Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; all good info guys mtflight... i might be able to get you a deal on your Ultras... check w/ me ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville

all good info guys
    mtflight... i might be able to get you a deal on your Ultras... check w/ me before you purchase
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

gopher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    all good info guys
    mtflight... i might be able to get you a deal on your Ultras... check w/ me before you purchase

This is timely information, however, to throw a wrench in the works, the AC Delco
    book quotes ABSORBER KIT,RR LVLG SHK DUAL PKG
    Part Number: 504-97
    Product Notes:
    [Rear Levelling Shock Absorber Kit(VPI 1-877-846-8243)]; Hearse Conversion (B9Q) ; Limo pkg (V4U) ; Hvy Duty Susp (FE7) ; Except; Armored body equipment (B05)

Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 2000-2000

for my application.... Its 6'' stretch ( 8 bolt rim) similar to the DES of previous years...
    Can the MA822 be used here, as Monroe indicates, too....?

Thanks in advance

You sure you have the heavy duty limo/hearse options?
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

all good info guys
    Thanks Chris. I purchased the front struts a week ago, because they have a sale going on through the end of the month (4 parts = 1 free (basically 20% off the total)).

I replaced the rears with the Gabriel Hi Jackers and the spring inside the compressor with the one that comes in the box. Side by side, the shocks were virtually identical, aside from subtle number differences.

Both made in Mexico and both came in the same white cardboard box. I had to replace the lines (one of my factory lines was cut--probably contributing to the failure in the first place), and my biggest question was how to connect the Gabriel air hose to the compressor. I ended up cutting the short passenger side line in half, then gently applying heat to the Gabriel Air hose ends, while inserting a small diameter screw driver. Then I inserted the OE halves into it, like a sleeve. I then used heat shrink on top of that, and then some more, to create an airtight seal (the hose sleeve itself was airtight but just in case).

So after replacing the spring and shocks, I noticed a difference in ride. No more noise, and the shocks are actually better than I anticipated in that they're not as bouncy, but rather smooth. The ACDelcos that came off, sometimes felt like my tires were overinflated--and there was that annoying knock sound. I'm sure that would've changed if the dryer spring were included. I simply didn't want to keep paying more for what already comes in the Gabriel box, especially after figuring out it was the same product. I would've saved even more had I not discarded my original shock mounts. :-(

I see that with the new spring the shocks remain full through power-down too, maintaining minimum PSI, so that the upper shaft isn't exposed. I'm happy that I replaced the lines, and the shocks and I am getting some money back for the swap.

nice...

Its got the 8 bolt rims as pictured in the following listing...
    http://cgi.http://www.onlinelimousin...ls.php?RID=270

except mine's a 2000 and silver...

??

ok, just making sure

the other option is the FE7 suspension option... it seems as though you may have that

i can't get that 504-97 acdelco number to come up anywhere... (VPI means it's been discontinued and you have to buy them from VPI instead of GM)
    but the MA822 is the same as acdelco 504-547 GM#88946635 - which has been one of the parts discussed extensively in this thread

i would guess that you're not going to be able to use the MA822 and that the 504-97 is different (although it might work)

i can sell the OEMs with limo pkg (V4U) & without up-armor pkg (B05)
    88964541 & 88964542 $158 each (list price is $216 each)
    if you do have the B05 up-armor pkg then they will cost about $100 more each

ok, just making sure

the other option is the FE7 suspension option... it seems as though you may have that

i can't get that 504-97 acdelco number to come up anywhere... (VPI means it's been discontinued and you have to buy them from VPI instead of GM)
    but the MA822 is the same as acdelco 504-547 GM#88946635 - which has been one of the parts discussed extensively in this thread

i would guess that you're not going to be able to use the MA822 and that the 504-97 is different (although it might work)

i can sell the OEMs with limo pkg (V4U) & without up-armor pkg (B05)
    88964541 & 88964542 $158 each (list price is $216 each)
    if you do have the B05 up-armor pkg then they will cost about $100 more each
    Thanks for this info.. Would you mail to Canada when I need them...?

Monroe mentions the 822. The car has load levellers, with no electronics.
    I ll see if theres any sign of a part number left on them when its up on the hoist monday..

Thanks again

I Suppose you could check by vin?

i did not use a VIN... that would be a good idea though - just to make sure

shipping to Canada gets complex - we use UPS and they have their own customs broker so we 'can' ship to Canada, it just gets a bit more expensive
    you can arrange for shipping and email me a shipping label - that's another option

koolfred2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville Dts

If u have not done them yet, you should ck out rock auto.com they carry ac delco and monroe at reduced prices. Just ank god that u dont have a dts with active damping shocks like me, my R/R went out and set me back $350 for 1. I ordered a monre because the a/c delco was $500-$600

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

the MA822 is the same as acdelco 504-547 GM#88946635 - which has been one of the parts discussed extensively in this thread
    Actually it's the Gabriel Hi Jacker that's the same as the ACDelco, not the Monroe. The Monroes require less modification because they are direct-fit OE lines (make sure the lines are good first) and cost less too. The Gabriels (and AC Delcos) require changing the spring inside the dryer. It's a good idea to either get a new dryer or have it refurbished by Suncore. Else it may be saturated and could eventually lead to a failed compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by koolfred2002 View Post
    If u have not done them yet, you should ck out rock auto.com they carry ac delco and monroe at reduced prices. Just ank god that u dont have a dts with active damping shocks like me, my R/R went out and set me back $350 for 1. I ordered a monre because the a/c delco was $500-$600
    Re checking with Monroe, I was sure the MA822 was specified, but seems to be excluded for Limo or Armoured now..

Rock Auto is a neat site.. thanks...
    but Im lost now.. eliminating the Monroe and AC equivalent, Im reading
    ''
    ACDELCO Part # 504123 {#19177314, 19207418, 22064810, 504109, 50496} WHEN REPLACING 19207418 W/OEM ABS, DON'T ORDER T/W 19210500; Alip-On Air Line, Pair
    ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK WHEN REPLACING PART NUMBER 19207418 WITH AN OEM ABSORBER DON'T ORDER PN 19207418 T/W KIT PN 19210500. THE KIT IS NOT REQUIRED; w/SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1); CODE:RE,XF
    ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK WHEN REPLACING PART NUMBER 19207418 WITH AN OEM ABSORBER DON'T ORDER PN 19207418 T/W KIT PN 19210500. THE KIT IS NOT REQUIRED; w/SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1); CODE:BD,W2'

Is the a chart that x references AC Delco and GM part #'s??

UPS is very punitive to import as they charge obscene brokerage rates to collect
    the dreaded Canadian HST on parcels being imported.. even under free trade..

ps
    Whats a reasonable price for new CV half shafts...?

Greg

Hi
    VIN: 1GEEH90YXYU######

without the full VIN i can't check the option codes

Smile Re: Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville

Hi Chris..
    Whats the current price on the pair 88964541/2
    and would you know the price of replacement front struts for the front.. Will send you vin to confirm FE7 or V4U..thanks
    ...to Grand Island NY... ( I have an idea)

thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.