R12 to R134a RETROFIT - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, R12 to R134a RETROFIT in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano There should be no problem converting to R134a. I converted a friend's 90 deville to ...
    DReffects is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special 4.9l V8, '01 Sebring Convertible, '13 300C

Re: R12 to R134a RETROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano View Post
    There should be no problem converting to R134a. I converted a friend's 90 deville to R134a and it's run fine now for 3 years. He lives in South Florida so the system gets a work out and has plenty of capacity.

The real key to success is to make sure the system is cleaned of as much of the old oil and purged of R12. The accumulator must be replaced to get a fresh dessicant charge in the system. This is the part that is most often skipped and causes problems as the R134a will not operate at maximum efficiency if there is not a fresh dessicant charge in the system. Charge the system to the same charge as was specified for R12. Do not be tempted or convinced to charge to a lesser amount due to some ficticious R134a "conversion" factor. Use the correct charge for R12. If done this way the system will cool fine and will not set any low refrigerant codes. The diagnostics will work fine with the R134a if it is charged correctly.
    Excellent guide! Where can i find these GM Converter Kits?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I don't think they're GM kits ... if there were GM kits they don't sell them anymore

ask around at the local parts stores for a converstion/retrofit kit

we have used the fourseasons brand part #26240 with good success over the years
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm not sure there are "kits". You simply buy a new accumulator, service ports and probably a new condenser as they are all but impossible to flush (you need to remove the old R12 mineral oil).
    http://autoacrepairs.com/134aConversion.htm

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

OK, I guess that would fit the "kit" description, but you still need more parts and isn't that the wrong oil?

i think that's the correct oil ... it's in a kit for R134a so it should be oil for a R134a system (the one we have in stock says R134a on it)

and yea, you should probably replace the accumulator also but that "kit" is universal to all GM cars but the accumulators are different so they don't make a ton of kits with that and the different accumulators ...

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by D4262 View Post
    I own a 1991 Sedan Deville that I love more than my wife and kids [well....at least my wife].
    That's so sorry it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by D4265 View Post
    The R12 AC system has a very minor leak to were the compressor has shut down via the F47 code.

Rather than trying to find some R12 and topping-out, I would like to convert to a R134a Retrofit. However, I've read where a conversion on 88-93 Caddy's is a problem because of the low temperature evaporator sensor.

Has anyone here done a SUCCESSFUL conversion that has lasted a couple years and tell me what steps I need to follow to accomplish the same?

Thank You
    Carl
    I use the procedure GM used to have out back in the times when this subject was more relevant. I don't know if it will cause any problems with the Cadillac sensors but I've never had any problems using it.

LINK:http://www.e38.org/pparish/gm-rp.htm

Vernon

Team ZR-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I did a R12 to R134A freon swap about 4 weeks ago on my 1993 SedanDeville and read all kinds of you musts do, etc
    for whatever reason of past owner, there was no freon in the system at all

Well I bought a convert kit for like $50 and I never have done this before simply started with zero pressure in freon lines and used about 40 ounces ( put 20 ounces in 1 day too see if pressure held and then another 20 ounces next day) from this special R134a mix.
    I knew nothing about doing a vacuum, so that was not done and as to volume maker of this kit says due to the makeup of R134a to use 85% of volume to what older R12 volume would be.
    I rather used low pressure value about 35 PSI read by pressure gauge to what the weather temp was as that says if the freon volume is about correct.
    Been a month and have had zero problems and measuring air coming out of vents is around 45 degrees on a 75-80 degree day.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i think that's the correct oil ... it's in a kit for R134a so it should be oil for a R134a system (the one we have in stock says R134a on it)
    Every FSM I have seen refers to PAG150. Maybe the two are compatible.

Hmm no idea either besides that we use it from time to time with no problems.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Wow, this thread took a 8 year jump.

It's been a while since I've dealt with this but I think there is an oil that is compatible with both R134 and R12. It's not needed if you pull vacuum and service the system properly.

that sounds right to me ...

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

I flushed, replaced the orifice with OEM, sealed all lines connections, new accumulator, Ester oil in components as FSM instructed-not all in one component, added the adapter valves, pulled a vacuum and held for 3 hours no drop, filled with r134a. That was in 4/10/2010 and still blowing cold 40 degrees out the vents 43k miles later. Still running the original condenser, original compressor, all of the original lines.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.