2000-2005 Surge Tank Dissection
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 00 Deville
  • 2 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2000-2005 Surge Tank Dissection in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I decided to open up a Deville surge tank to determine how the float and switch that gives the "low ...
    00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

2000-2005 Surge Tank Dissection

I decided to open up a Deville surge tank to determine how the float and switch that gives the "low coolant" message works. As you can see in the pictures below inside the pressurized portion of the tank is a float with a magnet on it. The magnet causes a magnetic reed switch to make or break contact to display the low coolant message. The reed switch is not in the pressurized portion of the tank it's held in by a small locking tab and is easily replaceable. Just grab the center tang with needle nose pliers and it easily pulls out.

2000-2005 Deville Surge Tank

Reed switch being removed.

Float with magnet on left.... Reed Switch being removed from cavity on right.

Removed Float with magnet on left.... removed Reed switch on right... notice how the Reed switch is coming apart... it's also corroded at the point of separation. I also found a small crack near the top of the Reed switch.
    RedG49 and RedG49 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: 2000-2005 Surge Tank Dissection

In your third picture, is that a buildup of scale in the tank or is that from the saw blade??

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

NICE!

I've been wanting to see how this particular level sensor worked for years. Thanks for posting it.

I (as well as others) always thought that it was internal and not serviceable. The $64,000 question is where to get a new sensor. I'm not sure it is available separately.
    RedG49 and RedG49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    In your third picture, is that a buildup of scale in the tank or is that from the saw blade??
    What you see in the picture is from the saw blade. The tank did have quite a bit of build up of sludge in it... I suspect from the seal tabs. I actually rinsed the sludge off the float with a garden hose before taking the 3rd picture... so you could see the float better. This particular tank is from my 2002 Deville my 2004 Deville tank has no sludge in it due to no seal tabs being used. After opening up this tank and seeing the sludge I see why GM quit using the seal tabs as routine maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I (as well as others) always thought that it was internal and not serviceable. The $64,000 question is where to get a new sensor. I'm not sure it is available separately.
    I too have always thought they were not replaceable. I have seen the sensors both on ebay and online parts stores. The sensor has a part number stamped on it... 31-2-23415

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-C...item56424e3636

The inside of the tank is compartmentalized with small holes in the walls to allow coolant to pass between compartments. Notice the brown sludge... the lighter color debris is from the saw.

Close up of the coolant tab sludge.

The dark line on the reed switch is a crack... sorry for the poor quality of my camera phone.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Summagun.........went out to the shop and opened the spare coolant reservoir box - the Seville reservoir is the same - out pops the reed switch.

I too have always thought they were not replaceable. I have seen the sensors both on ebay and online parts stores. The sensor has a part number stamped on it... 31-2-23415
    Well that takes care of the sensor, but not the float. I wonder which fails more often.

After opening up this tank and seeing the sludge I see why GM quit using the seal tabs as routine maintenance.
    And why I quit using them years ago. Imagine what that does to your heater core and radiator. I don't think they are really necessary and I think GM finally realized that as well (actually, I think they realized before me).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Well that takes care of the sensor, but not the float. I wonder which fails more often.
    The only way I can see the float would "fail" is if it where to get stuck from the gunk buildup from the seal tabs.

The reason I replaced this tank was I noticed during a coolant change the "Low Coolant" message was not coming on when the coolant level was low. I tapped on the side of the tank with a rubber mallet to try to free a stuck float to no avail. I do like the new tank... you can actually see how much coolant is in the tank without taking the cap off.

The only way I can see the float would "fail" is if it where to get stuck from the gunk buildup from the seal tabs.
    I suspect you are right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.