Air riders in 92 DeVille rear suspension
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Air riders in 92 DeVille rear suspension in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 92 deville's rear air riders are just about shot, and I heard that they're not cheap (~$200 each). Has ...
    blkchrry92dvl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Air riders in 92 DeVille rear suspension

My 92 deville's rear air riders are just about shot, and I heard that they're not cheap (~$200 each). Has anyone retrofitted cheaper alternative shocks instead? I'd be willing to sacrifice ride quality if the price is right.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    there are normal passive shocks for devilles, and i dont think it would be to hard to put them on, just make sure to take out or unplug the air pump so its not on all the time trying to put air in a shock thats not there.

Is the air pump/compressor under the hood of the car or in the trunk? I sometimes hear buzzing noise from the front of the car, especially when I try to jack up the car's front end; I thought it was that load-leveling system working the pump. When should these air bags expected to fail so that the car's rearend begins to sag? I have about 140,000mi and carry almost no one else in the car 99% of the time. Just wondering if it's even worth bothering with replacing the air bags in the first place.

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    if your cars not sagging, dont bother with the rear. But yes its under the hood, should be on the drivers side fender by the battery.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    there are no air bags, they are air shocks....and it isn't the auto level thing that will kill ya, it's the speed sensitive supsension, they are electronic shocks, and that is why they are alot of money to rpelace, you can still get air shocks and hook them up to the compressor, but you woudln't have the comptuer command ride thingy....

Re: Air riders in 92 DeVille rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    there are no air bags, they are air shocks....and it isn't the auto level thing that will kill ya, it's the speed sensitive supsension, they are electronic shocks, and that is why they are alot of money to rpelace, you can still get air shocks and hook them up to the compressor, but you woudln't have the comptuer command ride thingy....

I'm told by my mechanic that I DO NOT have computer controlled shocks (and I heard they're far more expensive to replace). However, he said I do have "air riders", and I'm sure they're not air springs as I saw coil springs there. I guess my original question was: can I retrofit cheaper replacements instead of factory ones?

And DeVillish, my battery is on the passenger side of the car. And yes I do agree that it's under the hood, as I heard buzzing noises coming from there, although now I would have to find out where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by blkchrry92dvl
    I'm told by my mechanic that I DO NOT have computer controlled shocks (and I heard they're far more expensive to replace). However, he said I do have "air riders", and I'm sure they're not air springs as I saw coil springs there. I guess my original question was: can I retrofit cheaper replacements instead of factory ones?

And DeVillish, my battery is on the passenger side of the car. And yes I do agree that it's under the hood, as I heard buzzing noises coming from there, although now I would have to find out where it came from.
    ok, I am sorry, '92 it was an option, '93 and it became standerd.

about the shocks, I am sure you can, we did that with my mothers '89 Brougham, and still have th auto-level thing....

....also with that car, cargo springs helped out ALOT

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    ok, I am sorry, '92 it was an option, '93 and it became standerd.

about the shocks, I am sure you can, we did that with my mothers '89 Brougham, and still have th auto-level thing....

....also with that car, cargo springs helped out ALOT
    Can you tell me what brand/model shocks you used in that 89 brougham if you remember? BTW, 89 brougham uses the same body as 92 deville, right?

I don't remember the brand or name...... the '89 Brougham and '93 DeVille are 2 completly differnt cars, the Brougham is the big, older RWD body on frame platform, the DeVille is the smaller uni-body FWD platform....

.... I remember they were air shocks, and you can lower or raise them by a normal air hose, and then we bought the kit to make them work with the compressor built in the car for the auto level thing...... they weren't that expensive either, I think we got them at Napa or something like that.

Coupe deBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hello everyone!

I'm brand new here. This has got to be ultimate Cadillac website!

The above topic is one I've been searching about for years.

I have an 89 coupe deville with an air compressor thats turns on frequently, even when parked completely empty and level. It's annoying.
    The shocks and struts are good, new front strunts about 8 years ago.

How can I disable the compressor or fix it? Factory service manual doesn't help.

Regards,

Bill

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Hey Bill, welcome aboard. The factory service manual is NO HELP? Yikes!
    Anyway, if the compressor is coming on, at least that shows it works. Just sounds like there's an air leak in either the lines to the shocks or the shocks themselves. Pretty easy to diagnose with a spray bottle of soapy water.

wildoaf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a 92. The rears are "self leveling" and have "airbags" in them. Mine does not have computer controlled ride.

Replacements were about $80 each at Autozone.

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by blkchrry92dvl
    My 92 deville's rear air riders are just about shot, and I heard that they're not cheap (~$200 each). Has anyone retrofitted cheaper alternative shocks instead? I'd be willing to sacrifice ride quality if the price is right.
    Parts stores carry Monroe replacements for $60-110 depending on what you want. Air replacements w/auto leveling and w/o electronics are about $63 each. Not too bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.