SES Light - Misfire
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, SES Light - Misfire in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I diagnosed my problem earlier yesterday with a reader. If i remember right it was misfire cylinder 1. I bought ...
    bigpoppa0508 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Deville Pearl White

SES Light - Misfire

I diagnosed my problem earlier yesterday with a reader. If i remember right it was misfire cylinder 1. I bought Ac Delco platinum spark plugs and did the front 4. The light went off and ran fine, no rough idle etc. Today it came back, rough idle, poor acceleration.

Could it be the back 4 spark plugs? if it is i plan to take it to a mechanic asap because i cant find a way to get the rear coil out plus i got 3 classes tomorrow. If anyone out there can post pics or directions to take it out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also any opinion on what else it could be besides spark plugs because front 4 change out turned off the SES light.

Appreciate everything this forum has to offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pie
    Pie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

re: SES Light - Misfire

Hey!

I just finished dealing a somewhat similar problem in my 2000 deville.

The rear bank of spark plugs is rear centre in the engine bay. Pull the cover off of the top, and you should be able to lean over the engine and see the second ignition coil bank. I'm pretty sure our engine bays look the same, so you'll probablt notice a bracket with two bolts holding a cable in a really inconvenient place.

Disconnect the cable, take off the bracket (10mm bolts, same as your coil cassette bolts.) and get the rear spark plugs changed.

I ended up having to change the ignition coil cassettes. If you're willing to wait, you can get them pretty cheap (several hundred dollars each) or you can get them from a dealership. (Here in edmonton, they wanted $500 each)

With all that being said, it would help alot if you could pull and provide all the codes in your car.

I will do that at first dawn.

What are the chances of it being the spark plugs and not the coil cassette?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No one can tell you that. It could be either.

If you are going to change plugs, you should always do all of them.

When was the last time the TB was cleaned?

Re: SES Light - Misfire

Oh i understand i just didnt have time that day to finish struggling with the back ignition pack. I just seafoamed my car and cleaned tb a week ago. i did the front spark plugs 2 days ago.

I have the following codes of amp U1000, amp U1128, ipm B0429, pcm P0201 History.

Pie

alright, well, if you take a few moments to look up thosse codes, you can find the definitions, and they tell you exactly what's wrong.

P0201 - fuel injector 1 control circuit
    B0429 - temp control #3 rear circuit range/performance
    U1128 - Loss of Communications with IRC
    U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction

If I were a betting man, (which I have been known to be) I would suggest that your fuel injector is the cause of your misfire.

so the other codes wont affect nothing? im gonna go have the sparks and fuel injector done. Cadillac dealership is having a 50 diagnostic special. should i do that before replacing the fuel injector?

Pie

sure the other codes will have an impact, or have had an impact. which ones were history and which were current?

You could get them to run the diagnostic, it never hurts.

Odds are they'll just throw the same information at you. Maybe suggest that you get your breaks done, and some stuff with your suspension.

the injector code had history next to it. the current ones are the radio and communications and a/c.

I just ordered ac delco fuel injector from rockauto. Im gonna go with your expertise and advice and not waste the 50 and put that towards the fuel injector labor fee. Unless its easy enough to do, then ill do it myself.

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

B0429 is your rear seat temp control; if you haven't noticed anything wrong with it, you can ignore this one.

The "U" codes are common on these cars, and come & go. Not a problem unless they stay "current" for multiple days.

The P0201 code triggered your SES. If it stays in history for 3 consecutive cycles, the SES will go out. The code itself will stay in history for 40 cycles and then go away, unless it fails the test again, which will make it current & re-light the SES.

Anyone with prior experience to fuel injector replacement on cylinder 1?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa0508 View Post
    Oh i understand i just didnt have time that day to finish struggling with the back ignition pack. I just seafoamed my car and cleaned tb a week ago. i did the front spark plugs 2 days ago.

I have the following codes of amp U1000, amp U1128, ipm B0429, pcm P0201 History.
    Why does everyone want to dump that snake oil in the engine and then wonder why it does not run right? All that crap does is smoke up the neighborhood and foul your plugs, not to mention transfer money from your pocket to theirs.

To replace the injector you need to relieve the fuel rail pressure, disconnect the rail from the supply line, unbolt the mounting bolts and then lift the rail and injectors. Unplug #1 and remove it from the rail.

it costed me 10 bucks max for doing the sea foam. i like to classify myself as a lazy do it yourselfer but when i cant or dont have time i'll pay labor.

I just wanna thank everyone for their help and input.

Did you fix the problem? What was it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.