L37 (04 DTS) engine. It must be a very small number of 04 DTS's that came with the smaller 1.5mm threads. According to the parts catalog you have the larger 2mm threads.

Hey guys HAPPY NEW YEAR anyway figured i reopen this thread okay so now we have some proof on the deville engine ID's about what thread pitch they have but what about the sevilles? 98 to 04 SLS or 98 to 03 for STS model? pre 04 has the 1.5 threads but what about a 04 SLS? and a 03 STS is also possable i think as i have a 04 DTS with a L37 built in august 03 with ID number JKA which indicates the 2.0 threads?

Biggus Blockus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Hey guys HAPPY NEW YEAR anyway figured i reopen this thread okay so now we have some proof on the deville engine ID's about what thread pitch they have but what about the sevilles? 98 to 04 SLS or 98 to 03 for STS model? pre 04 has the 1.5 threads but what about a 04 SLS? and a 03 STS is also possable i think as i have a 04 DTS with a L37 built in august 03 with ID number JKA which indicates the 2.0 threads?
    Great question! Anyone know if the 2004 SLS has the same engine codes?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Same info applies to the 2004 Sevilles here as it applies to the 2004 Devilles

check the engine ID to see which group you fall into
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JackOverIP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville

Do these engine IDs apply to the 2006 DTS also? I understand the statements that assign L37/LD8 to 2004's but would like to be absolutely certain before I buy this 2006 DTS. Just finished a $2500 time-sert head gasket job on my 97 deville Northstar.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    All '05+ Northstars have the larger bolts.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

This is very useful information here. The STS I looked at had blown HG's and I'm now pursuing an '04 Deville Base and this has me very relieved that the car could have the longer head bolts.

zentrade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Ok so i am looking at a 2004 SLS. Build date is 6/27/03 for the engine. It has JMA as the part code. But does the engine have to have been built in `04?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The 2004 model year ran from about late July 2003 to early June 2004. The engine could have been built at any time before or during that run - the engine build and ID number is on the end of the right (rear) cam cover. Many of the parts for your car's body were probably stamped out in earlier 2003 - for a "2004" car. Same for the engine parts and even the carpets.

The final build date (within 30 days) for the car is on the driver's door sticker.

Changes - in every part of the car - are (computer programmed and) made on the fly. A car built on 08/30/03 might have an entirely different widget control sensor from one that rolled off the line on 09/01/03........... and maybe different for one that was built in 05/2004 - toward the end of the 2004 year.

Thanks! Yes i was aware that although parts for any given model year could have been made at any time including the previous year(s) for that model year. I was under the belief that the engines made specifically after a certain date in 04 have the upgrade. So, not only for the model year 04 but also manufactured in 04 as well.

I guess what i am actually asking is : For all model year Northstars were the head bolts updated...or just for engines manufactured in year 2004?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.