Top speed fuel cut off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Top speed fuel cut off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is there a top speed for the 2000 Devilles posted anywhere? I heard they cut the fuel off at 110 ...
    oldsmanw31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Top speed fuel cut off

Is there a top speed for the 2000 Devilles posted anywhere? I heard they cut the fuel off at 110 mph. Is there anyway to override it?
    jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Top speed fuel cut off

Why would you need to override it if you don't even know what speed it is at....LOL LOL. Run the car up there and see where it is...

Young DeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Dark Adriatic Metallic Blue Deville Sittin on 20 Chrome

LOL I do 100 in my car like everyday. But on my 97 Deville the fuel cuts off at 112 and I'm no tech but I think you re-program the OBD and remove the restictor plate or govnor. Remember I said I think...

If you can find a way let me know

oldsmanw31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It does shut off inbetween 110 and 111. It feels like you hit the brakes for second. And "Fuel Shut-off" lights up on the display below the Speedometer. Does anyone know of a good company that they have experience with that has been able to over ride this.

I'm afraid you are out of luck. The speed limit that is set in the PCM is based on the tires the car was equipped with at the factory. Thank the trial lawyers and frivolous lawsuits for the speedlimiter as the tire and auto companies are extremely sensitive to this. To change the speed limiter the PCM would have to be reprogrammed and the PCM that is in the 2000 and later FWD Northstar Cadillacs is very difficult to hack and can be rendered brain dead very easily if tampered with.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Is the difficulty in circumventing the limiter just due to its nature, or is it because if someone figured out how to tell thier car through the overrides menu that it was equipped with Z rated tires and ran it to 150 mph with 4 doughnuts its "STILL GM'S FAULT BECAUSE I COULD" ..type of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Is the difficulty in circumventing the limiter just due to its nature, or is it because if someone figured out how to tell thier car through the overrides menu that it was equipped with Z rated tires and ran it to 150 mph with 4 doughnuts its "STILL GM'S FAULT BECAUSE I COULD" ..type of issues?

Yes.

It is technically difficult to change the speed limiter in the PCM because improperly accessing the data in the PCM can easily "brain dead" it. Also, there are calibration check sums in the algorithms so just the speed limiter value cannot be changed alone. The checksum has to be changed also. This is a means of checking the fidelity of the cal in the PCM as part of the onboard diagnostics as well as a means of protecting the PCM against hackers.

People have wrecked cars at high speed and then sued GM and the tire manufacturers because "the tires were not capable of the speed they were driving.." so...now you get speed limiters that are at the rated speed of the tire. Since a tire that is constructed and rated for high speed use is typically NOT the same tire construction wanted for ride quality and fuel economy it is typical to have lower speed rated tires on most vehicles. Higher speed rated tires come on cars with the performance capability and with an anticipated clientel that will appreciate (or tolerate) the ride quality of the high speed tires. Case in point. Cadillac equipped all the 93 STS cars with the Z rated tires and no speed limiters. Tons of ride quality complaints due to the harsher ride of the high speed tires. Later on, in 96 the Z rated tires were optional and the cars were shipped, unless otherwise specified, with lower speed rated tires that rode "softer". End of complaints about ride quality and almost no complaints about the speed limiter that was included. So....what would you do...???

Any car built without a speed limiter has the tires from the OEM with the high speed rating. IF the owner drives too fast and wrecks and doesn't have the high speed tires on then at least it is defensable that the car was shipped with the correct tires and that they were changed later. It would, admittedly, be hard to defend if a car that could go 150 were shipped with tires good for 125 and then the owener wrecked and blamed the tires coming apart at high speed..... So...there is implicitly a legal liability involved with removing the speed limiter from any car...which is why it is hard to get someone to do it and why it is protected from hackers as much as possible.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Build a circuit to half the speed sensor output. Trigger it with a toggle switch when you get to near max speed. You have to be careful, the car TRUSTS that sensor, and when it is reading 50mph and you punch it, it will downshift, even at 110 mph.... Use at your own risk....

Another thought, (bbob?). Dead sensor it. Disconnect the Speed Sensor, the ECM will have to go to default values for transshifting and speed limiting, what will it do? I wouldn't think GM would stop the car do you?

As for faster, check and see if you can reflash for overseas calibration. Germany would likely be faster.... But getting your local GM Shop to flash might be tough.

Tom

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Not all Devilles are limited to 110 (if any actually are). I know mine will do 130. So if you're just looking for another 20 miles per hour you might find out which Devilles have the higher limiter. Mines a DTS so I assume all DTSs will do it. Some DHSs might as well. Once you know, you might get the PCM reflashed or replaced with one from a car without a limiter.

Scott

MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Y U need 2 got so fast??

If you get to work dead. you wont be anygood to anybody.
    Y not take your time. live 2 C another day

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith
    Y U need 2 got so fast??

Some people like to take thier cars to the track.... not to go to work fast.

Gotta love personal responsibility... the very reason we need stuff like this.

FLEALAMI is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith
    Y U need 2 got so fast??

Mr. Smith,
    In that case why not drive to work at 15MPH, or better yet walk, or maybe work at home.....well the possibilities are endless. Life is so much more fun with a little risk involved. No long boring life for me, but then again that's just me.

Mr. Flea

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

No long boring life for me, but then again that's just me.

That's the problem. it's not just you on the roads.
    Think about life as a paraplegic or a double amputee. It can be pretty boring.

klebrun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by FLEALAMI
    Mr. Smith,
    In that case why not drive to work at 15MPH, or better yet walk, or maybe work at home.....well the possibilities are endless. Life is so much more fun with a little risk involved. No long boring life for me, but then again that's just me.

Mr. Flea
    Maybe Mr. Smith misunderstood what someone was trying to say in this thread, I don't know, but your comments do not reflect what he was trying to convey, and it does you a disservice to take them to these extremes. I can only assume from what you stated that you advocate taking these "risks" during a normal drive to work. I am all for a person taking their car or bike to the track, or to a lonely highway on a late Sunday night to do a performance test. It's difficult to resist the temptation to "see what it can do". But this is a matter of your personal responsibility to other drivers on the road, some who have children in their cars. If you want to take risks and possibly shorten your life, make sure it is you...and only you...that will suffer the consequences if something goes wrong. If you feel your driving skills are so good that you think "it can't happen to me", you're kidding yourself. Even pro race car drivers get into accidents. Your risk taking fun does not supercede the right of any individual or family to make it home without being mamed or killed. If you are just joking or if I have misunderstood what you meant, then please forgive my rant and accept my apologies. But if you are serious, you need to realize the limitations of you and your car, especially in traffic. Anyone that does performance driving on a regular basis will tell you..."Respect the Beast".

FLEALAMI is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To all ye who find it acceptable to preach to those that don't abide by the almighty 55, would you please show me where I advocated high speeds with traffic around? Actually I usually do 65 on I-95 but I have reached the Devilles cutoff point when nobody was around.
    Mr. Smith questions the need "2 got so fast??". My point is that if you are really so concerned about spending your life as a quadraplegic or killing the children then perhaps you should slow down from your "acceptable" speed. The problem is that everyone has their own acceptable speed. Remember that the guy in front of you is always the "road hog,idiot" and the guy tailgating you is the "maniac". You are "just right."
    That's why I like my second car...it goes 500mph, no tickets, and nobody preaches to me.

Flea

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.