battery not charging message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, battery not charging message in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i get a "BATTERY NOT CHARGING " message. I got the alternator rebuilt from 140 to 240 amps and battery ...
    norteno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 deville d'elegance

battery not charging message

i get a "BATTERY NOT CHARGING " message. I got the alternator rebuilt from 140 to 240 amps and battery is only 3 years old. It is an interstate 800cca. I had it load tested and it is just fine. mine is a 98 deville de'elegance. I upgraded the big three wiring (0 gauge) positive and negative wiring before all this started happening. I had put in a 1800 watt kenwood mono amp and two 12 inch subs so I figured I had better put in big wires. Things were working fine until i noticed lights dimming and amp cutting out after about 3-4 months. Then i started getting the "BATT NOT CHARGING " message so I had local alt shop rebuild alternator. So now with a rebuilt alternator and fully charged tested good battery only 3 years old, I am still getting the message and battery drains and discharges. Any ideas what this could be? I tried researching this elsewhere but could not find any definite sensible answers so I'm hoping the cadillac brothers out there can shed some light on this. THANKS!!.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Re: battery not charging message

Have you had the alternator tested since it was rebuilt? Have you inspected all alternator and battery wiring, cables and connectors?

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by norteno View Post
    So now with a rebuilt alternator and fully charged tested good battery only 3 years old, I am still getting the message and battery drains and discharges..
    You said the battery drains? Change it out. How can it be any good if it doesn't hold a charge. Alternator does not charge, change it out. How can it be any good if it doesn't charge.

OldFart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS-133,000mi, 2002 HD Road King

Is the alternator supplying over 14volts with the engine running?

If the battery was load tested good, and the alternator tests good, and it is still draining, there must be a parasitic drain. I would suspect that 1800 watt amp would drain a battery quite quickly. And it is possible the constant draining is wearing the battery out and it needs replacing, a good alternator will not charge a bad battery. We need more info to help troubleshoot. Is the amp disconnected from the power source with the key turned off?

Have you tried disconnecting the amp to see if the battery still drains? How long does it take to drain the battery, overnight, 10 minutes, two weeks? Is the battery dead after driving the car for awhile and then turning the car off?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The problem is not the battery, and probably not the (rebuilt) alternator. The problem is in the aftermarket sound system.

Thanks! I did not test voltage at alt or disconnect amp and try it that way yet but I will. I ran zero gauge from alt to pos batt post and then back to trunk to 1800 watt amp. and zero gauge neg wiring to block and another to chassis for amp. amp gets turned on by remote connected to power antenna moter in trunk and does shut off when car turned off. all wires were soldered not crimped to ring terminals, and cleaned, tightened, properly routed, fused and check with meter. The car starts just fine in the morning. its when driving for about half hour or so that message appears and the battery will steadily drain while driving until it shuts down and will just click (starter) after car dies. I know cuz I tried making it home before it stopped but did not and had to get towed. After these upgrades of amp and wiring the car ran fine and amp and speakers kicked good for about 3-4 months before getting first "BATT NOT CHARGING" message. that's when I decided to have amp rebuilt to 240 amps. The rebuilder has been in business for 76 yrs and seem reputable. He said he replaced, diodes, stator, brushes, but I did not ask about voltage regulator but I will on Monday. Could this possibly cause the problem?? I want to remove alt myself this time but see where it is at. Any advice, tips on how to take it out?? thanks again brother Cadillacers

well I charged battery up and put it in and connected voltmeter to battery. It read 12.5V. Started car up and it dropped to 11.4V. turned fan on high and brights on and turned up bass on amp and it dropped to about 11.2V. I tried this with both amp connected and disconnected and got same results. I turned car off and after about 10-15 minutes, voltmeter went back up to 12.4V. I took this to meant that battery can hold a charge and alternator is still bad even after rebuild. Does that make sense, not to me?? I want to take the alt out myself but it looks difficult, any ideas or tips on how to get it out?? I do have a one year warranty on alt but I haven't asked shop yet if voltage regulator replacement was part of the rebuild. Can voltage regulator cause this to happen??

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Put a voltmeter on the pos. battery post to ground it should read around 14 volts with engine running. Its quite likely you blew the regulator on the alternator.

I pulled mine by dropping it from under the car not easy but not hard. I was not happy.

I'm not a fan of rebuilt alternators unless I rebuild them.Mike

millsrossi216 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville Base

Post Re: battery not charging message

2002 Cadillac Deville Base model , car not starting , battery reads 11.6 while car is off, checked codes from DIC in each module. The car will start if jumped. I'm a newbie to this , I think the battery needs to be replaced , not sure.

in all modules except PCM RCC VTD

u1000
    u1016

current codes RIM

c0655
    c0660

no codes

PCM
    RCC
    VTD

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

U codes are usually caused bu low voltage, which you have. The others are in the Master Index of codes contained in the "obd2" link in the ^^^ "How to pull codes" sticky.

When a battery reads 11.9 volts, unloaded and idle for a half hour, it is dead.

I got the alternator out and brought it back. The rebuilder said it was the voltage regulator that went bad (you were right Mike), he said he had been using a foreign supplier. He put in a factory one at no charge and now it works just fine, 14.4 volts idling. No more battery not charging messages or fading headlights when bass turned up and amp is getting all the power it needs. Thanks for all your help. Getting alt in and out was a bitch tho. I, 1) jacked car up, 2) removed front passenger side wheel and wheelwell cover, 3) removed plastic cover over radiator, passenger side cooling fan and metal access plate underneath car where alternator can be lowered, 4) loosened belt with breaker bar in tensioner, 5) loosened two alt bolts from wheel well area, 5) crawled underneath car and disconnected POS alt ring terminal and electrical clip, 6) still underneath car I loosened lower alternator bolt and (here's where it gets difficult). 7) I loosened the rear alternator bracket while the alternator was loose and held up out of the way by bungee cord. Then I went about about loosening rear alternator bracket which is tucked way up in the engine with very little working room. One of the rear bracket bolts is recessed but you can get it with a three inch extension and deep well socket, one is accessible from wheelwell (that was easy) and one is on the upper part of bracket that i had to loosen with a box wrench 1/8 turn at a time. Then worked it out with two fingers reaching way up there while still lying on my back under car. That was challenging. 8) Now I'm out from underneath and working from the top. One of the alternator bolts does not come out completely out, it can be loosened but it hits something, I think it hits the exhaust manifold? It is about 1/4 inch too long to come fully out. 9)I had to twist and turn and even pry it away just to get alternator free. 10) I then removed bracket first then loosened alternator from from bungee cord and lowered it through access panel (underneath car again). It didn't take long at all like I heard it did. Now getting that bracket back in was easy but bolting it in was a bear. It's that upper bracket bolt that I had to literally start it with two fingers try after try until it finally caught. 11) Then the alt would not get past that bolt that was hitting the manifold so I could bolt it back in. It was the last one I needed to get in the bolt hole but it was just too close or tight or whatever. So now I'm pissed. It wouldn't back out so I could slide alt past it. It was sticking out about 1/8 in too much and alt kept hitting it when I tried to swing it in place to align up the other bolts. So I thought I'm gonna hack saw that thing off and replace it with a shorter one. It worked!! Slid everything back in, bolted things up and started and test drove it and put voltmeter on and check voltage idling, running, accelerating and with engine off. It tested good. Thanks to everyone listened and who helped and read this. WOW!

OldFart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS-133,000mi, 2002 HD Road King

Glad to hear you got her running again. Thanks for posting the update.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.